AMD CPU Sales Overtake Intel For The First Time In Over A Decade At Germany’s Largest E-Tailer

I'll admit, the excitement is real. I have not even considered looking at AMD until recently. Just the name, Threadripper ... that inspires confidence!

According to shintai and juangura certain users of this forum this is fake news.

In before "this is a single data point and does not represent the wider industry"

just block both of them and then you don't have to worry about reading their garbage, lol.

In my shill opinion, that is hardly a big deal. CFL was already announced, wasn't it? As such, anyone who would look in direction of KBL right now would simply wait a month until CFL is out.

Good to see AMD doing well again! :) The person, who will not be named, and is blocked, does clearly not understand that AMD has a compelling product and that folks are buying it. The X299 platform is a mess and Threadripper is where it is at now. :)

Not surprised considering DIY people waiting for CFL. Not to mention the different release dates. New products always sell more than old. 7700K alone have sold around 20K units, 7600K 10K units and all Ryzen chips around 30K units.

At Mindfactory 175 TR chips have been sold compared to 1040 SKL-X. And that's an AMD retail partner.

And then there is this:
upload_2017-9-2_17-32-5.png

Ouch!

Last edited:
Not surprised considering DIY people waiting for CFL. Not to mention the different release dates. New products always sell more than old. 7700K alone have sold around 20K units, 7600K 10K units and all Ryzen chips around 30K units.

At Mindfactory 175 TR chips have been sold compared to 1040 SKL-X. And that's an AMD retail partner.

And then there is this:
View attachment 35219

Ouch!
I hope someday we can petition for the likes you and your ilk to be banned from the AMD subforums. WTF does steam have to do with sales from a German vendor? I haven't been polled once with my new 1800X and Vega64 and I run steam EVERYDAY, and neither has my wife with her 1600 and 290.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Too bad it is only sales on "Germany" a country with a bias towards AMD products because AMD has invested millions and millions in Germany during years. Since old Athlon days up to recent A10s millions of chips have been difussed on Germany

1d35b5e7-21fd-4f55-a93c-91e610792aa0.jpg

Waiting for worldwide sales.

Note: yes I know RyZen is not diffused in Germany. It doesn't affect my argument.

juanrga I'm not sure I see where that argument is going. How does where a product is made and how much it sells to consumers have any connection?

Must keep our "safe spaces" like at colleges eh? Disagreeing doesn't mean you should block or that they're bad posters.

It has nothing to do with safe spaces. Sometimes, it is just best to block the a h's of your life and move along, I know I have and it brings me a log more peace.

I block no one... But I'm also not a terribly nice fellow myself.

There's a line between disagreement and general asinine behavior. If someone crossed it with you, blocking them isn't a safe space SJW thing. It's just removing an irritant. If you block everyone who disagrees though... that's different.

Speaking as one who is occasionally an irritant, though... Well, that's why I usually don't do it, even so.

I think there's some truth to a lot of folks waiting it out for CFL. But even so, Zen has generally looked better in the market than Bulldozer. It's doing pretty well.

Though the Germans favoring AMD argument may be a stretch. I've a lot of friends in Germany from my DJing days, and not one has ever shown any affinity for AMD, or even mentioned them in casual conversation. I don't think they care about where some old CPUs were diffused.

I block no one... But I'm also not a terribly nice fellow myself.

There's a line between disagreement and general asinine behavior. If someone crossed it with you, blocking them isn't a safe space SJW thing. It's just removing an irritant. If you block everyone who disagrees though... that's different.

Speaking as one who is occasionally an irritant, though... Well, that's why I usually don't do it, even so.

I don't block anyone because my outlook is that everyone diserves to be heard. Maybe not agreed with or respected, but heard.

ON TOPIC: I'll be upgrading my 14 core Xeon to a 1950x in a few days, spent over 2k on the upgrade, and not a single Intel product caught my attention. That's not a good position for Intel to be in. I know that they still have the vast majority of market share, but OEMs are going to start selling Ryzen chips in their machines, and in the position Intel occupies, they only have share to lose.

According to shintai and juangura certain users of this forum this is fake news.

In before "this is a single data point and does not represent the wider industry"
BUT GUYZ DA SEGFAULTS (fixed) AND 79000KKK IS 1000% BETTER IN SINGLE THREADS AND COMPLETES STEAM SURVEY FASTEST

It's hilarious when they get this desperate.

Too bad it is only sales on "Germany" a country with a bias towards AMD products because AMD has invested millions and millions in Germany during years. Since old Athlon days up to recent A10s millions of chips have been difussed on Germany
If this argument was true, then AMD should have been leading in Germany the whole time, yet we clearly see a huge shift in the past few months and the only thing that has changed is the release of Ryzen.

