AMD CEO Lisa Su rumored to leave, eyeing CEO role at IBM

Status
Not open for further replies.
She straight up denied the rumor, did not pussy foot around nor ignore it. But hey, it is AMD so........

Also, not sure when Wccftech became your go to source so......

Yet, post #8… should've put this thread into a sub-forum for rumors. It remained because moderators decide. Which is disheartening in the day & age of fake news and gossip media. I was hoping for someone to cut out the static/noise.

She is a CEO, her tweets matter. And should stand on their own.

I would be incredibly surprised if she left anytime soon. I of course would not say never, but I don't think this one is on the mark.

She's widely regarded as being very effective in this role, is being well compensated, and she actually is the type that likes to make a difference in this exact area.

Reactions: blkt
like this
Lisa Su: Hey I think I'll leave when my company is in the process of kicking the shit out of its main competitor. Because who wants to win anyway?

Winning is for losers.

This is [H], which is predominately against AMD, would you expect any less? :)

Very interesting perception.

I find [H] largely against Intel and Nvidia, and would prefer instead to see an even accounting of each.

And if AMDs R&D investments are going to start tapering off their product releases- well, now's the time for Dr. Su to jump. AMD is going to be relying on outside fabs to push the laws of physics in order to keep improving their processors, and that's going to be a tall order with Intel and Nvidia for competition.

So here is what I find interesting.

Do enough research, connect a few dots, and you know:

a) Intel pays people to pretend to be everyday normal people on tech forums in order to influence people.

b) There has been a shit ton of FUD being spread about AMD ever since Ryzen 3 launch and AMD just ripping a whole ton of market share from Intel

c) the fake Lisa su article came 24h before the launch of rome, which blows away the current Intel offering

And then all of a sudden, some people rush in and say that even though it's easy to connect the dots we are all just imagining it, which leads me to my fourth point:

d) Intel has been found guilty in a court of law trying all sorts of dirty tricks against AMD before.

So not only is it easy to connect the dots, Intel has a history of dirty, underhanded, and even illegal tactics.

At this point I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who tries to justify that or else tell everyone to dismiss it. Basically giving them the side eye and ask them " you on their payroll?"

a) Intel pays people to pretend to be everyday normal people on tech forums in order to influence people.

b) There has been a shit ton of FUD being spread about AMD ever since Ryzen 3 launch and AMD just ripping a whole ton of market share from Intel

c) the fake Lisa su article came 24h before the launch of rome, which blows away the current Intel offering

And then all of a sudden, some people rush in and say that even though it's easy to connect the dots we are all just imagining it, which leads me to my fourth point:

d) Intel has been found guilty in a court of law trying all sorts of dirty tricks against AMD before.

So not only is it easy to connect the dots, Intel has a history of dirty, underhanded, and even illegal tactics.

At this point I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who tries to justify that or else tell everyone to dismiss it. Basically giving them the side eye and ask them " you on their payroll?"

I'd be very surprised if all companies didnt do this eact thing.

Someone basically victim blaming a company that was much smaller than Intel does give the astroturfing vibes since ages ago Zion Halcyon.

(I'm not talking of you of course)

Cite it.

If it's been on the [H], it's been called out. I believe that we've been extremely fair to AMD here.

So this rumor was Intel-sourced, and not just some random troll?

Cite it.

Well, apparently, you are, per Dr. Su.

Tricks that AMD would just as willingly pull, because this is business.

And since you're using this argument to underpin all your other points, cite the connection.

At this point I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who tries to justify that or else tell everyone to dismiss it.

We're talking about it here at the [H], so we're not dismissing it- but since you throw out 'anyone', I'd like to see specifically who you are describing along with what specific evidence you believe proves your claim.

Basically giving them the side eye and ask them " you on their payroll?"

Don't beat around the bush- if you believe that someone is on a company's payroll without disclosing it as we do have company reps stop in from time to time that clearly identify themselves, that's an accusation that should be taken seriously by the moderators. Have you provided moderators with the details of your claim yet?

Very interesting perception.

I find [H] largely against Intel and Nvidia, and would prefer instead to see an even accounting of each.

And if AMDs R&D investments are going to start tapering off their product releases- well, now's the time for Dr. Su to jump. AMD is going to be relying on outside fabs to push the laws of physics in order to keep improving their processors, and that's going to be a tall order with Intel and Nvidia for competition.
Doesn't Nvidia rely on outside fabs too? Samsung? Maybe you were only meaning this against Intel who still has their own fabs? I'm hoping with their increased revenues they can at least maintain if not expand their R&D budget, but that's not my call obviously.

