AMD crowd-sources evidence for the fast-emerging 500-series chipset USB issue

I read the entire Reddit thread. Summary:

The sad thing is that this has been known about on the 400 series chipset in 2019. This isn't a new thing, they just don't seem to care.

People have been gimping their system by reverting to PCIe 3.0 in the bios, which seems to be legit workaround. A couple of people said that: "AGESA 1.2.0.0 fixes the problem" ( ie. they can go back to using PCIe 4.0 ).

What's really sad is reading about: people selling their AMD systems and "going back to Intel", or spending 30 hours to figure out that the solution was to revert to PCIe 3.0, or RMAing all kinds of things that didn't need RMAing.

I mean... I'm using a ( eleven years old in March ) i7-860, GTX 780, which although aging, works fine still and everything worked out of the box, to the point that it was plug and play, which was weird. ( I've been PC gaming since there was PC gaming 1989 - Xenon 2 Megablast ).

I have to pick up a 5900x in 8 hours from Canada Computers because they last time I built an AMD was the Athlon 64 x2 4400... 15 years ago and the heat generation was so nuts that I decided that would be the first and last AMD build ( ie. never again ).

And here we are... 15 years later and people are still talking about AMD shitbox graphics drivers.

I dunno how people can be OK with running companies where the public reputation and legacy is for making shitbox drivers? One would have thought that this kind of thing would have been hammered out over the span of 15 years but I guess not... add some fucking QA QC already?

You guys can just roll into your local MicroCenter but in Canada the shelves are bare and backorder takes a couple of months+

Lol, I mean this post has already been replied to but I'll chime in...the heat generation of the 4400 was so nuts compared to what? A single core athlon 64? Certainly not the pentium D. Intel has had plentyyyy of shortcomings and bugs. FUD is fud.

Bugs suck and solutions need to be found. I had black screens with the 5700xt for the better part of a year before a solution presented itself. AMD needs to fix these issues.

Saying things like "Intel doesn't ever have issues" is nonsense though. Quirks and bugs with bleeding edge hardware is not uncommon, and dare I say it, todays new hardware has far less issues than we did 10 to 15 years ago when I first started building PCs.
I "upgraded" from an entry-level x370 to an entry-level 570x last week. In addition to this potential USB issue, I've found nothing but detractions from the 4 year-old x370 I was using previously. Slightly lower overclocking headroom (on my 3600), slightly less stable memory timings, and worse, multiple cost-cut features. All for 30% more in price.

I won't likely until I do my next set of upgrades see any of the PCI-E bandwidth improvements, at which point, I'll probably upgrade my mobo again. The only thing the 500-series gets me is a path to Zen 3 (although I'm hearing x370s may support Zen 3 shortly). Largely, moving to 500-series was a waste for me.

I mean that really sounds like poor research on your part. What board are you running?

Check for "zombie" USB devices. I've had USB devices go into a corrupt state where they take down the entire USB subsystem, or cause erratic behavior like slow speeds or new USB devices not enumerating properly. This tends to happen with USB devices that remain plugged in for extended periods of time, especially storage devices.

I can't tell you how many "emergency" calls I've gotten with malfunctioning or slow computers from customers that turned out to be a flash drive stuck in the back of their system that they had forgotten about months ago. The flash drive will eventually go into a state of funk and cause the entire computer to go haywire.

Also check that the port isn't fouled up, ESPECIALLY on newer USB 3.x ports like the shitty USB-C connector. The contacts eventually get tarnished or dirt packed into them and intermittent connectivity issues. I've seen USB 3.x devices fall back to 2.0 compatibility mode due to bad connections and be really slow. Even the contacts on the device itself can get fouled up. I keep a can of Deoxit Gold G5 on hand for tarnished connectors and it does amazing work restoring electronic gear with worn/dirty/tarnished contacts.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I've tested with nothing there but my mouse and keyboard.

Doing a flashback to the previous BIOS version (Agesa 1118C) seems to have given me back 40MB/s write.

