AMD Confirms Multiple Variants of Vega 10 GPU

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Slides from AMD reveal that there are at least three variants of Vega 10 GPU packages in existence. While the differences appear to be lesser than a millimeter, the inconsistencies are making it difficult for board partners and already causing production issues.

The variants come from different factories that equip Vega 10 with different memory chips. The main difference is lack of molding on the non-resin variant. These chips are reportedly harder to use for custom designs as the GPU is 40 μm higher than HBM2 modules. It’s also worth noting that molded and unmolded design have 0.1 mm difference in GPU height. Which is actually much bigger issue than it may sound. If that wasn’t enough, there’s also (allegedly) a fourth resin variant strictly for RX Vega 56.

Nice cover story to hide the fact there are at least 3-4 different HBM models from different manufacturers, with different speeds and voltages...

If only they had you on their production team :p
They aren't that stupid. :)
I'm sure this wasn't in their plan. They have real production issues and figured it could be solved through multiple manufacturers. Too bad the end result is different.
Glad I'm not an AIB cooler designer right now.

Is this like those RX480's that didn't care about the pcie wattage specification?

Is this like those RX480's that didn't care about the pcie wattage specification?
No. There is no specification saying what the physical layout of the chips on a pci-e add on card should be. This may not even be a problem, we'll see. It's definitely an irritation for AMD's partners.

If the AIBs can lock in to one supplier of parts then they can design a single cooler for their cards. If not, well, they'll have to make 3 different coolers for the 3 different layouts. Which sucks. Not to mention the aftermarket water cooler manufacturers...

WHAT ??? so we get diff ram and some cards will rock .. some will suck .. this has to be an AMD joke ..glad i bought a GTX card and went intel again

Last edited:
Is there really anything about the Vega launch that doesn't add to the trash fire?

And I thought silent revisions to reference pcb's were the worst issue with AMD cards and waterblocks!

I think I will wait for the second gen of boards to consider moving away from Nvidia. I really want some healthy competition form AMD on this front as Nvidia needs to be brought down a rung, their CPU offerings look promising but this manufacturing differences issue shows they dont have their shit together just yet.

What I am confused about is their diagrams clearly show the GPU die being taller. Not showing that the cache/memory is taller/shorter. Which if the memory was shorter/taller, that would make more sense with the different vendors being involved with having memory being sourced.

So, this seems like they are getting their actual GPUs created from more then one place, which is causing the height differences?

This has me worried about the mating between my blocks and the pair of VEGA 56s I am getting on Monday. I simply cannot deal with a reference air cooler (have an extreme sensitivity to certain sound profiles thanks to the chronic migraine I suffer from) so if the blocks don't mate correctly they will have to sit in the box until it gets resolved some how. :(

This has me worried about the mating between my blocks and the pair of VEGA 56s I am getting on Monday. I simply cannot deal with a reference air cooler (have an extreme sensitivity to certain sound profiles thanks to the chronic migraine I suffer from) so if the blocks don't mate correctly they will have to sit in the box until it gets resolved some how. :(

I think this should be an issue really given the pretty low tolerances regular computer parts have.
0.1 mm in total package height might slightly affect the fit over the waterblock but even the bow of the PCB itself would be more of an issue.
The 40µm difference in height between the 2 dies is negligible. 0.04mm?!! That's nothing..

Back