BUT GUYZ DA SEGFAULTS (fixed) AND 79000KKK IS 1000% BETTER IN SINGLE THREADS AND COMPLETES STEAM SURVEY FASTEST

It's hilarious when they get this desperate.
That might be one too many Ks or one too few. For now it doesn't look too good. lol

Note: yes I know RyZen is not diffused in Germany. It doesn't affect my argument.
What exactly is your argument? As far as I can tell all you really want to do is piss in everyone's Wheaties. So Germans like AMD, big fucking deal. The OPs link shows in at least one country there is competition again, what's wrong with that? Doesn't diminish the quality of Intel's offerings in any way, doesn't make AMDs any better.

juanrga I'm not sure I see where that argument is going. How does where a product is made and how much it sells to consumers have any connection?

When one company invests millions and million on generating jobs in a given region, there is a natural sympathy towards the products of that company. AMD has been investing huge ammounts of money on Germany, and giving jobs to lots of people. It is natural that people at Germany is more pro-AMD. The same happens in my city. There is an important car factory that gives jobs to lots of people. When check the streets you can there is lots of cars from that brand. Part of my family works or has worked in that factory, and 90% of them purchased cars from that brand.

It is not only a mere question of being thankful to the company that pay you the salary; there is also certain egoistical attitude. Purchasing cars from that company that is giving jobs in the region just improves the finances of that company and helps that company to continue giving jobs.

If this argument was true, then AMD should have been leading in Germany the whole time, yet we clearly see a huge shift in the past few months and the only thing that has changed is the release of Ryzen.

One thing is having sympathy towards the brand, another is behaving as a blind fanboy.

People wasn't massively purchasing in the past, because the product wasn't good enough in their eyes. Once the new product got the minimum quality level required by that people, the bias did the rest.

Last edited:
Good for AMD. They need the cash inflow. When their improved process is available and TR can do 4.5 easily I'll jump on the bandwagon. Until then I'll stick to my Ryzen and soon to be CFL system.

I hope someday we can petition for the likes you and your ilk to be banned from the AMD subforums. WTF does steam have to do with sales from a German vendor? I haven't been polled once with my new 1800X and Vega64 and I run steam EVERYDAY, and neither has my wife with her 1600 and 290.

How well does your wife's 1600 /290 run? I have a 290x setting in a box and was thinking of pairing it up with something like a 1500x.

You know, the number of excuses bandied about whenever anything positive about AMD is mentioned is getting rather hilarious. AMD did better with Zen, relatively speaking, than they did with Bulldozer. We should expect a corresponding increase in market share vs. when Bulldozer was their main CPU product. There are a lot of factors that go into sales from both companies, but one thing that should not surprise anyone is an increase in AMD sales. I mean, you can try and dismiss this any way you like. Rationalize it away with excuse after excuse. But it is true. It makes sense given the better overall reception of Zen compared to Bulldozer. And no amount of "oh, I don't think this market segment counts because of X, or that one because of Y" will make it not true.

And as folks here may remember, I've had my share of issues even with Zen. I was very unhappy with the first round of Agesa updates. Zen hasn't been 100% clear sailing by any means. But it's better than Bulldozer, and found a place in the market that the last generation of AMD CPUs did not.

How well does your wife's 1600 /290 run? I have a 290x setting in a box and was thinking of pairing it up with something like a 1500x.
She only plays WoW but on a Ultra-wide 1080p and it runs great. Her 1600 (nonX) is at stock and has no issue running smoothly, great bang for the buck on that one.

1d35b5e7-21fd-4f55-a93c-91e610792aa0.jpg

Waiting for worldwide sales.

"Only" Germany? The 2nd largest population in Europe? The largest economy in Europe? 16th in population for the World, 5th economically and you go "only Germany". It's amazing how everything you have to say regarding AMD is tilted so negatively.

For example, if I were to say, "Oh, historically AMD has always had a better presence in Germany, so that's why sales are better, but we'll need to see worldwide sales to see global trends of Ryzen." It would be about the same as what you said, except I didn't shit all over AMD in the process, which you have, by down playing Germany's PC market, and by twisting the positivity of a company having a presence in a market into "Oh, it's just cause AMD is known in Germany. Not a big deal. It's bias."

Last edited:
"Only" Germany? The 2nd largest population in Europe? The largest economy in Europe? 16th in population for the World, 5th economically and you go "only Germany". It's amazing how everything have to say regarding AMD is tilted so negatively.

For example, if I were to say, "Oh, historically AMD has always had a better presence in Germany, so that's why sales are better, but we'll need to see worldwide sales to see global trends of Ryzen." It would be about the same as what you said, except I didn't shit all over AMD in the process, which you have, by down playing Germany's PC market, and by twisting the positivity of a company having a presence in a market into "Oh, it's just cause AMD is known in Germany. Not a big deal. It's bias."

You must dislike my way to say things, but you understood perfectly what I tried to say with your "Oh, historically AMD has always had a better presence in Germany, so that's why sales are better, but we'll need to see worldwide sales to see global trends of Ryzen."

