AMD CEO Lisa Su Interview Discusses Crytocurrency

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Lisa Su says blockchain tech is where it's at. And she talks about bitcoin impacting GPU prices. Thanks cageymaru.

Check out the video.

Advanced Micro Devices CEO Lisa Su discusses the company's future, the state of chip sector and bitcoin.

keep mentioning Bitcoin, out of all crypto currently, GPU usage is NON existent for bitcoin use, unless you have millions of $ burning hole in pocket and infinite power budget (no one really)
At least some of them in this discussion including Lisa Su at least nailed it out properly, Bitcoin is not even part of their pie chart as far as loss or gain of sales for GPU usage, ASIC resistant Crypto maybe, even then,
at least IMO the amount of GPU sold for the express purpose of mining vs all other usage types is probably as small a fraction as those who buy the cream of the crop multi cpu systems.

There will always be someone, but, cannot blame them for buying using as they see fit, just as cannot blame someone who can afford a 2000HP beast of a vehicle burning YOUR fuel LOL.

Either way at least IMO, anything that gets them sold means more revenue for AMD, means more RND for future products.
Maybe all them miners are pathfinders for future stuff, who knows really.

Would be nice if prices were a bit more stable, not as many being greedy to makes as much $$$$$$ as possible (just because they are flying off the shelves) but that is the market for good or bad I suppose.

Reality is going to hit her really hard if she is banking on using GPU's for coin mining. She is setting herself up for disappointment and failure. I'll be quite honest. I don't think she gets it at all. US. gamers/hardware people.

Reactions: spine
like this
Heh, the 4k comment, is that why we have to wait until 2018-2020 for good 4k unless we only buy the 15 games that scale well in sli/crossfire?

Reality is going to hit her really hard if she is banking on using GPU's for coin mining. She is setting herself up for disappointment and failure. I'll be quite honest. I don't think she gets it at all. US. gamers/hardware people.

What, really?? Did you just plug your ears and go "lalalala i can't hear you! I'm just going to go ahead and start a new narrative that fits my agenda!" She said exactly the opposite, that she is not banking on consumers using GPUs for coin mining, and that it is a very small part of the business. She understands that a small percentage of users may be using their GPUs for mining (mid single digit percentage), but that is no real affect on their business or their engineering R&D. That wasn't even a good try.

Typo in the title Kyle? Cryptocurrency missing the P?

Really? So many people have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

Have you guys even listened to the interview? The stupid interviewer continually asked her about Bitcoins impact on AMD. She then answered that AMD's income is does not rely on crypto currencies and that the GPU's used for it accounts for mid single percentage of their income. It was the interviewer trying to show that AMD GPU's are used for Bitcoin and that AMD depend on it. Nowhere did she say it.

The reason the stupid people rate AMD stock down is because they think that AMD is all about Bitcoin.

But I suppose I should not blame you for thinking Lisa said it, this article's discrcription does not give enough info and can be misleading. Kyle, maybe you should just rephrase your point. It is not incorrect, but can lead to misunderstanding. But actually I suppose you would expect the readers to actually listen to the video before commenting.

It's always nice to hear from such a pleasant young man...
Have you listened to her? There is nothing in there saying she is banking on coin mining at all. She is in fact very smart about the way she folds that discussion into one on blockchain, which has a lot more commercial traction than crypto mining.

Back