AMD Computex 2019 Livestream

Whoever is handling the camera and these graphics sucks. They're not showing a lot of stuff clearly on stream.

Ryzen + NAVI beat i9-9900K + 2080 ti? In 3D Mark which doesn't excite me.

using a none HT chip for comparison? Really.

Yeah the Cinebench comparison was a farce which I don't get why they did considering the 3800x keeps up with 9900K. It also explains why Intel is releasing the 9900KS at 5 Ghz all core since it will probably still come out on top.

AMD Ryzen 9. 3900X. 4.6GHz boost. 12 cores 24 threads

Core i9-9920X vs AMD Ryzen 9. 38 seconds vs 32 seconds for Blender.

Reactions: blkt
like this
i'd like to see the dies of the 3700 and 3900; if the 3700 has only a single chiplet + controller, it may be better offering than the 3900.

but again, lets wait for actual benchmarks.

overall good presentation from AMD imho. Only cringey thing was the Acer guy to me and that non HT blender demo. I'm pretty excited and feel quite confident that I'll get some value from my recently purchase 2700x but will be very happy with the upgrade to the 3900 in a few months. Anyone wanna 2700x for $150 in 2 months? :)

overall good presentation from AMD imho. Only cringey thing was the Acer guy to me and that non HT blender demo. I'm pretty excited and feel quite confident that I'll get some value from my recently purchase 2700x but will be very happy with the upgrade to the 3900 in a few months. Anyone wanna 2700x for $150 in 2 months? :)
be lucky to get 100 me thinks

Well guess my 1600 is still going to see action until the OC reports come in for these chips. Maybe, just maybe, they can be nudged towards 5ghz.

so the 16 core part was a figment of the imagination?
No, definitly wasn't. They just didn't want to cannibalize their TR platform entry point at this moment. They were capable of pushing it out like that.

be lucky to get 100 me thinks

Nah, in 2 months the 2700x will probably go for $200 new i bet. Mostly since the 3700x will be at $329. Gonna be some R5-2600x people wanting upgrades and $150 will be pretty nice. Worst case scenario I just throw it in my daughters machine and sell her 1700x for $50 :)

So basically we can get 9900k performance with a 399 dollar CPU or +5% or higher in lower tier categories like 9700k and below at a lower TDP?

The Ryzen 9 is definitely a game changer for HEDT though. I guarantee they have that rumored 16c/32t part on standby if needed.

Given Intels inability to get to 10-7nm I think AMD might have the performance crown for awhile. I don’t know how Intel expects to launch a new 9900KS with 5Ghz all cores wtf will they use to cool that and what’s the TDP?

so the 16 core part was a figment of the imagination?

I was wondering about that one. I'm betting we'll see it later; in addition to competing with TR, AMD is going to have to be able to respond to Intel's releases as well. The game must be played :)

No, but there has been long standing speculation that it would release down the line. There's no real need for them to release it right now.

I think it's the smarter move from AMD to release a 12 core imho. Just enough for what feels like an upgrade worth the 66% increase in price, but not enough to make people who buy your more mainstream $329 product think they are getting shafted. As much as power users feel like we matter to the bottom line, it's the $200 spenders that make companies money. If AMD immediately release a 16 core chip, it basically would tell their $329 users they are the new "Average" and possibly devalue your lower tier products. The Ryzen Five would become the new 3. Could bite them in the butt.

Given Intels inability to get to 10-7nm I think AMD might have the performance crown for awhile. I don’t know how Intel expects to launch a new 9900KS with 5Ghz all cores wtf will they use to cool that and what’s the TDP?

Intel is already shipping 10nm, and it's a better process than TSMC's 7nm, though TSMC appears to have gotten the volume out first.

As for the 9900KS- if it's well-binned, then the overall requirements won't change. Most are going to be running them with 240mm/280mm/360mm AIOs which can handle the heat without a problem.

I think it's the smarter move from AMD to release a 12 core imho. Just enough for what feels like an upgrade worth the 66% increase in price, but not enough to make people who buy your more mainstream $329 product think they are getting shafted. As much as power users feel like we matter to the bottom line, it's the $200 spenders that make companies money. If AMD immediately release a 16 core chip, it basically would tell their $329 users they are the new "Average". Could bite them in the butt.

It would be in an entirely different category though and wouldn’t be for gamers. The clocks would be lower I’d imagine.

Intel is already shipping 10nm, and it's a better process than TSMC's 7nm, though TSMC appears to have gotten the volume out first.

As for the 9900KS- if it's well-binned, then the overall requirements won't change. Most are going to be running them with 240mm/280mm/360mm AIOs which can handle the heat without a problem.

a little off topic, but is the heat really that bad on the i9-9900k? (Asking like a complete noob). I have a air cooler on my 5960x with a 4.5 all core oc and it really doesn't have much thermal issues. I don't own a 1151 chip that does that much tdp though, but I've heard people talking about the heat issue like it's a problem.

It would be in an entirely different category though and wouldn’t be for gamers. The clocks would be lower I’d imagine.

I think it'd still be better for gamers than Threadripper, really much more balanced for consumer workloads and platform pricing. As much as I appreciate single-core performance, I do understand when there's 'enough' for a particular job.

I'm very happy that AMD has finally caught up in ST performance. If reviewers show that the new Ryzen 7 series matches or beats out Intel 9900k single threaded performance by 1-3% as AMD claims there's really little reason to buy Intel. Sure the crazy rumors of 5GHz speeds didn't come to pass but it seems like the 15% IPC gain made up for it.

Reactions: blkt
like this
Back