I've had off and on issues with my mouse being recognized. For a while my Corsair AIO disconnected frequently. That's been fixed as far as I can tell.

Taichi X570 and 5800X. The latest bios appears to be much better and I haven't had issues lately.

So you think you got a poorly performing budget motherboard because AMD forced PCIe 4.0 upon the motherboard manufacturer?
The politics of what Intel forced on motherboard manufacturers is irrelevant to me as an end user. All I know is the Gigabyte x570 Gaming I bought today lacks useful features that the Gigabyte x370 Gaming I bought for 20% less had 4 years ago. Same goes for Asus and MSI.

The politics of what Intel forced on motherboard manufacturers is irrelevant to me as an end user.

Who's talking about Intel?

All I know is the Gigabyte x570 Gaming I bought today lacks useful features that the Gigabyte x370 Gaming I bought for 20% less had 4 years ago. Same goes for Asus and MSI.

And you think that's all because of the x570 chipset?

The politics of what Intel forced on motherboard manufacturers is irrelevant to me as an end user. All I know is the Gigabyte x570 Gaming I bought today lacks useful features that the Gigabyte x370 Gaming I bought for 20% less had 4 years ago. Same goes for Asus and MSI.
I’m curious what those features are? I’m building out a few systems and was looking at the gigabytes and don’t want to find them lacking.

I’m curious what those features are? I’m building out a few systems and was looking at the gigabytes and don’t want to find them lacking.

With Gigabyte at least, there is a fairly clear transition between their higher-end motherboards and their budget motherboards. They tend to use the "Aorus" branding on their good boards, but not on their budget boards.

you mind specifying all the "useful features" that they cut from current MB's?

I've had off and on issues with my mouse being recognized. For a while my Corsair AIO disconnected frequently. That's been fixed as far as I can tell.

Taichi X570 and 5800X. The latest bios appears to be much better and I haven't had issues lately.
For me it is my wireless XBox reciever. It just winks out and then stays that way until I unplug it and plug it back it in. No rhyme or reason, but dmesg shows an error in negotiating the endpoint.

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570.

I just read about the USB issue yesterday. Lo and behold I turn my computer on today and I get a USB error message and my mouse no longer works. How's that for timing. LOL

For me it is my wireless XBox reciever. It just winks out and then stays that way until I unplug it and plug it back it in. No rhyme or reason, but dmesg shows an error in negotiating the endpoint.

Do you have wake on wireless turned on for your USB? It's under power management and it's often off by default.

I just read about the USB issue yesterday. Lo and behold I turn my computer on today and I get a USB error message and my mouse no longer works. How's that for timing. LOL
Suspicious....

Attachments

• Suspicious.gif
    Suspicious.gif
    375.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm thinking that anyone having this usb issue should try manually setting their base clock to 100 and see if that helps.

Well, I tried fiddling with the BIOS and nothing solved the mouse not working problem. I saw there was a BIOS update on ASUS' website, completed that, and still didn't fix it. My mouse has a wireless and wired option so I plugged the wireless dongle into a USB port on the front of the machine and the mouse started working. Even with the mouse unplugged from the cable I still get the USB error message when I boot up.

Well, I tried fiddling with the BIOS and nothing solved the mouse not working problem. I saw there was a BIOS update on ASUS' website, completed that, and still didn't fix it. My mouse has a wireless and wired option so I plugged the wireless dongle into a USB port on the front of the machine and the mouse started working. Even with the mouse unplugged from the cable I still get the USB error message when I boot up.
Is the mouse a Corsair?

I have an MSI Prestige Creation X570 board which exhibits the problem. I see it a lot. There hasn't been a single day where I have not had multiple USB dropout notifications occurring at random.

HOWEVER, I have not yet experienced a single, solitary instance where the drop out made something I'm using actually stop working. I have a 3D Printer, BT tranceiver, Keyboard, Mouse, Trackball, Oculus Rift, and two of the Rift sensors connected, and not a single one of them seems to "drop out". Ever.

