AMD Catalyst 15.7 Driver is now available!

I'm only seeing 2560x1440 as an option (and not 3200x1800). Does it have anything to do with the fact that I'm using a DVI cable to my monitor? I thought that VSR happens only inside the video card and has nothing to do with the type of the output (which is still going to be a 1080p signal sent to the monitor - am I getting it right?).

GCN 1.0 only can do up to 2560x1440@60hz, as far i know.

Brent stated earlier that it improved frame rates in FC4. I wonder if there will be a follow up to the Fury review in the near future.

Well, the Fury is getting released tomorrow. Although, it could be too late to use these drivers.

Yeah there is seems to be some kind of driver cap for these, mine appears to max out at 1800p for my 16x10 setup. It might still be worth experimenting, as I was still able to exceed the max default of 2560x1600 on my setup - maybe 2880x1620 or 2720x1530 would work for you.

thanks man, will try this out later tonight

should i try these drivers for my R9-280X in BF4 @ 1080P ?

not sure how old my drivers are, but for sure pretty old

do these drivers have mantle support ?

should i try these drivers for my R9-280X in BF4 @ 1080P ?

not sure how old my drivers are, but for sure pretty old

do these drivers have mantle support ?

mantle have worse performance than DX11 in BF4. also according release notes:

[422291] Battlefield 4 triggers TDR and crash when running in AMD Mantle mode

so even less recommended to run Mantle in Bf4.

These drivers seem a bit smoother watching my girlfriend play The Witcher 3 on her 290 setup. Thumbs up. No issues so far.

Chrome hardware accelerations bug seems to be fixed with these drivers. (at least so far) The previous windows update drivers would always crash 2-3 times a day. *not hard crashes but driver restart crashes
So far no flickers or crashes of any kind...starting to look very good for windows 10 people

So from what I understand, FRTC works by slowing down the gpu when it's able to do so while still hitting the maximum specified framerate? Given the way framerates vary during gameplay, I assume it's estimating the amount of slowdown based on some kind of running average of the framerate? Do we know how agile the clocks are, and how accurate FRTC is at maintaining a power level sufficient to hit the target framerate? Or should we be padding it out, setting 65fps instead of 60, that sort of thing?

I would suggest locking it to your refresh rate. That's worked for me using RadeonPro and RivaTuner, so I assume it will for AMD's official tool. If you see it's not maintaining a steady 60fps, bump it up 1fps to 61 and see if that solves it.

Reading the release I have questions.

It appears this latest driver does not support Trinity APU graphics, AMD Radeon HD 7540D.

The driver package though appears to support the A-Series because it's the MB/SB, A85X.

The updated raidxpert, what improvements are over the previous version?

I built my brother a A10 Trinity system two years ago and it still has the original drivers from that time.

I am sure it could benefit from some updates.

Basically 15.7 SB package but APU wise 14.2 Omega is the last supported.

Can you mix and match GPU and chipset drivers?

Not sure, but I would guess probably. Why not try it?

Mainly because if it borks the system I'd have to drive a 1100 mile round trip to fix it.

AMD's doc's don't appear to be as complete as they could be in terms of what is supported or no longer supported.

I generally go with the packages on the MB site but Gigabyte has not updated this board in about 18 months.

Mainly because if it borks the system I'd have to drive a 1100 mile round trip to fix it.

AMD's doc's don't appear to be as complete as they could be in terms of what is supported or no longer supported.

I generally go with the packages on the MB site but Gigabyte has not updated this board in about 18 months.

Generally they just package in older drivers if no new driver work was done on a specific target. Given that all the talk on this release is GCN focused I'd just skip it. I'd especially skip it if I had to drive (fly maybe?) 1000 miles to fix something.

So from what I understand, FRTC works by slowing down the gpu when it's able to do so while still hitting the maximum specified framerate? Given the way framerates vary during gameplay, I assume it's estimating the amount of slowdown based on some kind of running average of the framerate? Do we know how agile the clocks are, and how accurate FRTC is at maintaining a power level sufficient to hit the target framerate? Or should we be padding it out, setting 65fps instead of 60, that sort of thing?

To test it out, I set it to 60 in a game called Warframe where I normally get 250+ fps sitting in my ship peering at the stars. Using the in game fps meter it ran at 58.9 to 59.9 fps. So I'm going to take Rizen's advice and raise it a little bit.

