AMD Cinebench Benchmark Demo at CES 2019 Buries the Current Intel Lineup

Yeah the accent kills me sometimes but still interesting..
The accent gave me half a chub. The self-aggrandizement is what killed it.

Still, this was some fun speculation and the points made are valid ones. A midrange SKU matching a 9900K at 65W and under $200? That would be a crazy good value. I'm super excited to see how the rest of the lineup turns out, though I am curious about what those interconnects do to latency.

I appreciated the methods he went through to determine that they used a midrange 65 watt tdp part to beat a 9900k costing twice as much. I look forward to buying a slightly higher range part and blowing away my current 8700K.

yeah, not listening to him anymore. 0/??? things were true.
He was pretty much spot on regarding his Ryzen 3 predictions.

Just because he got the whole AMD didn't release Ryzen 3x000 CPUS or mention Navi at CES, doesn't mean what he said still won't come to pass. How many predictions did Nostradamus miss? :)
He never said Ryzen 3 would be released at CES.

We know for sure from the demo AMD showed in CES that the non-X Ryzen with a 70W cpu is equal for multithreading apps with the best Intel has with a 130W cpu. And by that we can safely assume that there will come an X model of this CPU with at least 10-15% higher frequency that will win the i9 in multithreading and will match or even surpass it in light-threaded apps like games. And latency will almost surely be less than what Zen had with this IO die. As for prices, I don't think AMD will heavily discount the CPUs that will match or win over the i9 until Intel is forced to lower their price. Maybe $50 less for the X model and 150 for the non-X. But there will be the 6C/12T ones for much less that will be more than enough for gamers and casual PC owners. My 5 cents.

Just because he got the whole AMD didn't release Ryzen 3x000 CPUS or mention Navi at CES, doesn't mean what he said still won't come to pass. How many predictions did Nostradamus miss? :)
Nostradamus is the father of astrology. Spew ambiguous bullshit, and leave it to people to distort reality enough to fit some of it. Predicting actual market events and product specifications is a tad more grounded than that. It's not fortune telling, it is educated guessing.

Wasn't everyone expecting this NOT to be a top model though? I mean 8 cores? That had me thinking this will probably be the like the $299 ~ $329 SKU :)

If AMD can roughly match Intel's IPC now and get clocks to about similar levels or ~95% of it and offer much lower power consumption that would be a huge win especially if they keep up that aggressive pricing which definitely will eat some of Intel customers.

Last edited:
The salt is pretty clear on this forum. Bunch of fanboys that overpay for hardware and have to justify it with flawed reasoning. Pay your $500 for an extra 5 fps. Everyone needs to stop pushing their buyer's remorse on all of us that just want to enjoy new tech and see what every company has to offer.
I still take anything with AMD with a grain of salt because I believed them when they said Bulldozer would be great, and then learned how horribly wrong that was. Ever since then, I've only believed what AMD was selling when I saw it.

That being said, this demo says a LOT about the new processor. It's obvious it's going to be up to 16 cores, by the packaging. It's obvious it matches the 9900k with just 8 cores, by the benchmark they showed. It's obvious that this is very pre-production hardware, and will likely get faster before it hits the streets. They demonstrated that if Intel doesn't have something new by the middle of this year, AMD is going to be all over them. It's not just words, but actually proved facts.

While Bulldozer was a massive disappointment, Ryzen has not failed to deliver so far. They didn't make it to the top with the first gen, but they certainly spurred Intel to respond. The second gen may have only been the top for a short while, but it was at the top. This is when they finally top Intel, and will stay there at least for a little while.

We know for sure from the demo AMD showed in CES that the non-X Ryzen with a 70W cpu is equal for multithreading apps with the best Intel has with a 130W cpu. And by that we can safely assume that there will come an X model of this CPU with at least 10-15% higher frequency that will win the i9 in multithreading and will match or even surpass it in light-threaded apps like games. And latency will almost surely be less than what Zen had with this IO die. As for prices, I don't think AMD will heavily discount the CPUs that will match or win over the i9 until Intel is forced to lower their price. Maybe $50 less for the X model and 150 for the non-X. But there will be the 6C/12T ones for much less that will be more than enough for gamers and casual PC owners. My 5 cents.

We also know for sure 8 core is not what they are topping out at and that means that a second chipset is an option making 16 cores the max possible.

AdoredTV makes two kind of predictions, his own, and those he copies/stoles from elsewhere. The second kind of predictions are usually correct, because aren't made by him. The first kind are plain wrong and the reason why he has been changing his nickname during last decade. AdoredTV is his four identity?

