AMD details new power efficiency improvements, update on ’25×20 project

Reducing power consumption by 20% should allow for better battery life. But it’s not clear yet how this power tuning will impact performance.

It’s an open question, at this point, whether these techniques and strategies are flexible enough to enable higher performance during those high-use periods while still cutting overall power consumption.

Those seem to be the most relevant takeaways. Reduced power consumption on sub-35W parts is great for laptops, but in reality, there simply aren't very many designs from OEMs using AMD APUs in mobile devices, and those that are using AMD APUs tend to be very low-end devices that can barely function as a basic web-browsing netbook equivalent. On the desktop side, I would be ecstatic if the new architecture scales up to a point where a 95W APU becomes performance-competitive with the 84W Haswell i5 CPUs.

On the desktop side, I would be ecstatic if the new architecture scales up to a point where a 95W APU becomes performance-competitive with the 84W Haswell i5 CPUs.

This would give me a reason to switch back to AMD when it's upgrade time at the end of next year. I've been waiting for another K7-8 style success for about 8 years - using Intel CPUs in the interim, so I'm honestly not holding my breath.

This would give me a reason to switch back to AMD when it's upgrade time at the end of next year. I've been waiting for another K7-8 style success for about 8 years - using Intel CPUs in the interim, so I'm honestly not holding my breath.

Yeah and somehow you already know that AMD is still struggling. If you are gaming and DX12 does take of you will see that people with AMD cpu really not being that far behind and maybe even ahead of Intel.

If and when the gaming market changes to DX12/Vulkan the obvious gap in IPC won't matter any more and gaming benchmarks will reflect that. Some applications as Libre office already do a great amount of work through the gpu/apu (OpenCL). This will only grow since the benefits are to great to ignore.

the only concern I had, which honestly doesn't really mean jack, was for OC-ability of new CPU/APUs. It was that mention of TDP monitoring algorithm within the chip itself. Hopefully it is adjustable by the end user and not some set standard. Like for instance my 8350 has a 140w TDP but OC'ed it is closer to 200w TDP. If I were limited to the original TDP then only golden chips would give good OC results. Again just me being a bit paranoid, likely.

Back