AMD confirms Ryzen and Vega launch timetables.

will i be able to do the pencil trick so i can turn a 6 core into an 8 core?

I have my no.2 pencil ready to go ,

my prediction, from leaked benchmarks.

Rysen top of the line 8 core slightly beats a 6800k and sells for 429.99

is about 27% slower than the 6900k in 3D rendering and video encoding performance

IPC about as fast as a haswell chip for gaming and is just as fast as a 5960x stock but not when a 5960x is overclocked.

. Rysen Doesnt seem to overclock well unless you purchase top of the line MSI Asus motherboard offerings with very good cooling. 3D rendering and encoding fails when processor is overclocked past 300-400mhz.

Intel drops prices on all Broadwell -e processors about 20-25% sometime late march or early April.

Intel announces Optane Technology LGA 2066 extreme edition 16-22 core processor Kaby lake-X for 1799.99 and blows the doors off rysen about 25-30 % faster in 3d rendering and encoding...overclocked becomes 35% percent faster.

rysen drops another 20-25% price to compete right before LGA 2066 is released, twitch users finally catch on how AMD rysen is the go to choice for live streaming . Maybe even increasing sales.

Intel fanboys start buying up Xenon LGA 2011-3 , 14-22 core processors off ebay for 700-1k and laugh at Rysens encoding performance and 3d rendering .

Intel Announces Cannon lake new flagship processor that is set to be released fall 2017 with a 10-15 percent faster IPC than kaby lake and comes with 8 cores for 379.99.. This is the go to processor for 144hz 4k Gaming when nvidia releases GTX 2080 . Rysen becomes a CPU bottleneck unless you are playing total warhammer or ashes of singularity

AMD falls behind yet again.. like the FX series when it was released.

Last edited:
I'm definitely ready to see AMD get their asses in gear.

Finally following up on what made Nvidia and Intel successful in their respective markets: roadmap execution.

is about 27% slower than the 6900k in 3D rendering and video encoding performance

IPC about as fast as a haswell chip for gaming and is just as fast as a 5960x stock but not when a 5960x is overclocked.

. Rysen Doesnt seem to overclock well unless you purchase top of the line MSI Asus motherboard offerings with very good cooling. 3D rendering and encoding fails when processor is overclocked past 300-400mhz.

Intel drops prices on all Broadwell -e processors about 20-25% sometime late march or early April.

Intel announces Optane Technology LGA 2066 extreme edition 16-22 core processor Kaby lake-X for 1799.99 and blows the doors off rysen about 25-30 % faster in 3d rendering and encoding...overclocked becomes 35% percent faster.

rysen drops another 20-25% price to compete right before LGA 2066 is released, twitch users finally catch on how AMD rysen is the go to choice for live streaming . Maybe even increasing sales.

Intel fanboys start buying up Xenon LGA 2011-3 , 14-22 core processors off ebay for 700-1k and laugh at Rysens encoding performance and 3d rendering .

Intel Announces Cannon lake new flagship processor that is set to be released fall 2017 with a 10-15 percent faster IPC than kaby lake and comes with 8 cores for 379.99.. This is the go to processor for 144hz 4k Gaming when nvidia releases GTX 2080 . Rysen becomes a CPU bottleneck unless you are playing total warhammer or ashes of singularity

/THREAD

You sir, are a genius.

/THREAD

You sir, are a genius.

prediction#2

499.99 for the most-premium SR7 Black Edition 8 Core rysen,, overclocks to 5ghz on single core with liquid nitrogen but can still reach on all 8 cores 4.3-4.4 ghz with watercooling from the default 4ghz boost. However you will have to disable other 4 cores to reach 4.7-5ghz , so there goes your 3d rendering and encoding. Rysen Still has the IPC of broadwell-e and power efficiency but is cpu bound in DX 12 games using overclocked GTX 1080 or Titan XP compared to Broadwell-E chips when overclocked.

hehe

i cant wait until Rysen is released , so i can see if i was right. This is all in good fun and not to offend anyone.

Rysen for sure will cause HEDT intel chip prices to drop about 20-25% within the next 6 months, especially right when LGA 2066 is announced. Based my calculations since the 5960x is selling used for 800.00 right now on ebay with an original retail price of 1k. We might see the 5960x drop another 200.00 in the coming months after rysen is released . So 600-650.00 would be fair game for a 5960x after rysen is released.