Last edited:
When he isn't busy making broad speculations, he's merely repeating what we already know.

As soon as I heard this guy's voice, I closed it.

He copied/stoled the chiplet leak from SA Demerjian. Before AdoredTV published his videos, ppl as K. H. Chia was drawing detailed technical figures about what was coming for Zen2

dr3ozycvsaaecyk-jpg.jpg

So I find funny people in lots of forums pretends now that AdoredTV leaked all and predicted all. When he simply copied/stole info from elsewhere.

Last edited:
Chiplet design ... Check.
14 nm IO Dye ... Check

That info was known before AdoredTV 'leaks'. Moreover, after he copied/stole the leaks from elsewhere. AdoredTV make a new video where he said us that his 'sources' claimed that desktop was different than server, that desktop was single die, not chiplets. He even invented a history about why desktop wasn't using chiplets.

Up to 2 Zen 2 Cores ... Check.

???

There exist a 65W 8C/16T 3.6/4.4 Product ... Quasi Check (Turned out to be 3.7/4.5, oh noez)

Known for a while. The codename is AMD 5D0108BBM8SH2_37 with 3.7GHz being the base clock.

More than 8 cores ... Quasi Check (see Lisa Su's response).

Also known for a while. In late 2017 CanardPC leaked that Rome was 64C. Since then we have been expecting more than 8C for AM4. I even offered a simple reasoning. If there is enough room to fit 64 Zen2 cores in the SP3 socket, then there are enough room to fit 16 Zen2 cores in the AM4 socket.

A 12C Zen2 model for AM4 was also leaked time ago. So we don't need AdoredTV, nor even Lisa Su, to know that there is more than 8 cores for AM4.

The 12C sample is AMD 1D1212BGMCWH2.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
"AMD's next architecture rumored to catch up with Intel's last architecture!"

And people are excited here, as if there isn't another Intel architecture also on the way.

And people are excited here, as if there isn't another Intel architecture also on the way.

While I agree to an extent, that AMD is almost always comparing themselves to year old Intel chips, I think a big difference is the price each time.

The power consumption argument everyone here seems to be missing is that every time AMD releases a product, whether it's a CPU or GPU, it always takes an insane amount of power and that's allllll we ever hear during discussions here. They release a product with half the TDP and we get "who cares? It's only pennies".

If either crowd was consistent, maybe there would be decent discussions around here.

Of course there is another Intel architecture on the way. Even better than just AMD dominating Intel in my opinion. I want the brutal competition of years past to come back. Thats good for all of us.

i9-9900k is not last architecture. CofeeLake is identical to Skylake-client. The last architecture is Skylake-server. And Cascade-Lake is shipping.

Also Intel demoed Icelake client at CES. And 10nm brings a huge power reduction where it really matters: mobile, not in high-performance desktop.

AMD's new midrange chip beats Intel's top dog at half the price and TDP. That's bound to get everyone excited except Intel shills.

Did I miss the cost or is it a reasonable estimate based on past releases? Just curious. I rarely have the time to research like I used to.

They release a product with half the TDP and we get "who cares? It's only pennies".

AMD's power problems are generally that they take more power for the same performance. Here, they're lower, but only using a new node while Intel is on the old. AMD isn't being criticised unfairly; it's the 'beats Intel' proclamation that is being criticized given the unequal comparison. Intel has a node update with an arch update comng too.

AMD's new midrange chip beats Intel's top dog at half the price and TDP. That's bound to get everyone excited except Intel shills.

It's being declared 'midrange' solely on the idea that they have higher core-count SKUs in the works that will be priced similarly to their current high-end that have yet to be revealed.

And this is silly, given that we don't know where AMD is going with their potential 12- and 16-core desktop parts. We don't know when they are releasing them, hell, if they are releasing them, what the motherboard requirements will be, and we definitely don't know where they'll be positioning them.

So it's fair to make this comparison in the context of current high-end CPUs. Calling the AMD part 'mid-range' because AMD is potentially pushing more cores into consumer sockets- something Intel can do too!- doesn't pass the sniff test.

Who isn't paying attention? You? All you have to do is look to the past my friend. Here, I'll help you.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4028vs3958

People are not "salty" ... they are "skeptical" .... big difference between the two.

We heard the same shit with Zen + about AMD "mopping" the floor with Intel.

And who really gives an actual fk about "power savings" .. Listen, if I own a Lambo, I'm gonna put in $4 a gallon high octane fuel and expect to get 5 miles a gallon. I doubt seriously kids are so concerned with saving a few pennies here and there.

But, I have my money ready. I'm a fan for performance, not a brand name.

Let's see how this thing overclocks and benches ...