So what's the deal? How is it affecting others?

I have an MSI Prestige Creation X570 board which exhibits the problem. I see it a lot. There hasn't been a single day where I have not had multiple USB dropout notifications occurring at random.

HOWEVER, I have not yet experienced a single, solitary instance where the drop out made something I'm using actually stop working. I have a 3D Printer, BT tranceiver, Keyboard, Mouse, Trackball, Oculus Rift, and two of the Rift sensors connected, and not a single one of them seems to "drop out". Ever.

So what's the deal? How is it affecting others?
When I booted my machine it gave an error message about a USB device failed and the mouse just wouldn't work. I have 2 of the same mice and neither would work plugged in to the same cable in the same usb port.

Hmmm...I've been using Ryzen 7 3000 series and a very high end X570 motherboard since last September. I haven't really ran into the USB issue being reported on to this point. Then again, I oughta check if my PCIe setting is 3.0 or 4.0 in the BIOS before I get too far ahead of myself but to the settings my system is using my USB devices have worked fine to this point. Just my experience to the issue and until next time I am out!

If this is one of those old 360 wireless receivers you may have to short out one of the connections on the inside, I had to do that on mine when it started flaking out.

Still trying to get anyone having the issue to try manually setting base clk to 100 and see if it helps. In the past whenever I tried base clk to push megahertz a bit more the symptom was flaky usb functionality. Mainly curious as I really doubt the clk would drift that much but stranger things have happened.

I remember reading something 6-ish months ago, where usb ports on some gigabyte motherboards would act erratically if xmp was turned on... or something like that

I remember reading something 6-ish months ago, where usb ports on some gigabyte motherboards would act erratically if xmp was turned on... or something like that
My ASUS did something similar, the system didn't stabilize until I ran their AI autotune and have it "fix" all my timings from their default values

Still trying to get anyone having the issue to try manually setting base clk to 100 and see if it helps. In the past whenever I tried base clk to push megahertz a bit more the symptom was flaky usb functionality. Mainly curious as I really doubt the clk would drift that much but stranger things have happened.
When I enabled DOCP base clock appeared as a setting and it was at 100.00. Mouse still didn't work.

System in sig. No USB issues, 3090 FE is running at 4.0 speed as well.

When I booted my machine it gave an error message about a USB device failed and the mouse just wouldn't work. I have 2 of the same mice and neither would work plugged in to the same cable in the same usb port.
So you are receiving the error before the OS even loads? That's definitely different than my situation! I'm only using a 2080Super (Gigabyte Waterforce) card so I am wondering if my PCIe slot is defaulting to 3.0 (which may be why I'm not getting the same severity of error...)

At this point I am so disgusted with the availability of 5000/6000 parts (and availability of the Dark Hero board) that I think I won't build a new system this year unless it's based on whatever new Threadripper or Epyc gets released. At least at those price points there will be fewer scalpers driving up the prices for the CPU/Mobo...

So you are receiving the error before the OS even loads? That's definitely different than my situation! I'm only using a 2080Super (Gigabyte Waterforce) card so I am wondering if my PCIe slot is defaulting to 3.0 (which may be why I'm not getting the same severity of error...)

At this point I am so disgusted with the availability of 5000/6000 parts (and availability of the Dark Hero board) that I think I won't build a new system this year unless it's based on whatever new Threadripper or Epyc gets released. At least at those price points there will be fewer scalpers driving up the prices for the CPU/Mobo...
No I get the error when I boot into windows. Although the mouse doesn't work in BIOS either.

The Threadrippers are basically nonexistent, I am wondering if they are going to delay their Threadripper/EPIC launches to get a better handle on their existing parts or if they are going to make the supply of the existing stuff worse by launching the TR & EP's because the margins on those parts are much better... I need a new TR or EPYC system to replace an aging RDP server for the digital design students.

Back