amd driver has stopped responding, on an ati 7970

Seriously AMD? I thought this shit was fixed. It did not happen while I was gaming, just watching vids/internet. It took like 2 seconds, screen froze, and then it all came back (everything was normal again, and it fixed itself). I used to get this error WAYYYYYYYYYY MORE on the ati 5870. One would think that AMD solved this issue.

Son. I am dissapoint.

windows 7 fully reformated and installed.

Brand new system, bought a couple of months ogo; asus p8p67 pro 3.0 b3, sapphire 7970, new 700 watt psu (some ocz shit), new muskin ddr3 ram etc...

look dude,

computer hardware fucks up sometimes. expecting perfection is ridiculous, and the whole "really AMD" thing is played out nonsense. Expecting perfection isn't realistic. This thread is disappoint. Son. And seriously, your pc didn't lock up, freeze or blue screen, you got nothing to complain about, and if I am honest about it, it sounds like a driver conflict and may have nothing to do with your video card.

all my love,

stealthy123

Probably a pointless question, but is it overclocked? I had the same problem when oc'ing using AB/Trixx, stable in games but sometimes driver crashes when running media or when launching BF3. Trying using stock settings or only CCC now to see if it helps...

I get the same crash on my work laptop with nvidia every once in a while. So I guess I am dissappoint also.

What drivers you were using?

I had this problem with the first set of the drivers released for the 7970 but haven't seen it much since I started using the RC11 drivers with my single 7970. The only time I've seen it since is after I upgraded my Intel graphics drivers on my P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3 motherboard but it stopped after I rolled back the Intel drivers. Your mobo doesn't have built-in graphics so obviously not the cause of your problem but it does illustrate the relative instability of any of the drivers available so far for the 7970. I've owned the Radeon 4870 and the 5850 and I don't think I ever saw this crash with those cards.

amd driver stopped working === nvidia'ws driver stopped working === TDR issues that haven't been succesfully fixed at all because they come from an overzealous OS and not so much from hardware problems.

I invite you to try and do that "Vista" fix and see if it works with Windows 7, it is what i am doing at the moment (although my standard fix was to force 3d speeds for the videocard's memory at all times, this works until the vidcard goes to sleep)

EDIT TO ADD:

Vista fix:
open up regedit.
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>GraphicsDrivers
Right click on the right window, add new Key "TdrLevel" caps do matter.
Click on your new key, then right click on the right window and add a new DWORD "TdrLevelOff"

exit and well, cross your fingers. i'm just starting to test it and i will say *knocking on wood* "i haven't had crashes in 12+ hours"

EDIT TO ADD2:
it just crashed. back to just overclocking the memory for 2d purposes.

Last edited:
Back