AMD Celebrates 5 Years of Ryzen Processors

I'm a Mac user, so Ryzen chips don't factor much into my daily life. But I do have to thank AMD for becoming truly competitive again and lighting a fire under Intel. Too late for Apple, of course, but hopefully it saves Windows PC users from enduring another 14nm+++++++++ revision.

They say very directly in the video, "There will be a Ryzen product in early 2022, that goes into socket AM4, with 3D V-Cache."
I didnt watch the video, but to me that translates "A Single high-end Halo product to compete with top end Alder Lake until Zen 4 is ready." Probably to iron out manufacturing issues using 3dCache for future products. I don't see a full product refresh.

I didnt watch the video, but to me that translates "A Single high-end Halo product to compete with top end Alder Lake until Zen 4 is ready." Probably to iron out manufacturing issues using 3dCache for future products. I don't see a full product refresh.
AMD has been telling investors they are operating on an 18 month refresh cycle. Keeping to that April 2022 would be the refresh date for what ever comes to replace the Ryzen 5000 series as it was launched Oct 8 2020.

AMD has been telling investors they are operating on an 18 month refresh cycle. Keeping to that April 2022 would be the refresh date for what ever comes to replace the Ryzen 5000 series as it was launched Oct 8 2020.
They are saying early Q1 2022 for the 3D V-cache AM4 CPU/s. Rumors suggest January, with December originally intended. Zen 4 is going to be Q3/Q4 2022.

They are saying early Q1 2022 for the 3D V-cache AM4 CPU/s. Rumors suggest January, with December originally intended. Zen 4 is going to be Q3/Q4 2022.
Announcements come months before launch. So if they make a Dec or Jan announcement it would fit with what they have been telling investors. Either way I’m skeptical on actual supply of anything they announce. It’s already announced that AMD is contracted to deliver a lot of PS5’s on the new N5P node so that will be consuming the bulk of the AMD wafers for the foreseeable future. I would love something sooner but I’m not expecting it based on what they have been putting up n their documents.

Real truth to this...

I have a 2600k that is still running my windows media server. It just chugs along. Last year I gave it some new life by upgrading the boot drive to an ssd.

A couple months ago, I made a internet/email/office machine for my wife. CPU is an fx-8350 with an ssd and 16mb ram. Works great for those tasks. Doesn't hang on any day to day tasks. SSDs really gave new life to old work station type machines.
Where do you even find sticks that small anymore?

It's been an interesting trip with Ryzen so far. From replacing my fx6300 setup with a Ryzen 1600, then onto a 3600, and currently a 5600X.

Really looking forward to seeing how navi apus perform.

Still plenty of worthy DX11 titles that will benefit from the performance #s they're claiming with the Vcache design.

Where do you even find sticks that small anymore?
Nice catch, but i bet I have some someplace.

I use to have a build with an FIC VA-503+....that thing was the.....biggest pain in the ass ever. I mean it was cool in that it could take SDRAM OR EDO ram. But the jumpers you had to set with that thing were insane. Voltage, bus, clock, ram type.....every conceivable setting was a jumper. And you had to get them right or it wouldn't boot.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/socket-7-board-review-july-1998,79-11.html

I'm... not willing to watch a 14 minute video full of info I already read on Videocardz and WCCF months ago to answer this, but I'm curious why they're starting the "5 year" celebration four years after Zen 1 was actually released? Are they counting from when Zen 1 was announced? Or from when Socket AM4 was released? Or just making the entire coming year a celebration? Zen 1 was 2017, not 2016, right?

Regardless, good for AMD. Competitive on the desktop again after a decade and competitive in mobile for the first time ever, well done.

It's been exactly 4.5 years since official release, but in the video they mention that they are counting from the first public demo.
that makes sense I guess

AMD line go up

Edit to add: Shoutout to me for letting myself getting talked out of putting money into AMD in 2015 because "people have been saying that AMD is about to go up for twenty years, it'll never happen"
My planned $1K investment would now be worth $55K 🙃

Yeah, I turned $4,000 into $21,000 on AMD back in 2015. Only held for a year and sold. But if I had held it to today, OMFG...

For those of of that have experienced products in the Ryzen product lineup, how excited are you for the new chips and features coming in early 2022? Personally I am ready to upgrade to DDR5 and a new video card. My Ryzen 3900X has held up quite nicely and was a great upgrade from my old Ryzen 1700. It is going to be a sad day when I relegate this setup to the closet.
I got a Ryzen 1700 at launch and thought that 8/16 threads would be more than enough.
Then I upgraded to a Ryzen 3900X when 8/16 slow threads definitely wasn't enough. I also upgraded the motherboard because I needed more PCI-E lanes.

I'm gonna be upgrading to a 16 core/32 thread top of the line chip before the end of this motherboard. I went from being a purely gaming machine to somewhat of a workstation/gaming hybrid and I'll take any and all cores that I can throw at it. I'm hoping that the V-Cache 16 core will be a good enough upgrade to last me until at least AM5 Generation 2 chips come out, as I don't want to deal with gen 1 launch after the hassle that Ryzen launch was.

any stock trading at a buck or two has the high end potential to buy you an island.

Jeez that’s gone quick. I hadn’t looked at the share price for a little while either.

Now in third place for return percentage behind Apple and Amazon.

Bought in April 2017. I told soooooo many people to buy them too, all because I was following it on [H]

My three greatest stock picks, based on the genius insight of “that’s a lot of packages showing up at work”, “that phone is much better than my phone” and “that’s gaming changing performance and Intel just keep releasing the same thing”

Back