AMD CPUs pass 20 per cent share milestone in Steam survey

erek

[H]F Junkie
A quick look and I observed that AMD has broached 40 dollars per share! Not higher than it's ever been, but highest in 5 years at least !

"While it may be able to fill orders to gets its shipments back up to speed thanks to putting business AMD's way, it might become too late to make hay while the sun is shining. Goldman Sachs analyst Franklin Jarman warned that the tailwinds propelling PC sales in the most recent months might become headwinds due to rising component costs and the Windows 10 refresh cycle.

Sources: Steam, and Yahoo Finance, via NoteBookCheck."

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/137591-amd-cpus-pass-20-per-cent-share-milestone-steam-survey/

Yea.. Nobody buys processors because of Windows 10..dumbest argument I've heard. Even in OEM channels they stopped selling windows 7 a while ago now. Considering there's still not many designs based on Ryzen 3 from Dell and HP the rising costs argument is also moot. Businesses won't change from Intel that quickly.

Only reason I dump big $ on a PC revolves around gaming, Intel is still king in that arena.

AMD has the best all around CPU right now. Next year that could change. I hear rumors about Intel having a new CPU ready that will blow the doors off AMD but at the same time AMD isn't sitting around playing games. Zen 3 will likely be good too. Better? Maybe, maybe not... Competitive? I'm sure it will be.

AMD has the best all around CPU right now. Next year that could change. I hear rumors about Intel having a new CPU ready that will blow the doors off AMD but at the same time AMD isn't sitting around playing games. Zen 3 will likely be good too. Better? Maybe, maybe not... Competitive? I'm sure it will be.

Intel has nothing new for next year.... and the year after that is dependent on a lot of things going right. What they have coming is another 14nm+++++ refinement... they won't have anything to compete with Zen3 until they get their own 7nm chips out in 2022. (end of 2021 if everything goes exactly right and they can push it out early).

Poor Intel though when they do get their 7nm parts out in 2022 (or late 2021) it seems like they will not be going up against Zen2... or even Zen3.

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-4-5-nm-launching-2021/

Zen 4 5nm looks to be launching early 2021. Zen 3 (4000) will hit spingish 2020... and a year later 5nm Zen 4 comes. Seems like Intel is going to pay a very heavy price for their 10 year slumber.

Looking back, I see they were above 20% back in the pre-Ryzen days of 2015 and 2016, so it is odd they were below 20% recently.

Looking back, I see they were above 20% back in the pre-Ryzen days of 2015 and 2016, so it is odd they were below 20% recently.

Just shows how long people use their systems for. Around here we all probably change out our main systems every 2-3 years. For average people its probably more like 4-5 years with some pushing that as far out as 10 years no doubt. When PC sales where tapering off it probably kept AMDs market share % higher... as their old stuff stayed in operation even if they where selling few new machines. If Intel had been launching more compelling products they would have dropped faster.

I notice looking at the Steam hardware survey in July 26.72% of users where on dual cores. In October it was at 23.66%.... then in November it dropped fast to 21.14%. Tells me that in September-October the industry moved twice as many new steam using machines as the previous 5-6 months. 4 Cores didn't go up very much... it looks like the biggest bump came with 6 core systems (+1.46%) with 8 cores picking up (+0.49%).

Based on that I have to assume AMD sold a shit ton of 3600 CPUs at launch. I think a lot of people have been waiting on 4-5 year old Intel machines cause there was just not compelling reason to upgrade... until there was. I picked up a 3600x myself, got a great price match deal where I paid 3600 price for a x, so at that point couldn't justify the price bump to 8 cores. Seems like a lot of gamers made the same type of choice.

Last edited:
^ That's basically where I am. Currently on a five year old machine and almost upgraded this year, but even my 4770k and 980 setup still seems good enough for now. I'm going to hold off until next year and hope that ray tracing gets faster and AMD closes that tiny gap Intel has over them in gaming. The only thing that sucks is that I'll be upgrading to the last cpu for the AM4 socket. I wish they were changing sockets with Ryzen 3 instead of 4. Oh well.

^ That's basically where I am. Currently on a five year old machine and almost upgraded this year, but even my 4770k and 980 setup still seems good enough for now. I'm going to hold off until next year and hope that ray tracing gets faster and AMD closes that tiny gap Intel has over them in gaming. The only thing that sucks is that I'll be upgrading to the last cpu for the AM4 socket. I wish they were changing sockets with Ryzen 3 instead of 4. Oh well.

