AMD Cutting Prices of 7x00 series GPUs

I see the 7950s are hitting $300 after MIR with the stock cooler already.

Update: I see the Power Color 7950 on sale and in stock for $280 today - July 19.

Last edited:
MSI TF3 HD7950 is $320 after rebate from newegg or Amazon. Very nice card for the money.

That is an impressive card.
Hopefully [H]ard|OCP has a 7950 review coming up.
Their last 7950 review was in March before the 670s and 680s were out.

I'm hoping for an updated review to include the new X-fire drivers

Price for the 7870 is still too high. I really wish Nvidia would get the 660 out the door already!

Price for the 7870 is still too high. I really wish Nvidia would get the 660 out the door already!

Yeah unless the GTX 660 Ti beats the HD 7870 decisively and is priced at USD 300 do not expect any further price reductions.

after cashback, I got my 7970 and 6 pretty decent games for $355. It maxed out the core speed slider without touching anything and mines like a whore.

after cashback, I got my 7970 and 6 pretty decent games for $355. It maxed out the core speed slider without touching anything and mines like a whore.

Nice. What are the temps like? I'm just worried about it running too hot if I go that high. So far I've got it at 1ghz and it runs great.

will HD7970 non reference cards (custom pcb & cooler) also get price fixing from each vendor?

Since this thread is talking a bit about the midrange/7*** series I have a question for you all.

I have a rig that I am still currently using, it has a c2d e8500 @ 3.8ghz and 8800gtx 768mb. 8gb ram

I only use a 1680x1050 native res monitor. I have seen quite a few 7770's for literally nothing (like a hundred bucks) Would I see a noticeable difference in gaming performance? I am going to do a whole new rebuild but I am waiting to see how the next round of amd procs pan out before I decide what to commit to. I looked at a few benchmarks also and was suprised to see that the e8500 was still in the top 10 in a lot of gaming benchmarks (I know more game are going to utilize more than 2 cores) so thats why I figured I can hold off on a complete rebuild.

Ok sorry for the long spiel but according to the benchmarks here, and elsewhere the 7770 (even tho low end) should chew up my 8800gtx.

What do you guy's think? For a hundred bucks I could see myself buying a card if it would even give me say 15% more frames?

Since this thread is talking a bit about the midrange/7*** series I have a question for you all.

I have a rig that I am still currently using, it has a c2d e8500 @ 3.8ghz and 8800gtx 768mb. 8gb ram

I only use a 1680x1050 native res monitor. I have seen quite a few 7770's for literally nothing (like a hundred bucks) Would I see a noticeable difference in gaming performance? I am going to do a whole new rebuild but I am waiting to see how the next round of amd procs pan out before I decide what to commit to. I looked at a few benchmarks also and was suprised to see that the e8500 was still in the top 10 in a lot of gaming benchmarks (I know more game are going to utilize more than 2 cores) so thats why I figured I can hold off on a complete rebuild.

Ok sorry for the long spiel but according to the benchmarks here, and elsewhere the 7770 (even tho low end) should chew up my 8800gtx.

What do you guy's think? For a hundred bucks I could see myself buying a card if it would even give me say 15% more frames?
For $100 I'd say do it, that 8800 is an old card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131477
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687

and what about compared to this(6790) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161377

So I noticed that the 6790 has 160 more stream processors and 256 bit memory (800stream256bit vs. 640stream128bit) The trade off being that the 7770 has cranked up clock speeds and runs cooler (i don't really care about power draw or how loud/cool it runs tbh) Oh what to choose, what to choose. I am willing to go as high as $150 on this, but seeing as this is a card that will not be going into my next "main" build I won't spend any more than that. :confused:

Last edited:
For $100 I'd say do it, that 8800 is an old card.

Yeah but you'd be suprised at how well it's held up over the years, there still isn't a single game I cannot play on it. And most games I play still run at medium(ish) settings usually (16x10)

I spotted a 6850 for $149 i'm pretty sure that card performs a bit better than the 7770 and the one I spotted was clocked at 870mhz over some of the others in the 700's

I'm serious about pulling the trigger on a new card this weekend, I'll keep monitoring this for suggestions.

So basically there are 1ghz 7770's for $129 a 6790 for $129 and a pretty nice 6850@870mhz for $149 Tough decision!

Last edited:
Yeah but you'd be suprised at how well it's held up over the years, there still isn't a single game I cannot play on it. And most games I play still run at medium(ish) settings usually (16x10)

I spotted a 6850 for $149 i'm pretty sure that card performs a bit better than the 7770 and the one I spotted was clocked at 870mhz over some of the others in the 700's

I'm serious about pulling the trigger on a new card this weekend, I'll keep monitoring this for suggestions.

So basically there are 1ghz 7770's for $129 a 6790 for $129 and a pretty nice 6850@870mhz for $149 Tough decision!

However, HD6790, and especially HD6850 are more power-hungry than even HD7770, let alone HD7750; worse, most of either are dual-slot (compared to the mostly-single-slot HD7750 and HD7770). Sometimes price is *not* the determining factor in what GPU to buy.

Sorry to bump again, I am going to buy a GPU tonight, now I really really want one. If some one said to you here take a 7770 ghz or this>>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

Would there be any reason you'd NOT pick the 6870?

I'm just reading numbers here, I don't care about power draw so thats not a reason for me (I know the 7770 runs cooler and is on a smaller die)

Just need some input here so I can make sure I'm not missing something here.

