AMD Confirms Zen 3's Performance Is Monstrous and Speculation Thread

erek

[H]F Junkie
"AMD have once against boasted about Zen 3's AKA Ryzen 5000, performance - calling it monstrous. We have heard a lot of promising things about the upcoming Zen 3 processors, and of course the official reveal of both the CPUs and GPUs is not far off. We will have to wait and see how the specs and performance fare up."

They're changing the nomenclature to match up to the mobile part scheme.

AMD making faster CPU's is great, but since almost none of this translates to game frames I'm suggesting it is irrelevant.... :)

(Sorry, I know you some of you use 'puters for more than, you know, pr0n and email and games....like *me*...)

Wait...does this improve the pr0n?

intrigued-gif-12.gif

AMD making faster CPU's is great, but since almost none of this translates to game frames I'm suggesting it is irrelevant.... :)

(Sorry, I know you some of you use 'puters for more than, you know, pr0n and email and games....like *me*...)

View attachment 280424

It will translate to game frames if rumors are true that they are going with 8 cores per CCX. That should reduce latency and allow them to at least catch up to Intel, with the rest of the improvements maybe even surpass.

It will translate to game frames if rumors are true that they are going with 8 cores per CCX. That should reduce latency and allow them to at least catch up to Intel, with the rest of the improvements maybe even surpass.
I though I heard they were drastically improving the cache in some way as well which should help with games along with any IPC or clock improvements.

4000? or is there a new hype train departing already?
That's no train... That's a Shinkansen...

Shitty jokes aside, I would like to see the supposed gains over the 3900X.

Edit: Also, official support for ECC on their non-pro line, with accompanied motherboards. If an i3-8100 can do it, I would hope their 4600 (assuming 6 cores) would be able to.

Going to try to temper my excitement given that if it's better than Intel, we'll probably see similar results to the 3080 launch. Hope AMD has more stock.

You are totally right ! Zen1 to Zen 2 offered no improvement to gaming FPS so why would Zen3? /s

4000? or is there a new hype train departing already?
They are finally fixing their stupidity when they named their APU's (desktop and laptop) for the wrong generation. So, to fix they are launching these as 5000 series. The 4000 series APU's are zen2, so it's confusing (not to those of us that pay attention, but misleading at best) to have the same series be two different architectures, one new and one old. So, now they will skip 4000 for CPU's and then the next APU launch will also use the 5000 nomenclature, which makes a lot more sense because it'll be zen3. I just wish they never started with that crap in the first place. The first APU's should have just been 1000 series :p.

Anyways, I hope these perform wonderful. I just picked up two 3700x's, but I'm not against upgrading at least one of them for Christmas ;).

I though I heard they were drastically improving the cache in some way as well which should help with games along with any IPC or clock improvements.
We haven't heard everything official so take with large grain of salt....
zen3 has a single 8 core ccx, and a unified cache architecture. So, not only will all cores be in one ccx reducing contention and memory latency, but they will all have access to the full L3 cache (double zen2), so larger cache = less memory latency as well. If there is also an IPC gain due to architecture updates, that would be nice too. If you check comparisons of the 3100 vs 3300x at the same speeds, you can get some ideas on what to expect. The 3100 is two CCX's with 2 cores enabled each. 3300x is once CCX with all 4 cores enabled. At the exact same clocks with the same memory speeds, the 3300x is somewhere around 10% faster in games. We are hoping this translates well to the 5700x/5800x, but we haven't heard anything official yet. They could possibly make a 3700x with 2 CCX's with 4 cores enabled on each for all we know ;). Maybe that would be the seperator for the 5700x vs 5800x, one is 2 CCX's with 1/2 the cores disabled, and the other could be 1 CCX with all 8 enabled. We really won't know until they announce their plans, anything is possible.

Anyways, there is zero reason to think games won't gain FPS just due to the unified cache and better memory support (check the instane memory clocks the 4000 series APU series are getting with 1:1 fclk, this alone would make a nice difference. A single CCX would make this much better; for example, a 5600x would be a single CCX with 6 cores enabled instead of 2 seperate CCX's, so at least something like the 5600x should have a nice uptick in performance over the 3600x (after seeing the difference between 3100 and 3300x + other changes, it should be easily over 10% difference). Not only does the CCX not have to share the IO die since it's only a single CCX, but all cores have access to the full cache. Anyways, time will tell of course, so extra services of salt and such until benchmarks come out!!!