You must dislike my way to say things, but you understood perfectly what I tried to say with your "Oh, historically AMD has always had a better presence in Germany, so that's why sales are better, but we'll need to see worldwide sales to see global trends of Ryzen."
If you really wanted to prove merit to your point, then you would have to show higher sales in Germany than the rest of the world, all things being equal. Based on the numbers they showed it looks legitimately reasonable as indicative of the whole world, especially when added to Amazon ratings world wide.

Reactions: kac77
like this
If that's the only thing you got from this then that says it all.

You know, the number of excuses bandied about whenever anything positive about AMD is mentioned is getting rather hilarious. AMD did better with Zen, relatively speaking, than they did with Bulldozer. We should expect a corresponding increase in market share vs. when Bulldozer was their main CPU product. There are a lot of factors that go into sales from both companies, but one thing that should not surprise anyone is an increase in AMD sales. I mean, you can try and dismiss this any way you like. Rationalize it away with excuse after excuse. But it is true. It makes sense given the better overall reception of Zen compared to Bulldozer. And no amount of "oh, I don't think this market segment counts because of X, or that one because of Y" will make it not true.

This is repeating the obvious whereas ignoring the point.

No one said that Zen wouldn't bring an increase in marketshare compared to where the company was before Zen launch. What is being stressed is that certain BS media is publishing sensationalist articles about Zen sales. WCCFTECH has now published this news about Germany local sales, but they published in July a sensationalist article titled "AMD Takes 10.4% CPU Share From Intel In Q2 2017 In Passmark Survey, Its Largest Quarterly Share Gain In History". The July article wasn't only based in wrong data, but once the data was corrected they no longer published a retraction of the article neither a new article with the correct data.

This is the nonsense that they published in July

AMD-Intel-Q3-2017-CPU-Market-Share.png

and the reality at time of writing this is that AMD won a 4% marketshare since Zen launch

Q4 2016: 17.80%

Q3 2017: 22.20%

This is repeating the obvious whereas ignoring the point.

No one said that Zen wouldn't bring an increase in marketshare compared to where the company was before Zen launch. What is being stressed is that certain BS media is publishing sensationalist articles about Zen sales. WCCFTECH has now published this news about Germany local sales, but they published in July a sensationalist article titled "AMD Takes 10.4% CPU Share From Intel In Q2 2017 In Passmark Survey, Its Largest Quarterly Share Gain In History". The July article wasn't only based in wrong data, but once the data was corrected they no longer published a retraction of the article neither a new article with the correct data.

This is the nonsense that they published in July

AMD-Intel-Q3-2017-CPU-Market-Share.png

and the reality at time of writing this is that AMD won a 4% marketshare since Zen launch

Q4 2016: 17.80%

Q3 2017: 22.20%
Seriosly? You do know that Q3 isn't over yet and seeing as you are dead set against using Passmark as a metric Then

WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU KEEP MENTIONING IT AS ONE???

It is obvious you have no valid argument. No proof of slant other than mention a site that carries with it a negative connotation and known to pass off rumors as fact. But the information inside shows graphs of fact and ACTUAL sales numbers. They even go so far to give historic numbers in the fact this is the first time in 10years. Your crusade against AMD is getting weaker by the second.

Even if we assume the original article is correct worldwide, and AMD is outselling Intel by 12%, it's going to take a long while for market share to catch up as many people already have Intel systems and won't upgrade immediately. Both reports can be true.

Must keep our "safe spaces" like at colleges eh? Disagreeing doesn't mean you should block or that they're bad posters.

I dont know about safe spaces, but I do know Nations develop bigger and better weapons over the years, cause some people can't be reasoned with...

Seriosly? You do know that Q3 isn't over yet and seeing as you are dead set against using Passmark as a metric Then

WHY IN THE HELL DO YOU KEEP MENTIONING IT AS ONE???

It is obvious you have no valid argument. No proof of slant other than mention a site that carries with it a negative connotation and known to pass off rumors as fact. But the information inside shows graphs of fact and ACTUAL sales numbers. They even go so far to give historic numbers in the fact this is the first time in 10years. Your crusade against AMD is getting weaker by the second.

I simply stated that:

(i) Germany is traditionally a pro-AMD country because AMD has been investing millions of euros in foundries during last decade. You can find the famous "diffused in Germany" label on AMD chips since classic 32bit Athlons to recent A10 APUs.

(ii) The source of this news, is a well-known BS place that has a long history on posting false information about AMD products and/or sales. I just mentioned how they did similar claims in the July of this year about AMD sales/marketshare, and it was all a fake.

If you really wanted to prove merit to your point, then you would have to show higher sales in Germany than the rest of the world, all things being equal. Based on the numbers they showed it looks legitimately reasonable as indicative of the whole world, especially when added to Amazon ratings world wide.

It works both ways. You and others here also maybe want to provide proof that sales in Germany represent sales in the rest of the world, and aren't simply a local statistical anomaly.

Back