Doesn't Nvidia rely on outside fabs too? Samsung? Maybe you were only meaning this against Intel who still has their own fabs? I'm hoping with their increased revenues they can at least maintain if not expand their R&D budget, but that's not my call obviously.

They do!

But Nvidia manufactures at TSMC and Samsung today, and they're a larger company with more buying power specifically for GPUs. For TSMC, allocating more fab resources to AMD discrete GPUs is still a gamble versus Nvidia regardless of what else AMD is doing.

What I find tedious is how so many on these forums fall victim to believing, or leaping to pure flights of fancy with zero evidence. Both positive (the AMD $250 RTX 2070 killer) and negative (Lisa Su leaving AMD). Not to mention the utterly fabricated conspiracy theory nonsense (Intel started X rumor to mess with AMD).

It's not like CEOs have never gone on the record to say they're not leaving anytime soon only to turn around and announce their resignation a few months later. They kinda have to since they're obligated to protect shareholder value, and part of that is minimizing uncertainty. A CEO possibly leaving with no known path forward will hurt value over a longer period of time than a CEO actually leaving with a plan and a replacement in place.

Somewhat recent example:
2017-09-05: HPE’s Meg Whitman responds to reports she was aiming for Uber CEO job: ‘I actually am not going anywhere’
I’ve dedicated the last six years of my life to this company, and there is more work to do. And I’m here to make this company successful, and I’m excited about the new strategy. So lots more work to do, and I actually am not going anywhere.

2017-11-21:
Meg Whitman to leave role as CEO of Hewlett Packard Enterprise, shares tumble 6%
Now is the right time for Antonio and a new generation of leaders to take the reins of HPE. I have tremendous confidence that they will continue to build a great company that will thrive well into the future

Exactly.

Granted, Intel isn't the only company doing this on social media, and they're generally less rude than some of the other players (look around, Microsoft and Netflix are among the worst), but I'm intensely peeved by any company that engages in well-poisoning behavior to control the narrative on social media.

Tricks that AMD would just as willingly pull, because this is business.

Can you cite any examples of AMD engaging in any of the behaviors mentioned? How about any suspicious frivolous lawsuits or rumours that coincide with Intel product launches?

If the best you guys can come up with is a marketing campaign from 2013 where AMD/OEM's gave away some laptops to influencers on Facebook... that's pretty weak.

Exactly.

Granted, Intel isn't the only company doing this on social media, and they're generally less rude than some of the other players (look around, Microsoft and Netflix are among the worst), but I'm intensely peeved by any company that engages in well-poisoning behavior to control the narrative on social media.

Can you cite any examples of AMD engaging in any of the behaviors mentioned? How about any suspicious frivolous lawsuits or rumours that coincide with Intel product launches?

If the best you guys can come up with is a marketing campaign from 2013 where AMD/OEM's gave away some laptops to influencers on Facebook... that's pretty weak.

Nice quick edit...but your bluff was called...sorry it makes you angry, but those are the facts...they even had a point system and it was a lot bigger than "giving away a few laptops"...

It's not like CEOs have never gone on the record to say they're not leaving anytime soon only to turn around and announce their resignation a few months later. They kinda have to since they're obligated to protect shareholder value, and part of that is minimizing uncertainty. A CEO possibly leaving with no known path forward will hurt value over a longer period of time than a CEO actually leaving with a plan and a replacement in place.

The difference is that Whitman admitted at the time that she was involved in the Uber CEO search. It's just that one way or another that didn't work out:
However, in the same earnings call, Whitman did admit that she was at least enticed by the open CEO position at Uber after its former CEO Travis Kalanick stepped down in June. "There has been some press," she said. "Listen, I thought -- I was called in very late in the Uber search, and I thought it was a very interesting business model."

First and foremost, CEO's have to be honest about these kinds of disclosures. That supersedes the need to "protect shareholder value".

You can't outright lie to protect shareholder value, that is known as fraud
and the SEC takes that very seriously.

If she lies about this kind of stuff, when it comes up, then you aren't properly informing shareholder of negative news, that can later bite them when the news breaks, and they have recourse to sue.

If not for the increasing fantasy based thinking on this forum, Lisa Su's unequivocal, for the record, complete denial, should be case closed on this one.

But here it is, pages later, kept going by those that think their imaginings supersede practical reality.

Lisa Su will leave AMD at some point, but this IBM stuff is total fabrication, because it would be foolhardy at minimum, to lie about factual, material events that affect the company.

