AMD Celebrates 5 Years of Ryzen Processors

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD is celebrating 5 years of its Ryzen product releases with a new celebration page and video. Robert Hallock and John Taylor from AMD have a sit-down discussion where they go over the AMD roadmap, next generation technology, 3D V-cache, and more. In 2022, expect to see an all new platform for Zen complete with DDR5, PCI-Express Gen 5, and cooler compatibility with existing socket AM4 coolers. There was discussion of uses for the new technology in accelerators such as A.I., an automatic laptop lock that recognizes when the user exits the area, noise cancellation for teleconferencing, A.I. driven enhanced PC performance, 2022 laptop efficiency features, and more.

2021-10-12 (2).png

For those of of that have experienced products in the Ryzen product lineup, how excited are you for the new chips and features coming in early 2022? Personally I am ready to upgrade to DDR5 and a new video card. My Ryzen 3900X has held up quite nicely and was a great upgrade from my old Ryzen 1700. It is going to be a sad day when I relegate this setup to the closet.

For those of of that have experienced products in the Ryzen product lineup, how excited are you for the new chips and features coming in early 2022? Personally I am ready to upgrade to DDR5 and a new video card. My Ryzen 3900X has held up quite nicely and was a great upgrade from my old Ryzen 1700. It is going to be a sad day when I relegate this setup to the closet.
I have a 5950x and a 3080ti. I am good for a few years. In my older age I finding less and less interest in hardware.

Also interested in the V-cache chips and hopeful for one last AM4 refresh including it. That was a rumor a while back. If not I'll move to a 5900x on my main system, toss the 5600x into the side box and run 'em for at least a year after DDR5 releases.

I am more interested to see what AMD does for support on USB 4, TPM 2, and other such things involving chipsets and sockets. CPU's at a point where for my home usage they are fast enough, I just don't have time for AAA titles on launch hell I am just getting around to Witcher 3.
For work AMD has left me in the dark, I can't get an EPYC right now to save my life, and the Threadrippers have been slapped with a bunch of Gaming branding making it near impossible for me to purchase unless I order a Lenovo workstation but the cost premiums involved make it a hard sell compared to a similarly performing Xeon system.

So I will eagerly await their launches and drool over the fancy bar graphs and glowing reviews from Tech Jesus and the likes but I doubt my ability to get my hands on one till 2024.

I am more interested to see what AMD does for support on USB 4, TPM 2, and other such things involving chipsets and sockets. CPU's at a point where for my home usage they are fast enough, I just don't have time for AAA titles on launch hell I am just getting around to Witcher 3.
For work AMD has left me in the dark, I can't get an EPYC right now to save my life, and the Threadrippers have been slapped with a bunch of Gaming branding making it near impossible for me to purchase unless I order a Lenovo workstation but the cost premiums involved make it a hard sell compared to a similarly performing Xeon system.

So I will eagerly await their launches and drool over the fancy bar graphs and glowing reviews from Tech Jesus and the likes but I doubt my ability to get my hands on one till 2024.
I doubt there will be much of a issue getting CPUs. They tried scalping Intel 11xxx CPUs and failed miserably. There is plenty of supply of current gen CPUs. CPUs are not as much demand as GPUs.

I doubt there will be much of a issue getting CPUs. They tried scalping Intel 11xxx CPUs and failed miserably. There is plenty of supply of current gen CPUs. CPUs are not as much demand as GPUs.
Yeah, Intel hasn't had nearly as much of a supply issue as AMD, AMD's biggest issue is they have too much going on and they are having to carve up their silicon into so many different products. But my new servers are all to my dismay Xeons as the ETA on the needed EPYC's was unacceptable and the Threadrippers haven't had a refresh in 3 years and while they are in OK supply, the MB's for them are all gaming branded and as I work with a lot of government money when I buy parts with "Gaming, RGB, Extreme, Aurora, etc ..." branding in the title I get flagged by the auditors at year-end and then I have to answer questions there is paperwork involved and it creates far more of a headache than it is worth because they don't look over one purchase at that point they need proof that it was a one-off and not a red flag for something inappropriate, so then they are forced to look over all my expenditures and then I have accounting and my bosses come done on me for the extra attention they get on the subject so the only solution is to not buy them. It is incredibly hard to build an AMD system from scratch at this point without hitting one of those forbidden reserved words.