I was pretty shocked how much of an upgrade my 3600 has been. Probably the best bang for the buck I have gotten on PC hardware since the early celeron overclocking days. lol

Having said that I don't blame you for waiting on a 4770 if you can hold out till Zen 3. It seems to me AM4 is going to probably get an update with Zen 3 meaning new Boards for Zen 3/4. I imagine something like the tracing changes they made for the new thread ripper will possibly be required for Zen 3. They have said its the first real new architecture... and they have pushed AM4 as long as they promised now with 3 generations of chips. Just speculating anyway... but seems logical to me that Zen 3 will require a 650 / 670 chipset.

Still.... AMDs server guy Forest Norrod has said Zen 3 Epyc will still be DDR 4. So its possible Zen 3 will still be DDR 4 / PCIe4 and may even still work on 570 boards. I don't know could be partly why AMD is pushing hard to get Zen4 out faster then anyone could expect with it coming less then a year after Zen 3 if all goes to plan. Zen 4 could be the DDR 5 / PCIe 5 new board bump. (especially if AMD does think Intel is planning to go DDR/PCIe5 with their 7nm chip no sense letting Intel back into the fight lol)

Yea.. Nobody buys processors because of Windows 10..dumbest argument I've heard. Even in OEM channels they stopped selling windows 7 a while ago now. Considering there's still not many designs based on Ryzen 3 from Dell and HP the rising costs argument is also moot. Businesses won't change from Intel that quickly.

Oh yea? Haha, jk. Times have changed...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Doubl...Survey-delivers-a-new-milestone.445998.0.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dell...md-due-to-intels-chip-shortage-150933501.html

Apparently Intel subsidies cannot cover their losses.

I was pretty shocked how much of an upgrade my 3600 has been. Probably the best bang for the buck I have gotten on PC hardware since the early celeron overclocking days. lol

Having said that I don't blame you for waiting on a 4770 if you can hold out till Zen 3. It seems to me AM4 is going to probably get an update with Zen 3 meaning new Boards for Zen 3/4. I imagine something like the tracing changes they made for the new thread ripper will possibly be required for Zen 3. They have said its the first real new architecture... and they have pushed AM4 as long as they promised now with 3 generations of chips. Just speculating anyway... but seems logical to me that Zen 3 will require a 650 / 670 chipset.

Still.... AMDs server guy Forest Norrod has said Zen 3 Epyc will still be DDR 4. So its possible Zen 3 will still be DDR 4 / PCIe4 and may even still work on 570 boards. I don't know could be partly why AMD is pushing hard to get Zen4 out faster then anyone could expect with it coming less then a year after Zen 3 if all goes to plan. Zen 4 could be the DDR 5 / PCIe 5 new board bump. (especially if AMD does think Intel is planning to go DDR/PCIe5 with their 7nm chip no sense letting Intel back into the fight lol)

It definitely sounds like Zen 3 will be the AM4's last hurrah and Zen 4 will be out a few months after with a new platform. Last I saw it was late 2020 for Zen 3 and then early 2021 for Zen 4. Zen 3 is supposedly a new architecture, but then Zen 4 was just a node shrink and maybe some minor updates.

It definitely sounds like Zen 3 will be the AM4's last hurrah and Zen 4 will be out a few months after with a new platform. Last I saw it was late 2020 for Zen 3 and then early 2021 for Zen 4. Zen 3 is supposedly a new architecture, but then Zen 4 was just a node shrink and maybe some minor updates.

I think it makes sense if Zen 4 is a die shrink that also integrates a DDR 5 mem controller over 4. The ram is due on the market before AMDs Zen 4 target... and PCI 5 is also all finalized and ready to go now.

The Zen 3 -> Zen 4 time frame makes a lot more sense to me if Zen 3 will slot in 570 / 550 AM4 Boards. With high end Zen 4 launching not long after with a AM5 670(or 770) board using Gen 5 DDR and Pcie.

I think it makes sense if Zen 4 is a die shrink that also integrates a DDR 5 mem controller over 4. The ram is due on the market before AMDs Zen 4 target... and PCI 5 is also all finalized and ready to go now.

The Zen 3 -> Zen 4 time frame makes a lot more sense to me if Zen 3 will slot in 570 / 550 AM4 Boards. With high end Zen 4 launching not long after with a AM5 670(or 770) board using Gen 5 DDR and Pcie.

