cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD president and CEO Dr. Lisa Su has joined the CNBC "Squawk on the Street" team for an exclusive interview where she discusses the recent AMD financial report and the company's guidance for 2019. Make sure you pay attention to her comments on EPYC performance doubling per socket beginning at the 7:36 mark of the video.

During the interview, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said, "And we made some big bets. We bet on 7 nm and we bet on a new innovation around how we put these chips together. And our second-generation EPYC Jim; we're doing to double the performance per socket. Double the performance per socket. And when you have that kind of inflection point in performance it has to translate into better results. And that's what we're focused on executing. So that's the play in servers."

AMD president and CEO Dr. Lisa Su has joined the CNBC "Squawk on the Street" team for an exclusive interview where she discusses the recent AMD financial report and the company's guidance for 2019. Make sure you pay attention to her comments on EPYC performance doubling per socket beginning at the 7:36 mark of the video.

During the interview, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said, "And we made some big bets. We bet on 7 nm and we bet on a new innovation around how we put these chips together. And our second-generation EPYC Jim; we're doing to double the performance per socket. Double the performance per socket. And when you have that kind of inflection point in performance it has to translate into better results. And that's what we're focused on executing. So that's the play in servers."
I believe she's referring to a doubling of cores here, specifically. The mention of " per socket" here is the key indicator, imo.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
I think adored TV said double the performance for the same power, which is really impressive

I can believe it specifically in data-center and heavily virtualized environments, I was able to go from a 5 year old 4 socket virtual host down to a single Epyc processor while still gaining performance overall just because of the huge core count increase and I am super thankful for how it simplified my licensing, I am very much looking forward to seeing what their 7nm processors can do, granted I don't know many desktop users who would be generating enough simultaneous commands to use all those cores but I do know they exist. I am holding off on my next server upgrade for my main Citrix server because I really want to see what AMD can bring to the table for July/August not only on the CPU side but the GPU as well.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I love it. If I need to grow my Cisco UCS environment in the next few years I'll HOPE I can land some. The only problem in my environment would be no vMotion from Intel to AMD or back. You have to turn off a VM before you can move it from chip to chip. I still want to try if I can. Especially if they're going to be used for customers.

Where to from here? They can't put more cores in each die, can they? They can't put more dies into the socket, can they? Optimization and cherry-picked silicon for faster speeds? I think it would be great if they got into the SAN/Storage game. All those PCIe lanes for NVMe, SAS controllers, and super high speed network cards. Get in with Pure, Rubrik, EMC, Netapp, etc.

double performance pe socket is nice.
But double performance per core would be awesome for games

double performance pe socket is nice.
But double performance per core would be awesome for games
Servers and workstations are all about more cores not faster cores, makes for better multi tasking efficiency.

"Moore's law is dead"

At Intel, sure.

game were not, and never will be, the focus of server products.

I can believe it specifically in data-center and heavily virtualized environments, I was able to go from a 5 year old 4 socket virtual host down to a single Epyc processor while still gaining performance overall just because of the huge core count increase and I am super thankful for how it simplified my licensing, I am very much looking forward to seeing what their 7nm processors can do, granted I don't know many desktop users who would be generating enough simultaneous commands to use all those cores but I do know they exist. I am holding off on my next server upgrade for my main Citrix server because I really want to see what AMD can bring to the table for July/August not only on the CPU side but the GPU as well.

I guess both of you don't understand just how many simultaneous instances of solitaire, minesweeper, and flash intensive myspace pages I can have running.

At Intel, sure.

I guess both of you don't understand just how many simultaneous instances of solitaire, minesweeper, and flash intensive myspace pages I can have running.
If you are anything like my mother than a lot, except replace myspace with Mommy forums, websites about bees, and 50 open tabs of Facebook.

Servers and workstations are all about more cores not faster cores, makes for better multi tasking efficiency.

You dont multitask better by having the same amount of performance split over multiple cores.
Multiple cores need multiple threads to be used. more core performance does not have any extra needs.
thread handling also has a cost

multiple cores is a patch solutions on not having a fast enough core. and it worsk nicely with server/workstation because the workload is easily threadable.

I mean, maybe it will be if the cloud game streaming business takes off.
I agree with your general observation but I wouldn't say never :)
Also A.I. ( deep learning at this stage...but still ) in games would seem to need server type cpu architecture ( for multiple instancing problem solving ) married to graphics heavy cpu architecture for games that are 3 or four years out.
Imagine an NPC that was running real time multiple deep learning instances of observations your game play to create on the fly counters to your actions. Seems as if a company that had some mature ( consumer ready ) hardware in both areas could advance gaming to the next level and make a killing in the process .

AMD had another nice day on the market - it was up 19% today. I expect a pull back (along with the rest of the market...)

Back