Yeah, Intel hasn't had nearly as much of a supply issue as AMD, AMD's biggest issue is they have too much going on and they are having to carve up their silicon into so many different products. But my new servers are all to my dismay Xeons as the ETA on the needed EPYC's was unacceptable and the Threadrippers haven't had a refresh in 3 years and while they are in OK supply, the MB's for them are all gaming branded and as I work with a lot of government money when I buy parts with "Gaming, RGB, Extreme, Aurora, etc ..." branding in the title I get flagged by the auditors at year-end and then I have to answer questions there is paperwork involved and it creates far more of a headache than it is worth because they don't look over one purchase at that point they need proof that it was a one-off and not a red flag for something inappropriate, so then they are forced to look over all my expenditures and then I have accounting and my bosses come done on me for the extra attention they get on the subject so the only solution is to not buy them. It is incredibly hard to build an AMD system from scratch at this point without hitting one of those forbidden reserved words.
No method of pre-authorization?

5800x.... no need to change for 2 or 3 more gens

6900xt ... no need to change for 2 gens easy

No method of pre-authorization?
I can but then things need to be signed off on it adds time and other hassles, so if I absolutely need to I can do it and I have I did replace the MB on one of the Threadrippers with an ASUS Strix TRX40-E Gaming board but was specifically asked by the CFO to avoid having to do it again. If a Threadripper system was leagues ahead then I could justify it but the current Xeon lineup is close enough in terms of price and performance that AMD's benefits for me just don't outweigh the administrative headaches involved.

I can but then things need to be signed off on it adds time and other hassles, so if I absolutely need to I can do it and I have I did replace the MB on one of the Threadrippers with an ASUS Strix TRX40-E Gaming board but was specifically asked by the CFO to avoid having to do it again. If a Threadripper system was leagues ahead then I could justify it but the current Xeon lineup is close enough in terms of price and performance that AMD's benefits for me just don't outweigh the administrative headaches involved.
It would be nice to see in the threadripper boards go under the Vision and ProArt creator brands from Gigabyte and Asus.

5800x and 3090 Here, I wouldn't mind getting a 12 core with V Cache when they come out as the only reason I didn't jump to a 5900x at release was availability, but I could pretty easily be convinced to upgrade.

5900x. I won’t be moving to DDR5 until it has at least matured a generation. I think this should be enough CPU power for a few more years.

For me it is more wait and see approach, DDR5, PCIE5 may or may not have any significant benefit for my use cases. Now as a hobby, I can see binging on a small system using an APU if it has DDR5 and the video GPU is good, maybe use my Commodore 64 case for this but AMD seems to be main and servers processors first, then mobile, then HEDT then APUs for DIY. In other words 2023. As for V-Cache, if it really only beneficial for lower resolution gaming, not much else, it would probably make zero difference gaming experience wise. Maybe better to spend money elsewhere -> wait and see there as well.

I can understand how that can be a huge headache (IT government contractor myself). Just glancing at newegg I can see 3 boards that just say "Pro" (MSI and Asus). There are other ones that say "Aorus Pro" and "Designare" but those might be borderline (maybe?), what are your thoughts?
It's also unfortunate as some of the "gaming" ones have the best VRMs for stability. Do all of them support ECC?

very, i got in late this cycle and figured I'd hold out for the next line rather than grabbing a 5950x.

I have a 5950x and a 3080ti. I am good for a few years. In my older age I finding less and less interest in hardware.
It isn't just age, it is that hardware has gotten way better. Back in the day, even new CPUs sucked. Ya the 486 was WAY faster than a 386... but it still took like 2 minutes to boot in to Windows, and printing a document was something that took all your computer power to do. So every upgrade was needed before the part even came out. We were in a situation of never having enough power to REALLY do what we wanted. Well that's not the case anymore. CPUs in particular have gotten so powerful that for most shit, you don't end up needing a new one that often because the one you have is already more powerful than you need. Makes new releases less exciting.

