AMD Customer Support: RX 5700 XT slower than GTX 1080 is "expected"

SPARTAN VI

[H]F Junkie
A personal buddy of mine purchased an RX 5700 XT AE while his EVGA GTX 1080 was out for RMA. When he received the 5700 XT AE, the product packaging was significantly damaged. You can see below a tear and crinkling in the corner where the box took the brunt of an impact. The shipping package did not reflect this damage, so it appears it was dropped before it even went into the shipping box. The hardware itself did not have any indications of physical damage though. Regardless, he went ahead and contacted AMD support and proceeded with testing the card.

5700box.JPG

Testing was even more unimpressive. The card underperformed across the board compared to his GTX 1080 (roughly 1/3 of the performance in games like FFXIV and Destiny 2 relative to a GTX 1080). When he brought all this up to AMD customer support, this was their response:

k****** <k******@gmail.com>

Jul 23, 2019, 3:52 PM (2 days ago)****to TECH.SUPPORT

A day and a half since Ive heard anything so I'll try again. What is the response from AMD on this graphics card having terrible performance in almost every game? Is this card part of a bad batch? Are drivers simply not optimized yet? If so, when can we expect updates? I don't mind waiting if I know thing will improve. AMD wont give a refund because I opened it, but what if this product is defective? Does pursuing a refund for a defective product have to become a legal issue?

[email protected] via amdcloud.onmicrosoft.com

Wed, Jul 24, 6:42 AM (1 day ago)to me

Dear ****,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[************]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your email.

The AMD Radeon RX 5700XT is designed and expected to run under load at 90C. This is expected and normal behaviour. These temperatures will not degrade and kill the card at a faster rate.

Regarding your perfomance expectations of the AMD Radeon RX 5700XT against the nVidia GTX 1080: The AMD Radeon RX 5700XT is considered to have a performance below that of the nVidia GTX 1080. AMD does not market the Radeon RX 5700XT to compete with the nVidia GTX 1080. Hence this is expected.

We have noticed that you have modified the default cooler of your RX 5700XT graphics card by replacing it with an Arctic Extreme 4 cooler.To help us better understand this modification, please could send us the picture of your graphics card with the Arctic Extreme 4 cooler modification.

That being said, AMD values its customer experience using AMD products. And we would like to ensure that your issue is resolved amicably.

Please could you let me know what your expectation are to resolve this case.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AJ

AMD Global Customer Care

Emphasis is mine, "Regarding your perfomance expectations of the AMD Radeon RX 5700XT against the nVidia GTX 1080: The AMD Radeon RX 5700XT is considered to have a performance below that of the nVidia GTX 1080. AMD does not market the Radeon RX 5700XT to compete with the nVidia GTX 1080. Hence this is expected."

tl;dr
  • Buddy got a RX 5700 XT AE to replace a broken GTX 1080.
  • RX 5700 XT AE box arrived in poor condition.
  • Card performed worse than GTX 1080.
  • AMD replied that they expect the 5700 XT to perform worse than the GTX 1080.
  • Friend is going to ask for a replacement, then refund if it the issues persist.
  • More can be found in his r/AMD post.

Last edited:
A personal buddy of mine purchased an RX 5700 XT AE while his EVGA GTX 1080 was out for RMA. When he received the 5700 XT AE, the product packaging was significantly damaged. You can see below a tear and crinkling in the corner where the box took the brunt of an impact. The shipping package did not reflect this damage, so it appears it was dropped before it even went into the shipping box. The hardware itself did not have any indications of physical damage though. Regardless, he went ahead and contacted AMD support and proceeded with testing the card.