You keep talking about power saving like its pennies and its not. I pay 14 cents per KHW and 100w works out to about $10 per month , So in this direct comparison at my power rate between 9900k and what was shown we are talking $70-80 per year easy. This over 3+ years adds up to alot of value. Some folks pay over twice what i do in power and some of us like myself run multiple systems.

Edit: granted i run things 24/7 and most folks don't but you get my idea

While I agree to an extent, that AMD is almost always comparing themselves to year old Intel chips, I think a big difference is the price each time.

The power consumption argument everyone here seems to be missing is that every time AMD releases a product, whether it's a CPU or GPU, it always takes an insane amount of power and that's allllll we ever hear during discussions here. They release a product with half the TDP and we get "who cares? It's only pennies".

If either crowd was consistent, maybe there would be decent discussions around here.

The rule to rationalize this is very simple. If it is good for AMD then it matters, if it bad for AMD then it is useless.

When AMD lacked in IPC, the argument from some people was that IPC was a marketing term invented by Intel (LOL). Now that AMD has good IPC, and Zen2 brings IPC improvements, no more IPC is a marketing gimmick for that people.

When AMD released those 220W Piledriver and power consumption raised to the moon, the argument was that power was irrelevant for high-performance desktop. Now 7nm Ryzen saving ~50W from a ~180W build is the biggest news at CES! LOL

And the same happens with the rest. I still remember when people tried to convince me that SMT was bad technology... when AMD lacked SMT.

You keep talking about power saving like its pennies and its not. I pay 14 cents per KHW and 100w works out to about $10 per month , So in this direct comparison at my power rate between 9900k and what was shown we are talking $70-80 per year easy. This over 3+ years adds up to alot of value. Some folks pay over twice what i do in power and some of us like myself run multiple systems.

Edit: granted i run things 24/7 and most folks don't but you get my idea

Yeah, with what we do, power matters.

Here we go again ............

No, Zen 2 or 3 is not going to beat Intel. LOL.

You guys eat this core shit up like candy.

Who cares about cores and productivity or power savings? You're all gamers lol ....

But if I am wrong and I hope I am and the new AMD is faster and cheaper ... I'm in baby.

Here we go again ............

No, Zen 2 or 3 is not going to beat Intel. LOL.

You guys eat this core shit up like candy.

Who cares about cores and productivity or power savings? You're all gamers lol ....

But if I am wrong and I hope I am and the new AMD is faster and cheaper ... I'm in baby.

We aren't all gamers.

He was right on many of the items, not everything for sure, but i would never bet on speculation to be 100% ever. Made some good educated guesses and he reads between the lines on a lot of things to pull more information, he has a few sources of info to draw from and im sure he will re-evaluate those sources now that new info has come to light. Ive subbed his channel, dont care about the accent and find the information presented interesting, always taken with a healthy dose of salt, but interesting nonetheless.

Performance looks pretty great thus far, with CB... im sure this is AMD in the best light. Gaming wont be as quick as the 9900k id imagine, due to the MCM setup and the inherent latency penalties. Cooling these chips is going to be nice though, nice and spread out across that IHS with lower current draw. Probably most interesting will be price, as that package is more expensive to manufacturer so im guessing we will see a small price bump across the lineup.

Im interested what the clocks reach when pushed under good cooling. Perhaps moving many things to the I/O Die will allow the cores to hit that magic 5.0, and having the memory controller at a more mature node away from the cores will allow it to scale higher! At any rate, love that AMD is pushing the envelope and innovating, its made desktop CPU's interesting again! Looking forward to the next 5 months as hard information begins to trickle out.

Off topic, I didnt realize there were so many folks on here that cant look past the accent and see the message. Seems a little close minded, there are computer enthusiasts over much of the world. You expect them all to speak 'Murican english? get over yourselves...

Off topic, I didnt realize there were so many folks on here that cant look past the accent and see the message. Seems a little close minded, there are computer enthusiasts over much of the world. You expect them all to speak 'Murican english? get over yourselves...

Sometimes it's hard to concentrate on the message when something else is drawing your attention away. To you it's not an issue, to others it might be.

I watched one video of his that was linked here a few weeks ago. Because of it I didn't watch this one. Which is one of the reasons I haven't argued for or against any of his points.

There are computer enthusiasts the world over and I've been told that some of them don't even speak English, if the "message" is important it should be written down and not in an annoying time wasting youtubes. Insert "Ain't nobody got time for that" meme.
If you want a following in the English speaking world, then speak understandable English or as you put it 'Murican.
imho

Last edited:
I'm Danish and i understand him perfectly well, i even find him easier to understand than most other English speaking people.
A video is also fine for me as i often have something else going on on my desktop at the same time.