We haven't heard everything official so take with large grain of salt....
zen3 has a single 8 core ccx, and a unified cache architecture. So, not only will all cores be in one ccx reducing contention and memory latency, but they will all have access to the full L3 cache (double zen2), so larger cache = less memory latency as well. If there is also an IPC gain due to architecture updates, that would be nice too. If you check comparisons of the 3100 vs 3300x at the same speeds, you can get some ideas on what to expect. The 3100 is two CCX's with 2 cores enabled each. 3300x is once CCX with all 4 cores enabled. At the exact same clocks with the same memory speeds, the 3300x is somewhere around 10% faster in games. We are hoping this translates well to the 5700x/5800x, but we haven't heard anything official yet. They could possibly make a 3700x with 2 CCX's with 4 cores enabled on each for all we know ;). Maybe that would be the seperator for the 5700x vs 5800x, one is 2 CCX's with 1/2 the cores disabled, and the other could be 1 CCX with all 8 enabled. We really won't know until they announce their plans, anything is possible.

Anyways, there is zero reason to think games won't gain FPS just due to the unified cache and better memory support (check the instane memory clocks the 4000 series APU series are getting with 1:1 fclk, this alone would make a nice difference. A single CCX would make this much better; for example, a 5600x would be a single CCX with 6 cores enabled instead of 2 seperate CCX's, so at least something like the 5600x should have a nice uptick in performance over the 3600x (after seeing the difference between 3100 and 3300x + other changes, it should be easily over 10% difference). Not only does the CCX not have to share the IO die since it's only a single CCX, but all cores have access to the full cache. Anyways, time will tell of course, so extra services of salt and such until benchmarks come out!!!

Yeah I've only been halfway paying attention to the rumors but that sounds like what I've read. There were similar rumors about improvements in games last gen that turned out to be true so I'm optimistic that they've at least attempted to work on that again especially since it's really there main deficiency right now.

Realistically I'll probably get something if improvements are at least moderate and my x470 gets a decent BIOS update for them.

My 2600 is fixin’ to be replaced with a 5700x no skipping this gen. I can’t wait.oh ya!

I have a 3600 which I bought at like $135 just to hold me to Zen3. Come on AMD!

They are finally fixing their stupidity when they named their APU's (desktop and laptop) for the wrong generation. So, to fix they are launching these as 5000 series. The 4000 series APU's are zen2, so it's confusing (not to those of us that pay attention, but misleading at best) to have the same series be two different architectures, one new and one old. So, now they will skip 4000 for CPU's and then the next APU launch will also use the 5000 nomenclature, which makes a lot more sense because it'll be zen3. I just wish they never started with that crap in the first place. The first APU's should have just been 1000 series :p.

Anyways, I hope these perform wonderful. I just picked up two 3700x's, but I'm not against upgrading at least one of them for Christmas ;).
Yeah those 4000 series zen 2 APUs were monstrously misnamed and misleading

I have a 3600 which I bought at like $135 just to hold me to Zen3. Come on AMD!
Did sort of the same thing. Bought a 3700X for $225 with full intentions of upgrading to Zen 3. Going to then use my 3700X to build a HTPC.

Don't believe it. They always over promise and under deliver.

I remember when the Ryzen 9s were going to blow away Intel, too, and they're not even close in single threaded applications.

Would love to be proven wrong but I won't be.

This guy has been going around shitting all over the 10 GB VRAM of the 3080 and complaining about reviewers not doing anything about HDMI 2.1. I think he just hates technology, or everything, I dunno.

Or maybe I just love things that don't blow.

This guy has been going around shitting all over the 10 GB VRAM of the 3080 and complaining about reviewers not doing anything about HDMI 2.1. I think he just hates technology, or everything, I dunno.

