AMD Catalyst Control Center 11.6 Crashes Windows 7

Cyraxx

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello Folks,

Need a little help here because I am running in Circles now. I recently bought a couple of Radeon 4850 1GB DDR3 Cars to run in Crossfire since they were so cheap. The problem is these Catalyst Drivers are KILLING me.

I've tried probably 10x to install the latest 11.6 suite. I've tried with 2 cards in. I've tried with 1 card in. I've tried with the other card in. I even reformatted for the hell of it too. No good :( Heres what happens when it crashes: Windows boots, loads the majority of stuff, then it gets to Catalyst Control Center loading on boot and then after... saaaay... 5 seconds the screen starts flickering, then eventually goes completely black and I'm forced to reboot.

Now here's the deal: I've eliminated it to one thing: The driver suite. If I run windows default video drivers, all is good. If I install the catalyst driver with the display driver only package, all is good. It's that damn catalyst control center (which I need to run CrossFire anyways) that is killing it. I'm running out of options here though, and I could really use some advice on what to do next. Does anyone else have any ideas? Maybe some experience with this?

Specs:
ASUS P8P67 EVO (latest BIOS)
Intel Core i7 2600k

For me 11.6 would not even complete its install and I had to do a system restore after each failure.

have you tried disabling crossfire then installing the driver? (manually pluck out one card from the mobo)

Use older ones with the newest CAP. I don't think you get any benefits from the newest drivers. Anything crossfire related will be handled via the CAPs.

Did you guys uninstall the old drivers first, run driver sweeper to clean things up, and then install the new drivers? I have to admit that 11.6 hasn't caused any problems for me yet although I don't have 4000 series cards.

Ya, 11.6 has been acting weird with my 4870. It will turn off one monitor when I go into some games instead of showing teamspeak, steam, etc on the secondary monitor. I haven't actually crashed with 11.6 though, but I will probably go back to 11.5 anyways. My guess is 11.6 is just a lemon for older cards.

Yeap, definitely a problem with 11.6 folks - Very weird problems too though. Believe me - I cleared drivers everytime (driver sweeper, etc..). It's funny, I installed 11.6 driver only and it works fine as a display driver. I install 11.6 catalyst control center and it crashes. I install 11.6 display driver and 11.5b Catalyst Control Center and it crashes. I install BOTH 11.5b display driver + 11.5b Catalyst Control Center and it works like a charm. From this logic, it's the COMBINATION of 11.6 Display Driver & Catalyst Control Center.

11.5b package worked like a charm.

That's a really weird hardware configuration - most modern CPU/mobo with 2 really old cards. Could it be a hardware compatibility issue?

11.6 works fine for the several PCs that I have installed it on.

But given that your problem exist on a clean install of windows with numerous drivers versions, it's hard to put the blame on anything else but the user or possibly hardware.

FWIW Drive cleaner 3.1.0 pwnz for cleaning out old drivers prior to updates.

But, Why kill yourself trying to install 11.6?

The last driver that actually did anything for the 4xxx series cards was the 10.8's or 10.9's, the ones with the hotfix for the 4xxx series in crossfire.

You aren't getting any benefit from the latest drivers, just use 11.5b or whatever works and update the CAP's as they come along.

Back