View attachment 176447

Testing was even more unimpressive. The card underperformed across the board compared to his GTX 1080 (roughly 1/3 of the performance in games like FFXIV and Destiny 2). When he brought all this up to AMD customer support, this was their response:

Emphasis is mine, "Regarding your perfomance expectations of the AMD Radeon RX 5700XT against the nVidia GTX 1080: The AMD Radeon RX 5700XT is considered to have a performance below that of the nVidia GTX 1080. AMD does not market the Radeon RX 5700XT to compete with the nVidia GTX 1080. Hence this is expected."

tl;dr
  • Buddy got a RX 5700 XT AE to replace a broken GTX 1080.
  • RX 5700 XT AE box arrived in poor condition.
  • Card performed worse than GTX 1080.
  • AMD replied that they expect the 5700 XT to perform worse than the GTX 1080.
  • Friend is going to ask for a replacement, then refund if it the issues persist.
  • More can be found in his r/AMD post.
Sounds like a CSR that doesn't know any better, but in general a stock RX 5700XT should outperform a stock GTX 1080. Did your friend run DDU before installing AMD driver to make sure it is not driver issues? I am also not discounting a broken card if someone from shipping seem to drop the card before putting into the box.

Ninja Edit: Just adding 'know' after doesn't.

Last edited:
Sounds like a CSR that doesn't any better, but in general a stock RX 5700XT should outperform a stock GTX 1080. Did your friend run DDU before installing AMD driver to make sure it is not driver issues? I am also not discounting a broken card if someone from shipping seem to drop the card before putting into the box.

He's working on getting a replacement card from AMD. When he originally confronted them about the fact that the box was obviously dropped, but the shipping box had no corresponding damage, the AMD rep responded with this, "Were working on sending you a new empty box. The graphics card being damaged is an impossibility."

To their credit... they actually sent him a replacement empty XT AE box, which doesn't exactly accomplish anything significant. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
He's working on getting a replacement card from AMD. When he originally confronted them about the fact that the box was obviously dropped, but the shipping box had no obvious damage, the AMD rep responded with this, "Were working on sending you a new empty box. The graphics card being damaged is an impossibility."

To their credit... they actually sent him a replacement empty XT AE box, which doesn't exactly accomplish anything significant. :ROFLMAO:

Cool, hopefully the replacement card will solve his issues. RX 5700XT is a great card if you don't care for RTX, though wish the AE version doesn't include a blower cooling, but that is for another debate.

Oh man, how customer service has gone down. I absolutely loathe having to call any customer service to ask any questions. They all assume you're as dumb as they are, then when you prove you're not, they tell you they have to email someone above them and you should hear back within a few days, just to be asked the exact same questions you answered the first time.

It shouldn't be that slow. If it's only getting 1/3 the performance of a 1080, there's something wrong with the card. Given the condition of the box, I think i'd check the heatsink mounting and RMA it if there's nothing obvious visible.

I believe he was offered a refund by the AMD rep who contacted him via the r/AMD sub. Going to take it and return the Arctic cooler too. All is good now.

Huh... I recently received an 5700XT AE that *also* had damage on one side of the box. Heck, it was on the same side, and the sticker looked a little crooked but not torn or opened. I had an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III already waiting for it, so I didn't even check it with the reference cooler. It is working as expected though.

I wonder if they're just dropping boxes at the warehouse. For funs.

Sounds like they have a damaged pallet full of them and hence why they are giving out empty boxes. Kind of LAME.

Huh... I recently received an 5700XT AE that *also* had damage on one side of the box. Heck, it was on the same side, and the sticker looked a little crooked but not torn or opened. I had an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III already waiting for it, so I didn't even check it with the reference cooler. It is working as expected though.

I wonder if they're just dropping boxes at the warehouse. For funs.

Not to diverge, but how is that Accelero working out? Better temps? I've got a spare IV sitting around and may pick h a 5700 xt to play. It did wonders for my 1080 ti.

Not to diverge, but how is that Accelero working out? Better temps? I've got a spare IV sitting around and may pick h a 5700 xt to play. It did wonders for my 1080 ti.

With the Accelero Extreme IV, he was putting down ~50C under full load in Furmark. That's fantastic, IMO.

CSR probably briefed on current gen cards, and was thinking of the 2080.

Edit: To add and possibly clarify I don't think they will be properly briefed on how the 5700XT will beat a "1080 because that's a card in between the 2060 and the 2060 Super".

Last edited:
Back