Maybe he just reads into the obviously stupid fanboy rumors (AdoredTV lol). I feel like AMD has really toned down the hype since Zen+ and are delivering as expected or even exceeding a little bit. Maybe that's just me though.

Hoping it turns out to be as great as rumored - this is the generation for which I've been holding out on an upgrade from my venerable and stately Intel 5960X, ideally moving over to AMD; I'm unsure if it will be Ryzen or Threadripper for me as of yet. Zen3 seems quite promising indeed and I'm glad they're stepping up to the "5000" series, as if I'm correct the existing mobile/APU 4000 series are predicated on Zen2 tech, not Zen3, so it would be confusing. Since the arrival of Zen, AMD has been finally back in the game and each iteration has been delivering on a great majority of the (reasonable) speculations in terms of performance. While Zen and Zen+ were certainly excellent showings, Zen2 finally came very close to single thread performance vs Intel while offering considerable multi-thread benefits and a great value. In most cases, the lead Intel had was negligible even. We're looking forward to further improvements in Zen3 that will mean between increased IPC, clockspeed, CCX layout, and other benefits etc... will probably equal if not exceed Intel's offerings even in single / per-thread performance.

I'm eager to support AMD as they tend to be more open (source, spec, etc) and than their competitors in CPU and GPU alike (though I grant that Intel does reasonably well in terms of open source, at times). They're not perfect however, as I'd still like to see AMD either remove or offer a way to verifiably disable their "PSP", a slightly more limited variant compared to Intel's "ME", which are both serious privacy and security concerns, amounting to a hardware backdoor ; an opaque blackbox chip that can see and in theory manipulate anything on your system in a manner that is difficult to detect. While there has been some limited success to sequester and negate the Intel variant, thanks in part to the Coreboot project, it only works on a handful of CPUs and chipsets; there's no much progress to date on AMD. As much as i'm looking forward to seeing stellar performance with Zen3 and possibly getting one of these chips, the more users who contact AMD and implore them to allow verifiable deactivating of the PSP (or removal entirely from those outside of their "business" line, where it at least in theory has some potential uses), the better.

let's hope that availability will be good and not another Nvidia 3080 launch

Availability for basically every hot item is going to blow now because of scumbag scalpers using bots. We really are at the point where there needs to be government intervention on that shit. It shouldn't be legal.

Availability for basically every hot item is going to blow now because of scumbag scalpers using bots. We really are at the point where there needs to be government intervention on that shit. It shouldn't be legal.

I would assume sending single digit numbers of stock to a handful of major brick stores and probably not much more to major online retailers may have had a little more to do with it.

They have figured out paper launches are bad. We are in the age of the cotton launch. Launch with review stock +a handful even if your not going to have real stock for a few months. Its better then getting scooped.

Reactions: travm
like this
Don't believe it. They always over promise and under deliver.

I remember when the Ryzen 9s were going to blow away Intel, too, and they're not even close in single threaded applications.

Would love to be proven wrong but I won't be.
Uh, no, they are very close in single-thread performance, and really, the only advantage Intel's current offerings have over AMD is in gaming performance.
Which, as stated many times before, isn't a big deal when Intel scores 176 fps and AMD scores 173 fps.

It's thanks to AMD that the market and technological stagnation of x86-64 CPUs was finally broken in 2017, and that allowed the world to finally move beyond quad-cores as the standard desktop CPU model.
Intel stagnated the market for nearly a decade, and quashed any innovation when possible throughout the last 35+ years, and definitely so in the last 20 years.

Uh, no, they are very close in single-thread performance, and really, the only advantage Intel's current offerings have over AMD is in gaming performance.
Which, as stated many times before, isn't a big deal when Intel scores 176 fps and AMD scores 173 fps.

It's thanks to AMD that the market and technological stagnation of x86-64 CPUs was finally broken in 2017, and that allowed the world to finally move beyond quad-cores as the standard desktop CPU model.
Intel stagnated the market for nearly a decade, and quashed any innovation when possible throughout the last 35+ years, and definitely so in the last 20 years.

Nope. The Ryzen 9s aren't even close. They get destroyed in single thread performance especially in emulators. There's a 20%+ difference.

Back