Also the hardware isn't jumping up in power as much as it used to. Particularly with CPUs where they aren't willing to throw tons more wattage/TDP at it like GPUs. They just don't scale as big generation to generation.

It's nice, it is a sign of the computer market maturing.

I can understand how that can be a huge headache (IT government contractor myself). Just glancing at newegg I can see 3 boards that just say "Pro" (MSI and Asus). There are other ones that say "Aorus Pro" and "Designare" but those might be borderline (maybe?), what are your thoughts?
It's also unfortunate as some of the "gaming" ones have the best VRMs for stability. Do all of them support ECC?
Pro is fine Aorus is not, can't use New Egg though that is a whole story, we won't touch them with a 10ft pole. But boards like the Prime Pro are borderline, but on the New Egg Canada site there are a hand full of acceptable ones now so that is good last time I checked they were all XE-Gaming and Extreme Alpha stuff like that. Ram is still a crapshoot, Vengeance, Ripjaws, Ballistix, RGB, that is all going to flag something somewhere.

I swear AMD goes out of its way to make it hard for enterprises to buy their stuff. Intel may have a robot naming their parts but at least it all looks good on an excel sheet.

In regards to ECC support that is complex, the short answer is No with the long answer being yes but only. Threadripper supports ECC memory but it may or may not be checking the ECC bit, it depends on what the AIB was feeling like on that day on that particular bios release.

Last edited:

I'm erect.

I don't believe my motherboard supports the 5*** series. I am on a 3700X. With the MSRP increase and the impossibility to find plus increase in prices sold at newegg and the like I skipped the 57**. I had planned to side grade each generation but will wait and see what the next generation comes with and how much motherboards cost.

I‘ve got a desktop with a 5950x, 64 GB of RAM, and a 3080 and a laptop with a 5900HX and a mobile 3080, so I think I’m good for several years. My record for longest primary rig is the 6 years I stayed on my i7-2600K system and I believe my 5950x rig could beat that record if it doesn’t croak.

Just got this 5950x a few months back, I think I'm good for a long while. I usually keep CPUs for like 4 years, but may update if it's on the same socket.

In this case, I just don't see a need. The CPUs are already more powerful than most software can take advantage of, and nothing I do is slow in the least.

Even my old computer was fine, no problems with performance, I just wanted to support AMD. They came through in a big way.

Just got this 5950x a few months back, I think I'm good for a long while. I usually keep CPUs for like 4 years, but may update if it's on the same socket.

In this case, I just don't see a need. The CPUs are already more powerful than most software can take advantage of, and nothing I do is slow in the least.

Even my old computer was fine, no problems with performance, I just wanted to support AMD. They came through in a big way.
I play some very poorly written cpu limited games. If it's enough performance I'll upgrade from the 5900x. I'll make that decision as we get more information.

3960x, 3950x, 1950x - I'm good for a bit :D

Excited for what comes in about 2 years - give me the DDR5 threadripper!

It isn't just age, it is that hardware has gotten way better. Back in the day, even new CPUs sucked. Ya the 486 was WAY faster than a 386... but it still took like 2 minutes to boot in to Windows, and printing a document was something that took all your computer power to do. So every upgrade was needed before the part even came out. We were in a situation of never having enough power to REALLY do what we wanted. Well that's not the case anymore. CPUs in particular have gotten so powerful that for most shit, you don't end up needing a new one that often because the one you have is already more powerful than you need. Makes new releases less exciting.

Also the hardware isn't jumping up in power as much as it used to. Particularly with CPUs where they aren't willing to throw tons more wattage/TDP at it like GPUs. They just don't scale as big generation to generation.

It's nice, it is a sign of the computer market maturing.
Real truth to this...

I have a 2600k that is still running my windows media server. It just chugs along. Last year I gave it some new life by upgrading the boot drive to an ssd.

A couple months ago, I made a internet/email/office machine for my wife. CPU is an fx-8350 with an ssd and 16mb ram. Works great for those tasks. Doesn't hang on any day to day tasks. SSDs really gave new life to old work station type machines.

Yeah, it was the hard drives the whole time. That's what made computers slow.

