AMD Confirms "Zen 4" on 5nm, Other Interesting Tidbits from Q2-2020 Earnings Call

erek

[H]F Junkie
"CEO Dr Lisa Su also reiterated that the future-gen "Zen 4" microarchitecture is "in the lab and looking good," and that it will be built on the 5 nm silicon fabrication process. The AMD corporate presentation confirms that "Genoa" will be the codename of the EPYC product based on "Zen 4." The slide suggests a 2021 rollout of "Genoa." The same presentation also points to "Zen 3" based Ryzen products debuting within 2020, and a 2021 debut of the RDNA3 graphics architecture on an "Advanced Node." Consumer graphics continues to be a weak spot for AMD, with revenues on the decline. AMD is betting on RDNA2 and a "full refresh" of the product stack to turn its fortunes around. While semi-custom shipments will drive Q3 revenues, Q4 is expected to be propelled largely by "Zen 3" and RDNA2.

AMD isn't celebrating Intel's fumbles with foundry nodes just yet. As a fabless chip-maker, the company is still at the mercy of TSMC for growth in volumes. Su commented that 7 nm supply situation is "still tight" for AMD. She stated that the company is working with TSMC to ensure it can satisfy customer demand.

AMD appears unfazed by Intel "Tiger Lake." Ryzen 4000 series processors based on the "Renoir" silicon will continue to drive revenues for AMD in the mobile segment, in 2H-2020. In the call, an analyst with JP Morgan and Chase shared findings of the firm's internal survey of CIOs across the industry. According to the survey, CIOs are increasingly receptive to deploying AMD EPYC processors. An analyst also asked AMD if it sees a threat with Arm in the server space, especially in the light of Apple dumping x86. Dr Su said she's quite confident that the PC and server markets remain predominantly x86, and that it's on chipmakers to ensure the x86 remains competitive."

https://www.techpowerup.com/270414/...nteresting-tidbits-from-q2-2020-earnings-call

Jim Keller was the CPU leader they needed at just the right time. Raja Kouduri was the empty suit who did nothing for their GPU division and they haven't had a clear leader in the GPU division in a long time.

AMD is doing better than I could have ever hoped for. Yep, despite people bashing me for praising what Lisa Su has accomplished, it appears that this is only just the beginning.

If only they would make a coherent naming scheme for their CPUs. I mean, a 3000 series should be a Ryzen 3. The mobile cpus should have the same series number as that of the desktop cpu on which they are based.

I'm kinda glad that's the biggest gripe I have AMD's cpus. ;)

AMD, please don't hold back, Intel needs all the competition it can get!
AMD and Intel are the only ones who can make x86 stay relevant with ARM rising in popularity (not that its a bad thing).
Here's hoping RDNA2 will bring back good competition with Nvidia at the top end.

AMD is doing better than I could have ever hoped for. Yep, despite people bashing me for praising what Lisa Su has accomplished, it appears that this is only just the beginning.
100% she saved the company but no matter how much we praise her for what she's done share holders ultimately control her fate and all they give a shit about is what have you done now, not what have you done over the last 10 years to save the company.

100% she saved the company but no matter how much we praise her for what she's done share holders ultimately control her fate and all they give a shit about is what have you done now, not what have you done over the last 10 years to save the company.

Short sighted share holders, sure but, I would not expect them to be so short sighted considering she helped bring them from the brink of death.

I would give Rory Read some credit for keeping the company a float during tough times and Zen development started under his watch.

Back