AMD confirms 7nm Radeon RX Vega

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by _mockingbird, Jun 5, 2018.

1. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

2. Maddness

Maddness Gawd

It would be truly awesome to have a gaming version release late this year or early next year. Really looking forward to seeing this play out.

3. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Depending on what they can fix as opposed to can not fix. HBM2 would still mean that were prolly going to pay a premium price. This is not a problem as long as the performance is there.

4. ACC

ACC n00bie

I don't think we'll see 7nm permeate throughout the entire product stack until Nvidia launches new cards. The RX 580 (RX 480) is decently competitive with GTX 1060 6GB and the RX VEGA 56 is decent enough albeit power hungrier vs GTX 1070 / GTX 1070 Ti / GTX 1080.

Due to the ROP limitation of VEGA, the VEGA64 doesn't perform massively better than VEGA 56 , much like Fury vs Fury X, R9 390 vs R9 390X (aka R9 290 vs R9 290X) or HD 7950 vs HD 7970 (aka R9 280 vs R9 280X).

Incidentally, 7nm is supposed to be up to 40% faster vs 14nm which is more than the performance deficit of RX VEGA 64 vs GTX 1080 TI. (https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ilability-40-improved-performance-14nm-finfet , https://www.anandtech.com/show/1155...nm-plans-three-generations-700-mm-hvm-in-2018)

Videocardz claims a 40% die size reduction on the VEGA on Radeon Instinct shown at Computex: https://videocardz.com/76487/amds-7nm-vega-is-much-smaller-than-14nm-vega

What I suspect is we'll finally see a GTX 1080 TI / GTX TITAN XP competitor based on Radeon Instinct that won't be cheap (think RX VEGA Frontier edition) with lower VRAM instead of 32GB, looser power limit, and higher clocks. I'm not sure it will compete with TITAN V , but provided that the TITAN V is $3K and is ~ 25% faster than TITAN XP only in best cases it might not need to be competing with TITAN V.

At worst it'll be a VEGA 64 + VEGA 56 successor with lower power & die size.

At best we'll probably see the more power hungry cards get to 7nm first, with card consuming < 180W getting lower priority unless a compute (Radeon Instinct), mobile (not really since VEGA is on APUs), or workstation (Radeon Pro) chip is made prior to that to be salvaged for "gaming".

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. hurleybird

hurleybird [H]Lite

My assumption is that they intend to launch a Vega 20 gaming SKU, but depending on what Nvidia decides to do (eg. launch a new generation where Vega 20 can't even compete with 1170) there may not be a good place in the market for one. In other words, AMD isn't promising a gaming card because to do so could box them into a poor position.

6. _mockingbird

_mockingbird Gawd

That's exactly what it is.

AMD/RTG is taking a wait and see approach.

7. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

I highly doubt it. 7nm is fresh, you have early silicon. They probably want to ease in to heavy production and it may not be ready for mass production for another 6-12 months. If AMD could bring vega 64 speed at half the power and 35% more clock speed as they are stating the shrink allows them to do from 14nm. I highly doubt they would hold it back. Problem here is they need to wait until process is mature and by that time Navi might be ready so they can actually decide what they need to do. If Navi has architectural improvements + clock speed and thats what they need to compete with nvidia they will go that route. If they can mass produce vega and they can get 60-70% more performance at more juice from 7nm and its enough to compete with nvidia may be they do that. But purely it is because of how fresh 7nm is. I don't think they can mass produce it at quantities they would need just yet.

N4CR and DedEmbryonicCe11 like this.
  8. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Awesome! Even more cards to be out of stock and triple their MSRP.

9. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

A fully 64CU chip running at 1.9-2.1Ghz sustained would eat easily meet or exceed a 1080Ti...Couple that with a renewed push of 3440x1440P/4K FreeSync 2 panels and AMD will have a solid offering and grab market and mind share.

Zuul and N4CR like this.
  10. johnnysd

johnnysd [H]Lite

I think it could be a pretty compelling product if priced correctly.

Zuul likes this.
  11. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

7nm would be awesome for the RX Vega 56 Nano, maybe even allow for a RX Vega 64 Nano...?!?

12. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

That's the thing. That sort of performance per watt is also grounds for a terrific mining card... And you know what that means ...