AMD Drops Prices on RX 470, RX 460 in Face of GTX 1050 Launch

SighTurtle

[H]ard|Gawd
AMD Drops Prices on RX 470, RX 460 in Face of GTX 1050 Launch

AMD's price reduction drops the RX 460 2GB to a $100 MSRP (from ~$110), with the RX 470 dropped down to ~$170 MSRP (from $180). Now, that said, we have not been able to find an RX 470 available for less than $200 for the last few weeks. Launch day had a PowerColor RX 470 available at $180 – a good deal, and a price at which we recommended the then-uncontested card – but all the units seem to be $200 now. At that price, the RX 480 4GB makes more sense – also $200 MSRP, though generally $210-$220.

AMD might as well just scrap the RX460, nobody will touch that junk product after the 1050 release and they won't make be able to make any profit of it after the real price cuts anyway. They are smoking good crack if they think they can sell them at $100.

Yeah its AMD we need to worry about ripping of its consumers...Didnt see any Founders edition 480's? oh yeah because up until this generation those were to lowly reference designs no one wanted...Nvidia thought they'd milk their enthusiast market and release only them first, with that $50 price premium of course...Talk about bite the hand that feeds you... The reason for inflated RX 4X0 cards is the damn crypto currency miners. AMD MSRP is at the correct levels, blame the retailers

The 460 has gone uncontested for the past two months, its due for a $10 drop. Ive got one in my HTPC, it works slick undervolted, power draw is nothing on it. 59w @ 1224Mhz using 1010mv and silent

Maybe AMD needs to learn how to undervolt. I agree, I can undervolt by quite a lot on all my AMD GPUs in the past. Especially the R9 Nano.

Yeah its AMD we need to worry about ripping of its consumers...Didnt see any Founders edition 480's? oh yeah because up until this generation those were to lowly reference designs no one wanted...Nvidia thought they'd milk their enthusiast market and release only them first, with that $50 price premium of course...Talk about bite the hand that feeds you... The reason for inflated RX 4X0 cards is the damn crypto currency miners. AMD MSRP is at the correct levels, blame the retailers

The 460 has gone uncontested for the past two months, its due for a $10 drop. Ive got one in my HTPC, it works slick undervolted, power draw is nothing on it. 59w @ 1224Mhz using 1010mv and silent
When AMD finally instigates a price cut on Nvidia there will be plenty of worship and praise for team red, rest assured. Just waiting for them to pull Vega out of their rumps.

My post was 100% snark, btw.

When AMD finally instigates a price cut on Nvidia there will be plenty of worship and praise for team red, rest assured. Just waiting for them to pull Vega out of their rumps.

Quite right there should be praise cause that means there would be competition, i.e cheaper cards, about the only thing I'm sure every person buying a GPU wishes for.

Nothing wrong with hoping AMD gets back on its feet.

Oh of course. And even better all the people praising them will still go buy nvidia, even if it's not as good, just because nvidia = apple and 6 years ago amd drivers were shit.

Oh of course. And even better all the people praising them will still go buy nvidia, even if it's not as good, just because nvidia = apple and 6 years ago amd drivers were shit.

Tbh, unless I'm wrong about drivers, hasn't the improvement been only about since a year, when RTG was set up in September 2015?

Tbh, unless I'm wrong about drivers, hasn't the improvement been only about since a year, when RTG was set up in September 2015?

RTG helped a lot with getting quicker updates (e.g. the rare 'game flat out refuses to play' scenario) but really the main issues which most people remember were in the early 7970 days, some crashing driver issues on desktop, shitty support in some cases but overall, I didn't find it any more frustrating than issues I had with nvidia drivers when driving some slightly more exotic projector resolutions, eight years ago via VGA... Either way I'm not going to keep bagging on either of them for something that is in the past and a non-issue these days.

CFX/SLI, yeah sure, flame away they both suck driver wise but even Nvidia dropped the ball with Win10 drivers, AMD had them sorted at launch and no one said shit.. guess it takes a while to get that association with shit drivers to go away.

Maybe AMD needs to learn how to undervolt. I agree, I can undervolt by quite a lot on all my AMD GPUs in the past. Especially the R9 Nano.

Just a shame they wouldn't pass quality checks.

Quite right there should be praise cause that means there would be competition, i.e cheaper cards, about the only thing I'm sure every person buying a GPU wishes for.

Nothing wrong with hoping AMD gets back on its feet.

Cards wouldn't be cheaper. Its just a matter of performance metrics at the price.

Eh, with Windows 10 the driver issues have been a bit of a wash anyway. The problem is the stigma of hot and slow is starting to be more prevalent with each new release from AMD. They won't be able to win like this.

AMD might as well just scrap the RX460, nobody will touch that junk product after the 1050 release and they won't make be able to make any profit of it after the real price cuts anyway. They are smoking good crack if they think they can sell them at $100.

They just need to keep pushing the "Tru Async Compute" angle, delivered performance doesn't matter! :p

Now that the 1050 and 1050Ti are out do you think RX470 and 460 prices are going back up? I think AMD could afford actually jacking up the price an extra $10 (even more so on the 470) and still be the price/performance leader.

Now that the 1050 and 1050Ti are out do you think RX470 and 460 prices are going back up? I think AMD could afford actually jacking up the price an extra $10 (even more so on the 470) and still be the price/performance leader.

The 1050 and 1050TI utterly destroys the 460 in all metrics. If anything it needs further cuts. The 470 is now needed to compete against the 1050TI in the form of the 470D. AMD needs a 232mm2 chip to compete against a 135mm2.Not pretty.

The TPU 1050 Ti review seems to suggest that the MSI card tested (at +$25 over MSRP) is not a great bargain vs. say a RX 470 card. In fact, nearly all of the 1050 Ti cards on Newegg are over MSRP and that's certainly not going to help. Guess the card makers are playing the usual bleed the early adopters game.

AMD just needs to keep competing where it is.
460 = 1050/Ti
470 = 1060 3GB
480 = 1060 6GB

The need to get something put together for the X70 card.

Back