To test it out, I set it to 60 in a game called Warframe where I normally get 250+ fps sitting in my ship peering at the stars. Using the in game fps meter it ran at 58.9 to 59.9 fps. So I'm going to take Rizen's advice and raise it a little bit.

Not sure for anyone else but I found when playing skyrim that around 60 didn't not produce smooth frames. When I set to 75 it was perfect (60hz 1080p monitor here). I cant explain it, makes no logical sense. Just works.

Logical, It seems that this version is more geared towards 10 and 14.12 omega appears to be stable plus their doc states the Trinity chip is supported.
The computer is question does not see any gaming, just a web browser so it does not need any game fixes.
Will probably update the raidxpert interface, it's probably just a updated GUI, maybe more information added.

hmm, I started up Path Of Exile for the new patch, but I can't get the FRTC to work with it

I have to say, these drivers got rid of some annoying glitches in BF4, no more lagginess in on American servers for me. My ping time went from 60-80ms to 20-40ms. With the 15.x beta drivers, I would always get this hiccup.

I haven't tested FRTC yet, I really do not care about that feature, Im just playing normally the games as always and certainly the first thing noticed was the "smooth" sensation, vastly improved certainly, im moving the 280X to my main machine to be sure to compare a after/before results and experience, but so far in the tested games there's definitively a big and noticeable difference in Frame Time stability.

The built in framerate limiter doesn't appear to work in most of the titles I tried. Looks like I'll still be relying on Afterburner & RTSS

/sigh

Is there a list of game benchmark improvements on the Fury X with the new driver? Everyone expected GREAT things from the driver update for the Fury X.

I tried BF4 with FRTC set at 80 (5 above display max) and SVR at 2560x1440(1080p) and it pretty much stayed at 80fps on all ultra and no AA. Worked great in that game for me. Any idea what image upscale value this would equal on the built in slider? Was just curious but never the less really like the extra features we have now.

Last edited:
I can't set the Power Limit on the second 290x with these drivers. I can set Power Limit and GPU Clock on the first card but only the GPU Clock on the second. :(

I can't set the Power Limit on the second 290x with these drivers. I can set Power Limit and GPU Clock on the first card but only the GPU Clock on the second. :(

clean install with DDU?. also you can try swapping the GPUs. or test'em individually..

I tried setting FRTC to 90fps in Witcher 3, which is my max refresh with Freesync (MG279Q) and it keeps the card at idle all the time so I end up with about 5fps. Turn it off and suddenly the game runs fine again... or sort of fine, Freesync in Witcher 3 is a stuttery mess of shit that makes me wish I didn't try it to be honest. I can literally watch the refresh lines if I pan the screen around, instead of one tear it gets little tiny steps all the way down the screen, Extremely distracting and not what I experienced at all with Gsync.

EDIT: freesync doesn't appear to be working at all, in any game. Guess I'll be returning this monitor after all, what a waste of money.

Last edited:
I have installed it on my FX6300 /R9-280 rig and I have only played with the CPU Overtune which I really like as my cpu was capped at 3.5Ghz and I let it run the test up to 4.0ghz and stopped.. rebooted as it told me to and then I clicked the overtune button and the slider to 4.0Ghz and it's now running with turbo to 4.0Ghz under load as I get to keep the wide range to clocking and not set to just 4.0Ghz as it will down clock to 1.2 Ghz depending on what what kind of load i'm running but gaming or virus scan is all 6 cores at 4.0Ghz ..

I still have the stock cooler so I need to get something else before going forward as it may do a lot more ..

clean install with DDU?. also you can try swapping the GPUs. or test'em individually..

I'll try a reinstall at some point and while I did use DDU I think it’s important to note that it has never done anything for any AMD driver issue that I’ve had, along with the AMD cleanup utility or simply uninstalling that driver before installing the new one. No other PC device I have has such magical and unknowable requirements. While you should be able to just install the new driver I/we jump through these hoops and still have issues.

With any new driver update it never seems to just work. I get the stuck black screen or missing HDMI audio or missing second card or can’t select an overdrive setting on the second card. Only thing that seems to work is another uninstall/reinstall.

Back