AMD Confirms Prototype Triple Fan For Vega 56

Hopefully AMD/Nvidia start thinking about including these designs in their reference builds since they seem to be more efficient at cooling cards. Here's to hoping it happens!

First sign of super inefficiency = a cooler that is literally twice as long as your card. Just wow.

First sign of super inefficiency = a cooler that is literally twice as long as your card. Just wow.

the fury had around the sizes. Con length means nothing. The die on this card is fairly large

So, they go to HBM partially to control card size by reducing memory traces...and then have to make a full-length blower to make it work anyway? Not that there aren't other benefits to using HBM, but it seems that they are missing out on at least some of the original selling points.

The cooler covers all components though, not just the GPU. The memory needs to be cooled as well because the heat from the increased clock speeds and other components.

So, they go to HBM partially to control card size by reducing memory traces...and then have to make a full-length blower to make it work anyway? Not that there aren't other benefits to using HBM, but it seems that they are missing out on at least some of the original selling points.

Have to agree, when pc per stripped down the vega FE they found that a lot of the pcb was empty space so its just been made long to accommodate the newer version of the aio they have on the card. Its much more encompassing than what was on fury x, and has an auxiliary reservoir . Very similar to the cooler on fury pro duo.

Pic here http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/view_image.php?fn=/data/editor/1708/b6b4f6095944affde44975b3a8cd23c8_1502679057_102.jpg

I just can't get over those fans. Team Rocket fans for the GPU that channels as much electricity as a Pikachu. Think I'm going to stay with my liquid cooled 980Ti.

dUxFfxq.jpg

This design looks reminiscent to Sapphire's Tri-X R9 Fury

Also, I wonder why more card makers don't do this type of design.
The GPU heatsink will work better, if it doesn't have to blow into a PCB. (obvious caveat of the heat blowing into the CPU heatsink, but that's besides the point)

It also comes with a small nuclear reactor for supplemental power, so that the PCIE slot isn't overloaded.

But meh, I still want one of these:

bitchin.jpg

Last edited:
It also comes with a small nuclear reactor for supplemental power, so that the PCIE slot isn't overloaded.

But meh, I still want one of these:

bitchin.jpg

What the! That thing is real?!!! No way lol. Nostalgia overload!

Heatpipes, more cooler density and mass at the empty area, single blower fan?

Silent cooling, because small fan = small noise. Remember kids, the higher the RPM, the higher the pitch of the noise will be, so eventually the fan will go outside of our and our pets' hearing range and be totally silent. At the same time, the amount of air that the fan will be moving will be huuuuge.

I see the bad stickers, junky plastic and dollar store red guy is still around at AMD, they must be throwing him a bone until retirement. RRR edition?

I don't get the point of adding more fans when it seems like all graphics cards lately have only half a slot for venting out.... Ridiculous. You only need 3 display ports on top, not 6 out of one fucking card...
Long ago me and my friend built opposite systems. My nvidia intel system is still going strong and overclocked since 2010 on air cooling only, with dual 480's. One fan in each card, but they output the heat great, and the 480 has a giant metal heatsink standard [compared to plastic covered 580s and whatever else is happening now, i still haven't upgraded for lack of need until i build a VR rig ;].

My buddy ,however, got these ultra MSI pre-overclocked cards with triple fans and half a vent along with his 6 core AMD processor... the airflow barely trickled out the back of his case with the fans maxed. His system decayed and was sold part by part due to overheating issues causing it to crash. Was also always funny because he spent more on his system, which had so much better specs, and come release day on top notch games his drivers ate shit compared to Nvidias as well.

TLDR : What is this half a vent shit for graphics cards nowadays?!! Next rig i buy i assume I'm going to have to water cool it.

Back