Exactly.

Yep. Whataboutism is actually a stock in trade for the paid online shill.

And I have a buddy who did this for a few months... He told me what to look for, and the patterns are easy to spot once you know what to look for.

"Whataboutism" is actually a key identifier. Why defend a position when you think an argument from the other side is silly in the first place?

So a dismissal followed by whataboutism or vice versa is a VERY good tell...

Nice quick edit...but your bluff was called...sorry it makes you angry, but those are the facts...they even had a point system and it was a lot bigger than "giving away a few laptops"...
False! Go read your article you gave. It's not what he is talking about, not even close. You are confusing marketing (a test run in india at that) that was open with full disclosure, with Intel's secret illegal tactics and payoffs. They are so different, there is no way to even come close to making them equal the same thing, no matter how you try to stretch it.

The funny part, is your article is from 2013, just 4 years after Intel settled a lawsuit with AMD and agreed to pay $1.25 billion to AMD, and under 3 years after settling with the FTC for Millions...

Last edited:
"Whataboutism" is actually a key identifier. Why defend a position when you think an argument from the other side is silly in the first place?

So a dismissal followed by whataboutism or vice versa is a VERY good tell...

1. Cites

2. This is what normal people do in discussions- and depending on the context, it's fair game.

The white-kniting for AMD is silly. They're a corporation. They do corporation stuff. Their goal is to make money. The CEO position may be special to The Faithful, but it's still just a job.

Get over it.

1. Cites

2. This is what normal people do in discussions- and depending on the context, it's fair game.

The white-kniting for AMD is silly. They're a corporation. They do corporation stuff. Their goal is to make money. The CEO position may be special to The Faithful, but it's still just a job.

Get over it.

I'd say people should take these "rumors" as a positive corollary sign rather than getting offended - that your CEO has gained a reputation for being a turnaround master, and is obviously very attractive to other companies. This is a good thing. Otherwise its the equivalent of getting upset because other guys are drooling at your hot girlfriend.

Last edited:
I think that's the best description I've heard of The Faithful so far!
In fairness, there's a type of "underdog PTSD" that may be at play here. People got so used to their brand being slapped and then backhanded for so long, that now that AMD is having a certifiable Renaissance, any critical analysis is perceived as just another attack on the hive.

Lisa Su is doing work. Everyone knows. She's got that "it" and now everyone wants a taste. Everyone except Raja, but that's another story.

Know who doesn't have IBM poaching rumors? Intel CEO. Nvidia CEO. Most people don't even know who Intel's CEO is. There's a reason for everything.

Last edited:
I think there's always a kernel of truth to rumors like this. Maybe after Zen, she's done all she can to secure her legacy at AMD and exiting on a high would be best for her career and legacy? It's certainly not a bad way to leave the company so when Intel does make a comeback (keep in mind they do have Jim Keller now), she can't be blamed. Besides, there's no way she could allow these rumors to persist as 1. It would catch the attention of the SEC for possible insider trading as a result of this rumor 2. AMD board + investors would be beyond pissed 3. It would kill AMDs public image. She's no Jen-Hsun, she's not married to AMD like he is to NVIDIA since she didn't start the company but rather took over a sinking ship. Her job seems to be almost complete here after Zen 2+/Zen 3 releases and their recent datacenter acquisitions. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see her exit AMD in the next year or so.

When she leaves, she'll probably do what Raja did, leave on a personal sabbatical to go take a much earned vacation with her family. Then 6 months later we'll hear about her joining her new company with a huge paycheck. CEOs are like movie stars, if they have huge blockbusters they get paid a shit ton more when joining new companies. It would be a bad career move on her part not to leave AMD on a massive high next year and get paid handsomely by IBM or whoever poaches her.

Last edited:
What about people who don't have a brand, and have a wallet to buy anything they need/want... and are just average 40 year old gamers..?

These people don't read websites..? Didn't grow up on building PC's..? Obvious nearly 90% of them don't sit on hard or gaming forums, they just build a rig every 5-7 years and continue to game. Gamers are not stupid and it only takes a few days to get up to date, with the new hardware standards (PCIe4.0 & M.2, etc), before they can start making logical choices. Yet so many illogical marketeers here...

Un-bias people can spot the bias ones a million miles away, because we have no stake in the game. I was an Nvidia buyer until RDNA was released and then I understood what took place. If I understand, then most of you "techies" understand too... and those who keep selling a different story are bias.

Nobody has been able to explain how broken-RTX Turing defeats RDNA... and they keep telling us to look towards Ampere. Illogical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back