He copied/stoled the chiplet leak from SA Demerjian. Before AdoredTV published his videos, ppl as K. H. Chia was drawing detailed technical figures about what was coming for Zen2

View attachment 134546

So I find funny people in lots of forums pretends now that AdoredTV leaked all and predicted all. When he simply copied/stole info from elsewhere.

Honestly that's what most of his vids are, a compilation of info from other sites slapped into one vid and his spin put onto it.

I'm not even entirely sure how he got into the tech news\rumours\journalism thing. if you look back in his youtube vids he used to be a very unsuccessful "lets play" content creator, then he made a vid on amd's new control panel which got a lot of views, done a few more low view lets play vids, then he basically went all out on tech suddenly having access to "sources" etc. o_O

Alright, I'm curious...where did you hear officially that Zen2 ryzen would have two chiplets and an IO die before CES? Or the frequency it'll have, or the TDP? Yes, he speculates, and he summarizes. He takes leaks, and official information, and makes educated guess about other specifications of the product. Though I guess if you can't understand that you wouldn't be interested in what he says, regardless of what he's talking about.

(Edit: somehow missed the second half of what you wrote. I stand by what I said, though it doesn't apply to you)

I got it from the same source he scoured the internet for, the AMD reddit page.

First of all, it's "VERY" important that any potential customer of these AMD chips should absolutely know that AMD uses a multi chip setup with these CPU's .... so the I/O ... the interconnects .. the data pathways between these chips are slower than Intel. There is an inherent latency that AMD faces ... now, these numbers are very low but much higher than Intel. This is why Intel still beats AMD in many benchmarks. Especially games. In fact, nearly all games.

Will AMD beat Intel in "all" performance metrics? Possibly, eventually, maybe sooner than we all think. Who knows. Once that happens, Intel will really be in serious trouble. I don't think that's going to happen with the Zen 2 but, we will have to wait and see.

Also, 99% of the people out there using a PC use their PC's for Gaming, Web, Email. Music and Movies. Less than 1% use productivity apps other than occasionally.

Sadly, there are many kids, customers that give up gaming performance for productivity because they are sold on "cores." ... Cores should never ever be the first thing you consider in a purchase. Should it be a top consideration? Absolutely. But not the deciding factor.

When I see people talking about cores, and power savings, to me it feels like they are attempting to take a part, a part proven to have less performance than it's competitor and artificially elevate it in regards to it's performance. While it's true that power savings are important, we are literally talking about saving pennies month to month. Cores, if you're honestly truly into productivity, like that's all you really do then AMD is absolutely the best CPU for you. For the vast vast majority ... real true performance is where you want to be.

Wow so you already have tested Zen 2 huh?
Id take a fx 8350 over a intel dual core, the AMD has a longer useful lifespan.
Some people also have budgets. I had the choice between a i5 quad or a 1700, 4 threads vs 16 threads, simple decision if you ask me. Also AM4 vs intel's socket (Can't rememebr which one they're on, 1151 was it? they change too often.)
The 1700's useful lifespan will be far longer than a i5 quad, not to mention AM4's advantage in longevity. For people that keep they're crap for a a while the AM4 platform is killing it!
I like how I can drop in a 16 core 32 thread if I wanted to. Can't do that if I bought Intel.
If money is no object, I can understand, but at that point I would want a 9900k, whatever intels top HEDT chip is, a 2990wx, and AM4's top chip, and I'm not OCD about having the top FPS as possible. 144 fps vs 160 fps (with the games I play), whoo hoo my montitor is only a 1080p 144hz anyways.
But for most, people have budgets.

Sometimes it's hard to concentrate on the message when something else is drawing your attention away. To you it's not an issue, to others it might be.

I watched one video of his that was linked here a few weeks ago. Because of it I didn't watch this one. Which is one of the reasons I haven't argued for or against any of his points.

I get that it could be slightly distracting, but totally understandable if you listen. Im not sure how folks cant comprehend what hes saying, so basically who gives a shit what he sounds like as long as the overall message is clear. I get that folks like other mediums of information as in articles, but this is what works for him. Listening to him speak is key here, perhaps not looking at your phone as well or doing 5 other things at the same time. The accent takes a little bit more to take it all in, an active listen rather than a passive so to speak.

Anyways, back on topic...We are in for a sweet bit of competition here in 2019-2020. Ryzen 2 will at the very least, level the playing field and looks poised to steal the overall performance crown. Looking forward to being a PC hardware enthusiast again, lots of change inbound!

Back