EDIT: PGHammer thank you for the input, we must have been posting at the same time :) So if we are talking raw power, and there is no concern about running cooler,power draw, or dual/single slot, then what say you? GAAH I want both cards! lol

Last edited:
6870 is better than HD7770 for raw performance output.

Thanks I was thinking that, I mean it's pretty obvious (although surprisingly not by much) I saw a refurb 7770 for 89 bucks on there when i was looking around. Almost pulled the trigger on that one for the price alone!!! Shit when do you ever remember in recent history seeing a somewhat capable GPU solution for less that 100? What a time to be a gamer!

How careful do I need to be about brands? I usually didn't pay much attention to it with nvidia cards (lots of standard ass designs with different stickered coolers). I found a winforce 6870 for 129 and I like the blue pcb, noticed green and black and red also on different brands. I've always had luck with HIS and Sapphire.

Last edited:
there is no CCC level AA for dx10/dx11 on 6000 series.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump again, I am going to buy a GPU tonight, now I really really want one. If some one said to you here take a 7770 ghz or this>>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

Would there be any reason you'd NOT pick the 6870?

I'm just reading numbers here, I don't care about power draw so thats not a reason for me (I know the 7770 runs cooler and is on a smaller die)

Just need some input here so I can make sure I'm not missing something here.

EDIT: PGHammer thank you for the input, we must have been posting at the same time :) So if we are talking raw power, and there is no concern about running cooler,power draw, or dual/single slot, then what say you? GAAH I want both cards! lol

Assuming you have the space, and neither power draw OR Windows 8 are concerns, then the HD6870 makes better sense.

However, in my case, Windows 8 is very much a concern (I'm running the Release Preview currently), and currently slot space *is* a concern since I haven't gone to Z77 yet (it won't be a concern once I've made that move, since I'll also be going to an ATX motherboard - my current mobo is mATX). Finally, quite aside from either of those, power draw is a completely separate issue (and also a concern).

Assuming you have the space, and neither power draw OR Windows 8 are concerns, then the HD6870 makes better sense.

However, in my case, Windows 8 is very much a concern (I'm running the Release Preview currently), and currently slot space *is* a concern since I haven't gone to Z77 yet (it won't be a concern once I've made that move, since I'll also be going to an ATX motherboard - my current mobo is mATX). Finally, quite aside from either of those, power draw is a completely separate issue (and also a concern).

Thank you for your detailed response :) I was really surprised at how low the power draw was under full load on the 7770 it's like idle on older/bigger cards! I really always wanted to make a kick ass mATX system myself but just never did. I'm still running windows 7 and unless I really HAVE to I'll probably stick with it. I here a lot of complaints about win8 but I gotta be honest those are from a lot of my friends who hate changes, and in my small amount of time using it I can't see anything "wrong" with 8. Do you have any pics of your micro build? just curious what it looks like with the 7770 in it, Did you go with passive cooling or air?

Thank you for your detailed response :) I was really surprised at how low the power draw was under full load on the 7770 it's like idle on older/bigger cards! I really always wanted to make a kick ass mATX system myself but just never did. I'm still running windows 7 and unless I really HAVE to I'll probably stick with it. I here a lot of complaints about win8 but I gotta be honest those are from a lot of my friends who hate changes, and in my small amount of time using it I can't see anything "wrong" with 8. Do you have any pics of your micro build? just curious what it looks like with the 7770 in it, Did you go with passive cooling or air?

My build (other than the mATX motherboard, which I had chosen for price reasons) is pretty darn ordinary:

Mobo - ASUS P5G41-M LX2/GB
CPU - Intel Q6600
RAM - 4 GB DDR2-800 (2GB x2)
GPU - Visiontek HD5450 iSilence (512MB DDR3)
Case - Lian-Li ATX mid-tower from 2004 (replaced window and porthole fans two months ago)
PSU - Diablotek EL-600

The power supply is the newest addition, and is for the planned changeover from the current setup to i5-3570K/Z77 ATX (CPU/motherboard/RAM/current GPU go to Mom - she has a different ATX mid-tower which will be getting my Eagle Voltas that the Diablotek replaced - same wattage; however, the Diablotek has a better - for me - plug mix).

I have 8GB of MicroCenter (sourced from Crucial) DDR3-1333 (timings are 9-9-9-24 CL9) already, and am looking to get another 8GB (this week, possibly) if I can't get the GPU this week (which will be either the HIS or Gigabyte versions of the HD7770 - the only difference is that the Gigabyte is factory-overclocked; they are the same price).

Where the heartburn is settling in is at the motherboard - BIOSTAR made a change with the TZ77XE4. The previously-optional USB 3.0 3.5" bay insert is now standard *and* convertible to a rear bracket - nobody else (including Gigabyte or MSI) offers this feature in the price range - in fact, the ASUS P8Z77-V (my current choice) doesn't include it, either (though the P8Z77V-PRO does, which is $20 more). If I am forced to purchase CPU and motherboard separately, this would rather forcibly kick the -V to the curb as the price difference would jump right back to $50. The bay insert I can certainly use - the Lian-Li has a currently-unused 3.5" bay.

Back to the HD7770s - Though they are all dual-slot, there is the fact that they are relative energy-misers compared to other dual-slot cards. I also like that I can firewall darn near any game at 1280x720 - even before the CPU swap. After the CPU swap? Then 1680x1050 becomes a definite possiblity, if not 1920x1080. And what's not to like about either?

Back