AMD Confirms Zen 3's Performance Is Monstrous and Speculation Thread

I'm also going to be choosing between the 5900x and 5800x. On the one hand 5900x should be faster since it has more raw horsepower but it uses an 8+4 CCD design vs the single 8 core CCD of the 5800x so how does that affect latency and performance in gaming?
I don't think you'll see any negative effect from having the extra cluster.

November 5th? No 5 GHz? That kinda sucks, but overall it still looks really good. $50 price hike across the stack as well, though.
Why does 5 GHz matter? If it was 1GHz and ran circles around Intel would it matter? No, it's just a number, focus on performance. Remember, bulldozer was 5GHz, it didn't mean crap then either. If it can outrun the 10900k in almost all work loads (including single thread and games), then who cares if it's lower frequency? Obviously we still have to wait on 3rd party benchmarks, but at least it looks like they made a lot of progress this cycle.

A $50 increase across the product line isn't a huge bump considering that AMD will have the unquestionable best CPU performance, even across games too now. Nvidia is the real master of price gouging. They only gave us about a 25% FPS performance bump from the 1080TI but increased price by 70% for the 2080Ti. $700->$1200.

A $50 increase across the product line isn't a huge bump considering that AMD will have the unquestionable best CPU performance, even across games too now. Nvidia is the real master of price gouging. They only gave us about a 25% FPS performance bump from the 1080TI but increased price by 70% for the 2080Ti. $700->$1200.
They basically raised prices to match Intel, they figured why not get a few more $$ out of their chips if there competition is priced higher and they can compete/beat them in just about everything. Makes sense, although I'm a little disappointed with no 5700x, guess my 3700x's will have to do for the time being.

Why does 5 GHz matter? If it was 1GHz and ran circles around Intel would it matter? No, it's just a number, focus on performance. Remember, bulldozer was 5GHz, it didn't mean crap then either. If it can outrun the 10900k in almost all work loads (including single thread and games), then who cares if it's lower frequency? Obviously we still have to wait on 3rd party benchmarks, but at least it looks like they made a lot of progress this cycle.
Yeah, that's fair. Recently though the Intel stuff has benefitted from those higher clock speeds, and some games just like raw clocks. But indeed, if the performance is there then the number doesn't matter, I agree.

AMD is missing 5700X with 65Watt TDP. (similar to 3700X). that is the one I am interested in.

AMD knows that. Everybody was buying the 3700x instead of the 3800x. So they are intentionally witholding this part to increase sales of the 5800x. From a marketing perspective I understand why they are doing it. You're going to have to wait longer if you want the 5700x. So for now I'm choosing between 5800x and 5900x. Can't wait for the full reviews and benchmarks to come out!!!

snip... So they are intentionally witholding this part to increase sales of the 5800x. From a marketing perspective I understand why they are doing it. snip...

I could swear I've heard of that strategy before...

Looking good for AMD. My 8700K is still very acceptable, but I would be interested in rocking an all AMD-build for my main computer.

10900k will have same or few FPS more clocked in some games but it will lose in everything else with a lot. So benchmarks are useless but just for info ;)
Benchmarks are useless.. for you. I don't care about cinebench and blender, and the claim has been that Zen3 will finally beat Intel in single threaded IPC. So we'll need to let the benchmarks do the talking, not wishful thinking.

Benchmarks are useless.. for you. I don't care about cinebench and blender, and the claim has been that Zen3 will finally beat Intel in single threaded IPC. So we'll need to let the benchmarks do the talking, not wishful thinking.

You aren't trying to say that a manufacturer would try to mislead us are you!?
That SURELY would never happen, hahahaha.

So why is it 5xxx? What happened to the 4xxx series? Did I miss something on the number jump?

I do really get tired of how much focus some geeks put on Cinebench and Blender. Like if you are doing 3D work then ya, those matter. However I have a feeling maybe 2% of the people who point and shout at those benchmarks actually use any program they matter to. For me, and many others, crunching lots of 3D stuff in parallel isn't that interesting because we don't do it.

They need to stop that crap.
They are stopping that crap. This is how they're stopping it.

I sorta think AMD will do a quick follow-up on the Zen 3 5000-series with a Zen 3 6000-series, using a new socket and DDR5 support.

Then they'll have a 7000-series Zen 4 and 7000-series RDNA3.

The reason why I think that is because AMD's on 18-month product cycles, but DDR5 won't line up with that. If they do a Zen 3 AM5, they'll only have to redesign the memory controller, but see probably 5-10% gains with the new RAM, plus any clock improvements they can muster. They'll have a whole stack of products to pick up anyone who wanted to be early adopters and couldn't or aren't early adopters who like to wait for a more mature platform before changing their hardware.

That's total conjecture on my part. But it would make everything line up neatly.

Don't think it has been brought up yet but apparently only the 3600X will come with a stock cooler. The 3800X and up will not include any cooler. Probably not a huge deal for most of us, but fairly interesting non-the-less.

AMD's new offerings look very nice. It's going to be hard not to upgrade to a 5900X, but I think I'd be better served by a GPU upgrade if I'm gonna spend any money. I don't play 1080p games so wouldn't really see any difference in gaming I expect.

Don't think it has been brought up yet but apparently only the 3600X will come with a stock cooler. The 3800X and up will not include any cooler. Probably not a huge deal for most of us, but fairly interesting non-the-less.
Hoping I can recycle my 3600 cooler to use on a 5900x. I won't be overclocking.

Wow, and just like that all my interest in Zen3 vanished till at least next year when they put them on sale. Kinda glad I picked up a 3700X a couple of months ago on a hunch.

Let me reconfigure my BounceAlert and....yep....I'm ready for the launch! ;)

I'm impressed. This affirms my choice to go with a 5700X as my next CPU.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Is this how they get around calling it a paper launch? By calling it a "teaser" as if was a movie or a game? :rolleyes:
Well sorta, I mean they have had the Oct 28’th date booked for their big reveal for Months now. I think the one today was set up far more recently it steal some of NVidia’s thunder because they have been dominating the news lately.

Back