Last edited:
Is it me or is there a huge hype train full of bubbles forming? Don't hear me wrong, I hope it doesn't fail, but there is a lot of hype while we have very little info.
Also, while a lot of people seem to be waiting for Ryzen and want to buy the cpus, more people seem to just want intel to lower prices and buy intel parts...
Just read the thread - most here can barely keep it in their pants because of how awesome Ryzen will be while there are very few real details about it. It's like No Man's Sky all over again.

Is it me or is there a huge hype train full of bubbles forming? Don't hear me wrong, I hope it doesn't fail, but there is a lot of hype while we have very little info.
Also, while a lot of people seem to be waiting for Ryzen and want to buy the cpus, more people seem to just want intel to lower prices and buy intel parts...
Just read the thread - most here can barely keep it in their pants because of how awesome Ryzen will be while there are very few real details about it. It's like No Man's Sky all over again.

i have a feeling it might be like when intel claimed 5ghz on the 4790k
also rumor has it AMD engineers are scrambling last min revisions on rysen to get within 10 percent of broadwell speeds. I still think the 6700 and 7700k and even a overclocked broadwell-e will beat rysen. When optane comes out for the 7700k intel might even see better improvements.

just a hunch

amd tends to do shit like this. r9 290, meh feel free to unlock the extra cu's. fury, meh feel free to unlock cu's. i also dont belive they have had any locked cpu's in awill. their mangy chips were unlocked and i see no reason they would go out of their way to lock their new chips. they need every advantage they can get and if someone wants to dish out the money for a server chip i highly dought they would prohibit that. and lets remember intel has had a significant amount of unlocked chips. westmere ftw!

as for the cards i need 490s asap as i want them. all of them or maybye like 4 as thats all i can afford if i sell al my 290's curently mining.

for consumer level stuff yes, but not enterprise/professional hardware because it's part of the warranty service and premium cost that all the processors are certified to last X number of years at a specific clock speed. the last opterons to be unlocked were some engineering sample magny-cours that made it out into the wild which was 7 years ago, lol. yeah not going to happen.

what we want is competition. the cpu market is stagnant and theres nothing that's going to force it to change so ultimately we all want ryzen to be successful whether you buy intel or if you buy AMD it doesn't matter. will it be? who knows..

Last edited:
Excited for this, just hope it won't be a disappointment like Bulldozer. If it matches performance against the i7 6900k I will be happy and will purchase the flagship CPU.

Excited for this, just hope it won't be a disappointment like Bulldozer. If it matches performance against the i7 6900k I will be happy and will purchase the flagship CPU.

do you plan on encoding ? curious to know what you will be doing with the other 4 cores

March and Q2 is really late shit better be good or its Bulldozer all over again

OOOOOOOoooooooooh Damn. I just bought a new Intel CPU. :D

But here's hoping they come to the table with a decent CPU / GPU that can provide some competition. It's been years (and years) since I've bought an AMD CPU.

Same here as I was waiting to see whether I could go this route or have to go with annoying Intel and their cynical approach.
But if they manage a good solid launch early March then I am happy to wait just over 4 weeks.
Cheers

What is Intel's cynical approach?

I'm holding on for the fastest single threaded performing CPU.

But if AMD comes through with "fast enough" at competitive price, I will give them my business.

Dammit, I got tax money burning a hole in my pocket and a 670gtx keeping me from glorious VR goodness. I wish they'd push a hard date for Vega.

I am going to make a request for when this comes out. Please, when doing the benchmark comparisons, include earlier Intel chips, even first generation i7/i5, etc. This way, all of us holding on to 4-6 year old processors because the recent releases haven't been compelling enough for us to part with our money can have a good idea if this is the upgrade we have been looking for!

God damn, last I heard was feb 22.. day before mah burrrrfday, that would've been the ultimate self present! Ah well. A little boy can wait for AMD to dole out the ryzin.

Majority of my best and most memorable computing moments were on AMD rigs. sx386, k6-2 CXT 380MHz, Duron 750 pencil modding yahboi!, Athlon 1800+ DUTC3, AXP3000+?3200+? clawhammer launch on S754, with my favourite being the Opteron 165 dual which hit above 40%+ OC... on air.

It is funny when you don't link things you base your prediction on it is a big pie in the sky argument to begin with.
So what is it motherboards don't do overclocking well is there a general statement or does it concern X370 as whole ?

From a comparison found on http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5960X/3605vs2580

I found your argument about 5960x lacking some validation what are you telling us exactly when we saw performance of engineering samples doing better at Integer and Floating Point vs the 6900K in Handbrake and Blender demo.

About another pie in the sky Optane from this article it is clear that it will never see the user space. Let alone that they are going to get it out when people still seeing problems with Optane.

