AMD CEO Hector Ruiz Steps Down

Finally. Yeah, you'd really like to keep Ruiz around for his business wizardry. LOL

Glassdoor FTW

Finally. Yeah, you'd really like to keep Ruiz around for his business wizardry. LOL

Glassdoor FTW

But can Dirk Meyer, a mere engineer, run a successful and profitable business? There's a difference between looking at a balance sheet, managing P&L centers in an organization and designing thermal output, and gates array and all those other technical things.:confused:

I guess the news was mixed. AMD is down 6.6% after hours.

The good new is anybody but Hector. He drove the company into the ground. Goodbye and good riddance. AMD will still be haunted by his failures for a while. Hector "the dissector" also made a mess at Motorola, so don't give him too much credit.

New CEO, end of acquisition charges, new GPU line up, new PUMA mobile platform, probably new southbridge and 45nm Deneb soon. Hopefully AMD can have a new start.

It could be a new start if the lenders forgive the huge debt. ;)

I just read that Meyer wants to sell off AMD's digital TV division (set top box and HDTV chips). That used to be a shining light with a large market share and a major acquisition under its belt. Now we know why AMD took the charge now. Sounds like they are running short on cash.

So long Hector! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way down. (you fucking dolt)

Aufweidersehen! Don't let the door hit ya where the dog shoulda bit ya!

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

Actually I like that bit about the dog too, but this is the one I've always heard

So long Hector, you won't be missed.

You guys do realize hes still on the board of directors for AMD? He isn't out the door yet, he still gets a paycheck from AMD.

You guys do realize hes still on the board of directors for AMD? He isn't out the door yet, he still gets a paycheck from AMD.
But he's no longer in charge of the company (unless Meyer is a puppet), and the compensation is pretty mediocre. He will make less per year now than he made per *week* as CEO:
Perks and power
Unlike some other businesses, AMD does not require its board members to own any company stock. However, each director owns at least 10,000 shares of common stock, and all but recent addition John Caldwell have tens of thousands of unexercised stock options. Caldwell, who joined the board as part of the ATI merger last fall, likely won't ever be granted any options, because future share-based compensation will be in the form of restricted shares only.

Each independent director was paid a base salary of $65,000 for his or her service in 2006. On top of that, the committee leaders got $10,000 extra, or $20,000 for Eberhart, as chairman of the audit committee, and Palmer, the lead independent director.

To qualify for these salaries, the board members must attend 75% of their scheduled meetings. That's not as hard as it sounds, even if the board is spread across the nation: Not only do the bylaws allow meetings to happen anywhere the board chooses, but Delaware corporate law (that's where AMD is incorporated) allows boards to meet by teleconference.

My problem with the whole situation is that Dirk Meyer, the head of the microprocessor division while AMD had all its setbacks, is now in charge. While he did have a hand in AMD's early successes he also had one in the recent failures. Hopefully he'll do a better job directing the company than he did directing the microprocessor division of late.

Glassdoor FTW

Dude..........seriously wtf are you talking about? Their Managment/Marketing isn't the problem, it's their Engineers that need to step down bro.:rolleyes:

They can change Managment until the cows come how but it doesn't change the fact that Intel's current(and probably upcoming Nehalem) is superior........period.

Hector "the dissector" also made a mess at Motorola, so don't give him too much credit.

That is exactly what I thought when I heard he was moving to AMD. At the time, I thought he was an extremely poor choice and evidently I was right.

Jerry left right when good planning was about to change their fortunes. Hector brought nothing but bad times to AMD, despite riding an initial wave of success he didn't create.

i can see that all those who work for intel are gonna miss this man dearly... oopps theres one crying too!

He gets way too much credit anyway. People always attribute AMD64 to him because he was in charge when it launched, but forget that engineering has as much as a 10-year delay between creation and an actual product. AMD64 was the brain child of the CEO before him. He has been nothing but a Phenominal Phailure (see what I did there?) at both Motorola beforehand, and now AMD. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Back