On my new rig I went all SSD, no HDD at all, and I think it made a big difference.

It isn't just age, it is that hardware has gotten way better. Back in the day, even new CPUs sucked. Ya the 486 was WAY faster than a 386
Something similar has been going on for Internet speed I would imagine (and for many hard drive size), hard to get exited for G5 for a regular user on a personal device versus upgrade of the past with virtually no one having any use for higher bandwidth.

It become smaller the group of people that get exited (even if for some I am sure it is a big deal that the new epyc will bring), video card was a bit of a last stand in that regard of fast improvement + scaling of them and that went away a bit has well.

With all that said outside gaming for some parallels task the gain made over generation if you go up in cores are still in the 200% and more type, which I am not sure it is particularly slow versus the past if at all.

Has for the comments, any corei5 with 16 gig of ram if it has an ssd could do a lot for a lightweight Internet-office type it is true even system going on for 10 year's, which is quite a world of difference than trying to do something modern in 2000 with a 1990 computer.

I don't believe my motherboard supports the 5*** series. I am on a 3700X. With the MSRP increase and the impossibility to find plus increase in prices sold at newegg and the like I skipped the 57**. I had planned to side grade each generation but will wait and see what the next generation comes with and how much motherboard
So your newest board isn't even a B450? PM me you location I'll send ya one and a cpu. For old time sake if I cannot imagine another reason.

Yes, the core count is going up and some apps can take advantage, but how slow is unzipping a zip file? It is almost instant, so 200% better is still not a huge difference.

Yes, the core count is going up and some apps can take advantage, but how slow is unzipping a zip file? It is almost instant, so 200% better is still not a huge difference.
For days to days maybe, but if you often compile something big (I went from over 7 minute to 2 something on my biggest solution going from 6 core to 12 faster core), transcode-compress video, render.

Same goes for internet speed for many once you hit 35 mbits and people can use the internet without knowing someone else is streaming netflix at is peak 25mbits, who care if it is faster, someone else but way more niche like having 400 mbits or even a gigabits, now CPU advancement is way nicher who care about it I think.

When in the past 100% of the user saw a huge difference going from a 486 to a pentium 75 or a pentium 75 to a pentium 2 300 mhz, floppy to cd, 4mb to 128mb of ram, etc... almost regardless of the type of users, outside some pure text file edit, where it peaked with a pentium 90 with 16mb with a very simple text base like DOS os installed and went purely downhill from there.

For days to days maybe, but if you often compile something big (I went from over 7 minute to 2 something on my biggest solution going from 6 core to 12 faster core), transcode-compress video, render.

Same goes for internet speed for many once you hit 35 mbits and people can use the internet without knowing someone else is streaming netflix at is peak 25mbits, who care if it is faster, someone else but way more niche like having 400 mbits or even a gigabits, now CPU advancement is way nicher who care about it I think.

When in the past 100% of the user saw a huge difference going from a 486 to a pentium 75 or a pentium 75 to a pentium 2 300 mhz, floppy to cd, 4mb to 128mb of ram, etc... almost regardless of the type of users, outside some pure text file edit, where it peaked with a pentium 90 with 16mb with a very simple text base like DOS os installed and went purely downhill from there.
A p90 peaked, huh? What about that whole floating point error on the p90?

Those were the days......

I'm thinking 6600 and Zen3+++++ may co-announce tomorrow, and god forbid a new Threadripper is mentioned which would compel a 15% wiener uplift in most of us, god willing.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for Threadripper with Zen3 and Vcache.

I hardly use my 2950x to its potential now. I just like having the best of everything.

Wife - 5600x
Daughter - 5800x
Me - 5900x
I traded my 7700k setup straight across for a 1700 setup back when I was more into video editing and not PC gaming so much .. and haven't looked back
Thanks to a little game called Hunt:Showdown, I've been sucked back into PC gaming .. that and doing online matches with my daughter playing Destiny 2 and Fortnite once in a great while ..
I'm very interested in what their new chips bring to the table .. it looks like Intel finally got off their butts from being knocked down by AMD .. interesting times ahead for sure.

Last edited:
Back