And where is the strategy in all of this Intel will do this bla bla bla? Intel will release 12000 cores and will have 15% better IPC based on what exactly ?

How on earth are you going to get general consumers to buy 14+ core cpu when that is server market territory ?

Your conclusion also falls pretty short and being somewhat manipulative.

AMD came back from the mess they created themselves and there getting closer to Intel. And the FX series that has to be the series that was released by AMD before Bulldozer ?

Hopefully Vega turns out to be good. I've been holding off replacing my HD6950 for the last 6 months.

Ouchies, I feel for you peeps who were really really hoping for a Feb release :rage: and have been holding back on buying for a little while.

They will release specs and pricing sometime this month I'd expect with independent reviews out around launch day.

Hey man as long as prices drop for us people on a budget, I'm ok with all you mentioned!

Hey man as long as prices drop for us people on a budget, I'm ok with all you mentioned!

I expect the CPU that budget users purchase (4C / 8T) to be a less than $200 US (at least have some versions that are less than $200 US). The 8C / 16T will be an enthusiast CPU.

Pretty much. Intel will have to release 8 core desktop chips. I'm pretty sure intel will still have the higher IPC overall so all they will have to do is release a chip with equal cores. It's not like the Athlon64 days where they needed a new architecture and were stuck for several years. Depending on pricing and ipc, ryzen may still have a chance at grabbing some decent market share.

Intel will have to release 8 core desktop chips.

Next year Intel will release 6C / 12T desktop chips. This has been in the works for years and it would have happened without Ryzen.

I'm pretty sure intel will still have the higher IPC overall so all they will have to do is release a chip with equal cores.

With AMD having a lower IPC and most likely lower frequency I don't think having the same number of cores will be necessary. Also the 8C / 16T will not be the biggest seller. The biggest selling Ryzen CPU will have 4 cores.

vega.png

I've been running an i7-920 since it was released as, at the time, AMD was just not competitive. I am really hoping they deliver on Ryzen because I've been needing to rebuild but not wanting to fork out what Intel's asking.

I've been running an i7-920 since it was released as, at the time, AMD was just not competitive. I am really hoping they deliver on Ryzen because I've been needing to rebuild but not wanting to fork out what Intel's asking.
I was in a similar boat with a i7-930. Last week i broke down and got a whole new system with a i7-7700k.
I'm just pessimistic about the lack of benchmarks, and for the ones that come out seeing them compare it to a cpu on intel's side that's been downclocked and that's 3 years old.
I really do hope i'm wrong and they have a kick ass product. I don't have a lot of hope though.
We're going to get to the point where snapdragon desktop cpus are outclassing intel's offerings before amd really has something to offer.

Personally, I cannot wait. Although my work computer, an FX 8350 with 32GB of ram, is quick enough with the SSD's and what I ask of it, it does not overclock worth a crap. :( Yes, not overclocking the work machine is probably a good idea but, I am really wanting a newer 8 Core cpu with DDR4. ;)

I can wait. My 3570K still blows my socks off relatively. BF4, Doom, run just fine. Windows everything runs fine for me. With SSD in place it is snappy.

Still gonna upgrade but I can definitely wait. Though there was disappointment that we won't know until March for certain vs. later this month.

I'll live.

Why do they keep on pushing it back? I was sure i read somewhere it was supposed to be end of feb for ryzen and march for vega. Now it's pushed back at least a month on zen and another or two on vega.
Is this going to be a paper launch?
During the official Ryzen announcement, and leading up to this one, they had been repeatedly saying Q1, and also that 'Q1 doesn't mean the end of Q1'. March is pretty end-of-Q1 to me…

At least they assure us that it will be a hard launch.

Silicon Lottery incoming on failed 8C cores? Wonder if these will unlock to the full speed of the 8C or beyond and maybe even the same core count? Is this the second coming of the old school AMD tricore? I remember there being a HUGE thread on if it unlocked and stable or unlocked but unstable.

Translation:
AMD currently validates Ryzen 6C / 12T @ 3.3 GHz base but NOT 8C / 8T. The goal is clearly to recycle the failed 8C dies.

Does it outperform a 7970 by enough of a margin to warrant it?

Yeah, that's a pretty good price, if you don''t mind the loud cooler. They had to pack in enough fan power to move 175w into an ITX slot.

But if you have a reference blower on your 7970, it will be the same.

Also, to those who cry "hard launch," just remember: Skylake 6700k was a hard launch too. As was the RX 480 (one month after announcement).

Neither of which was available easily at MSRP for three months after launch. Because yields.

Zen 8c should be the same or larger than the RX 480, so expect some initial yield issues.

Last edited:
Back