AMD Confirms Zen 3's Performance Is Monstrous and Speculation Thread

I don’t think the consoles having more cores is going to do much on PC gaming. I think consoles will start looking better and we are going to see feature creep but for the next 2 years or so not a lot is going to change on the PC side. After that who knows, the biggest advancements I think are going to be from improvements in other areas more people having nvme storage larger ram counts and not having to deal with 32 bit anything. The best things coming up are AI related now that Intel, AMD, and NVidia, all have mainstream GPU offerings that are capable, not expecting much there till late 2021 at the earliest. But until the next gen game engines start making the rounds we aren’t going to see any large changes in system requirements outside of gimmick features.

I have a 3960x sooooo......

Ill have a 4800x as well soon muhahaha
I am personally very interested in what ever the 4970X equivalent is going to be. I really want to know if they are going with a new socket, the Threadripper Pro's that they did up for the OEM's use a different socket than the retail ones.

I am personally very interested in what ever the 4970X equivalent is going to be. I really want to know if they are going with a new socket, the Threadripper Pro's that they did up for the OEM's use a different socket than the retail ones.

Genesis Peak (zen 3 TR) is the last SP3, whether that means that they’re actually pin compatible is another thing but at least the cooling will work :)

The Pro was never gonna be compatible because of the 8 channel memory.

We’ll see I guess, lord knows when

Well of course now that we know the nomenclature have changed, which wasnt known to me when I posted.
I figured as much. I've been saying it was hopefully going to be the 5000 series for well over a month, mostly just hoping it would come true.. now it is seeming they may actually go through with it. I'm happy, I always hated the APU/CPU nomenclature issues... Like B550 MBs being sold that "support 3000 series excluding 3200g/3400g". What a stupid thing they caused on their own by trying to make their APUs sound better.

I’m in for a Single 8core ccx chip to top of the x570 Unify. It’s good enough for what I do till DDR 5 is a thing. The 3300x numbers have me pumped for what improvements we can see on a single ccx cpu.

all this hype about how amazing Zen 3 is I'll be really disappointed if it's not available anywhere at launch...I have all the parts for my new build except the CPU

all this hype about how amazing Zen 3 is I'll be really disappointed if it's not available anywhere at launch...I have all the parts for my new build except the CPU

I am waiting to see if it beats Intel in gaming - I have doubts, but am hopeful. The bummer is that either way I go it's presumably a dead-end platform, since I think this is the last AM4 they are doing with the Ryzen stuff.

I am waiting to see if it beats Intel in gaming - I have doubts, but am hopeful. The bummer is that either way I go it's presumably a dead-end platform, since I think this is the last AM4 they are doing with the Ryzen stuff.

it's the last of AM4 but I don't really consider it a dead end in the traditional sense...it has all the forward looking features I need for the foreseeable future including PCIe 4.0...AM5 with DDR5 will take awhile to mature

I thought AMD confirmed that X570 would be compatible with Zen 3...so all X570 boards should be fine

I will likely just wait for the reveal and benchmarks, but there's always that wonder of if I should grab a motherboard beforehand.

Of course, if they don't support them out of the box that might be an issue without a previous-gen CPU.

I will likely just wait for the reveal and benchmarks, but there's always that wonder of if I should grab a motherboard beforehand.

Of course, if they don't support them out of the box that might be an issue without a previous-gen CPU.

I bought one of the newer X570 boards, the MSI X570 Tomahawk which people are raving about but I'm going to see if the X670 rumors are true and new boards are released (minus the chipset fan) alongside Zen 3...the fan is not a big deal but all things being equal I'd prefer a board without it

Ok be real now, on a scale of Zoog to Azathoth how Monstrous are we talking here?
Cthulhu

2k4h4f.jpg

Now that's some INSANE performance! :D

So will this give me a good reason to finally upgrade my 5820k? I really want to upgrade but I also feel like what I have works fine.

On a side note thinking about it a bit I wonder where is the hard disk to ssd type jump in tech for other parts of our PC? Am I thinking about it wrong? Yeah it wasn't a revolutionary change but it was a rather significant jump in performance.

Do we know if all current X570 motherboards will support Ryzen 5000?
You will most likely need to update your BIOS before installing, but yes, all x570's and b550's are supporting it, and SOME x470's and b450's will be as well (This will be manufacturer and model specific it seems).

:(

what about FP?
FP is supposedly much higher, up to 50% increase (obviously we're likely to see a bit less in the real world, but still much improved). erek, are you excited??

"It is pointed out that in mixed operations that leverage both integer and floating-point units of the Zen architecture, Zen 3 could deliver a 17% IPC gain on average. It is also stated that the integer ops are getting a 10-12% increase on average while the floating-point operations could feature up to a 50% increase in performance."
https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-3-ryzen-4000-epyc-milan-cpu-17-percent-ipc-gain-rumor/

do you remember how flaky SiS and VIA chipsets were? I think we're all better off with them on the sidelines.

The SiS 735 chipset was pretty damn good in my opinion. I had an ECS K7S5A motherboard which ran for years and ran great. They practically gave those things away with how little they cost and despite the fact it was an ECS board, they tended to not immediately blow up which was a major departure for ECS.

Oh man those were memories.
K7S5A was sometimes finicky to get setup the first time, but after getting out working, the thing was bullet proof and ran for years without issue.
Nothing special to write home about on that board, just a stable workhorse.
My bad experience from those days was the shuttle ak31 on the via kt266.
Couldn't do anything to get those boards stable. And only after the kt266a and the ak31a was I finally able to experience a good via chipset implementation.

Reactions: erek
like this
You will most likely need to update your BIOS before installing, but yes, all x570's and b550's are supporting it, and SOME x470's and b450's will be as well (This will be manufacturer and model specific it seems).

Sooo I'm guessing like with other instances of this in the past, you won't be able to update the BIOS without an existing processor in the slot, correct?

like this
Sooo I'm guessing like with other instances of this in the past, you won't be able to update the BIOS without an existing processor in the slot, correct?
Depends on the MB. A lot have flashback or w/e that specific manufacturer calls it in which you can flash a bios without a CPU installed. The ones that don't have this feature, yes you'll have to get a bootkit from AMD or borrow a CPU from someone. If anyone is local to 29856 you can feel free to use one of mine :).

like this
The SiS 735 chipset was pretty damn good in my opinion. I had an ECS K7S5A motherboard which ran for years and ran great. They practically gave those things away with how little they cost and despite the fact it was an ECS board, they tended to not immediately blow up which was a major departure for ECS.
Holy Recall Batman ... engaging parts of my cerebral cortex that have been dormant for a loooong time .. I had the dark PCB variant of that mobo!
1600910652413.png

It was a solid board until I slipped my flat head screwdriver off of the heatsink clip trying to put it on and damaged a trace on the motherboard :(

I agree. I always bought VIA back then, but SiS was the better chipset IMO. I belonged to a bunch of NLE forums back in the day and they all sang the praise of SiS and crapped on VIA.
Anyways..
I think it would be odd to have such a big release and not have a set MB line-up. It can't be a shit show of updating BIOS, or borrowed CPU. It has to be smooth and I would like the reassurance of a board designed for the new arch. Anybody heard anything in these regards?

like this
Looking forward to this but I hope they resolved needing 3733MHz ram for optimal performance.

like this
Back