Any way you look at it, I can't imagine them releasing a new socket before DDR5 this late into AM4's/DDR4's lifecycle. I'd like to think they wouldn't make the same mistake as Intel with obsoleting a chipset less than a year after launch, but you never know.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
"The Steam Hardware Survey tracks a portion of Steam's 125 million active users, so the media often uses it to track the hardware and software that gamers use most frequently.

Simply put, by its own admission, Valve's Steam Hardware Survey was broken from September 2017 to May 2018, and the recent reporting outlines a 2.5X gain in AMD CPU usage on systems with Steam. Unfortunately, that reporting comes to that conclusion based on an increase from January 2018, which falls squarely in the middle of Steam's false survey results (as seen in the chart below). That means the recent reporting is wrong due to incorrect survey data. "

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/reality-check-sorry-amd-hasnt-tripled-its-market-share-yet

"The Steam Hardware Survey tracks a portion of Steam's 125 million active users, so the media often uses it to track the hardware and software that gamers use most frequently.

Simply put, by its own admission, Valve's Steam Hardware Survey was broken from September 2017 to May 2018, and the recent reporting outlines a 2.5X gain in AMD CPU usage on systems with Steam. Unfortunately, that reporting comes to that conclusion based on an increase from January 2018, which falls squarely in the middle of Steam's false survey results (as seen in the chart below). That means the recent reporting is wrong due to incorrect survey data. "

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/reality-check-sorry-amd-hasnt-tripled-its-market-share-yet

What does that have to do with the market share going above 20% right now?

That articles linked in the first post don't mention a 2.5x increase and the timeline they show only starts at June '18 so I'm not sure where you're coming from on that.

What does that have to do with the market share going above 20% right now?

That articles linked in the first post don't mention a 2.5x increase and the timeline they show only starts at June '18 so I'm not sure where you're coming from on that.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant. I have a feeling he wasn't complaining when they counted all those Chinese internet cafe's as an Intel system every time a different user logged in "proving" the stranglehold Intel had on Steam.

I don’t see how 20% is so far fetched. Amd has been the top sales in sales polls pretty much everywhere in the world for a while. Especially since ryzen3k release. 1-10 on Amazon USA now. If it’s not 20% now. It will be soon.

AMD is definitely selling more CPU's than Intel in Europe right now.
20% really doesn't sound too far off considering the last 3 years AMD has been very competitive, especially when it comes to prices and the amount of power you get for a lower price.

Zen 3 will be 5nm and intel will be stuck on 10+

It always amazes me how when it's good news for AMD on Steam hardware survey then it's garbage. But if it's Intel or Nvidia then suddenly it's highly accurate and shows real world market share. Steam hardware survey is at best slightly more accurate then throwing darts.

I hear rumors ...

that's an album by Fleetwood Mac :cool:

IMHO nothing is going to revive PC gaming until THE PRICES drop on used stuff and games worth buying are released. As long as you keep used pricing as stupid high as it currently is you won't build the newbie base which departed during the mining craze. Earlier this year I posted an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB on Craigslist and after 2 weeks got ZERO replies because folks, at least here in my City, are not looking anymore. Was a time (excluding the mining craze of coarse) when that card at that price would have sold in 1 hour or less no questions asked.

Last edited:
Just shows how long people use their systems for. Around here we all probably change out our main systems every 2-3 years. For average people its probably more like 4-5 years with some pushing that as far out as 10 years no doubt. When PC sales where tapering off it probably kept AMDs market share % higher... as their old stuff stayed in operation even if they where selling few new machines. If Intel had been launching more compelling products they would have dropped faster.

I notice looking at the Steam hardware survey in July 26.72% of users where on dual cores. In October it was at 23.66%.... then in November it dropped fast to 21.14%. Tells me that in September-October the industry moved twice as many new steam using machines as the previous 5-6 months. 4 Cores didn't go up very much... it looks like the biggest bump came with 6 core systems (+1.46%) with 8 cores picking up (+0.49%).

Based on that I have to assume AMD sold a shit ton of 3600 CPUs at launch. I think a lot of people have been waiting on 4-5 year old Intel machines cause there was just not compelling reason to upgrade... until there was. I picked up a 3600x myself, got a great price match deal where I paid 3600 price for a x, so at that point couldn't justify the price bump to 8 cores. Seems like a lot of gamers made the same type of choice.

10+ years is realistic for total life cycle IMO. Hardware gets passed down and generally goes like this. My Desktop -> KIds PC -> media center -> retired.

Using an i5-2400 on my media center now. Probably will be there for at least 2-3 more years.

upload_2019-12-7_12-9-5.png

Back