AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver in now available. Includes support for Windows 10 upgrade!

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
Hello everyone,

Click here to download the driver.

Highlights of the Driver:

Windows 10 Support:
This driver provides support for Windows 10 as well as full WDDM 2.0 and DirectX 12 support which is available on all AMD Graphics Core Next (GCN) supported products – AMD Radeon HD 7000 and newer graphics products.

For instructions on how to uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, you may refer to the following support resources:

How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

Please make sure to read the Release Notes to learn more about this version of the driver and use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs – Thank you!

I still GPU mine, and the 15.7 drivers for my 7870 are very unstable, the last semi-stable ones were the 13.6 drivers and then text corruption becomes and issue :(

I still GPU mine, and the 15.7 drivers for my 7870 are very unstable, the last semi-stable ones were the 13.6 drivers and then text corruption becomes and issue :(

They've been OK on my 7870

Me thinks you may have something else going on if you've been having trouble since that far back

I have to say im absolutely impressed how good are running this drivers in windows 10, to the point I have to say I have less issues with this versus Nvidia drivers. Games are running also much, much better, certainly surprised to see how well are running new and old games with this old 280X mainly I guess due to how well CPU and resources are managed by windows 10 in comparison to windows 7.

I'm really impressed with this driver in Windows 10 (versus 15.7, which I had installed last night).

I had two major issues:
-Bluray disc playback in PowerDVD 14 was really wonky (would stop playing and/or crash when it went fullscreen)
-Arkham Knight had a major performance regression compared to Windows 8.1 (which was relatively smooth for me, albeit locked at 30 FPS)

15.7.1 fixed both of these issues for me. Bluray disc playback is fine now, and Arkham Knight is back to its old performance (at the very least, a stable 30 FPS and not a stuttery mess). Awesome job. :cool:

Last edited:
If I can't find 15.4 for Windows 10, do you think 15.4 for Windows 8.1 would work? I'm first and foremost concerned with keeping BF4 running in Mantle mode, which can't happen with 15.7

If I can't find 15.4 for Windows 10, do you think 15.4 for Windows 8.1 would work? I'm first and foremost concerned with keeping BF4 running in Mantle mode, which can't happen with 15.7

why so concerned about mantle in BF4?. DX11 have better performance anyway with no degradation overtime...

what are you smoking?

Mantle is way faster and smoother faster than DX11 in BF4

what are you smoking?

Mantle is way faster and smoother faster than DX11 in BF4

I can see Araxie point of view...I could have swore all the latest tests were showing dx showing better performance in general but certain cards did do a bit better in mantle...What was it the tahiti's favored mantle and hawaii and newer favored dx
Personally running just one card i really havent noticed a huge difference one way or the other..but i admit..... when im playing im just trying to have fun

Crap, they haven't fixed the BF4 Mantle TDR crash yet. So I guess I'm stuck with Windows 8 and Catalyst 15.4 until they do

I never could get mantle to run stably with eyefinity and crossfire both enabled. It crashed constantly. It would only behave under DX11.

I can see Araxie point of view...I could have swore all the latest tests were showing dx showing better performance in general but certain cards did do a bit better in mantle...What was it the tahiti's favored mantle and hawaii and newer favored dx
Personally running just one card i really havent noticed a huge difference one way or the other..but i admit..... when im playing im just trying to have fun

might be the other way around. mantle is better on hawaii than tahiti.

might be the other way around. mantle is better on hawaii than tahiti.

you can ask even to kayle or brent if you want.. that's the main reason they test BF4 under DX11 because it show better gaming performance and experience than Mantle.. :p

dunno, it was always better for me in mantle in EVERY game that had it, including BF4.

and thats with a 290 and a 4790K at 4.6GHZ.

Yeah, I have a 7970, and it works way better with Mantle. I think the 285 and later are where the quality of the drivers for Mantle starts to fall behind.

But anyway, do you guys think I could actually install 15.4 for Windows 8.1 inside Windows 10? At least for the short term?

dunno, it was always better for me in mantle in EVERY game that had it, including BF4.

and thats with a 290 and a 4790K at 4.6GHZ.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/8#.Vbp7j6iqpBc

Brent said:
Since Battlefield 4 also supports the Mantle API we ran tests in both Mantle and DX11 to find out which API provided the highest performance above. In our testing it was determined that DX11 provided the best performance. These are the results we got in Mantle, just for comparison sake.

IDK but certainly I have worse performance with Mantle in BF4 and Thief with my 280X.

of course you can....only thing that could be a problem on day is windows updating the amd driver...but there are currently workarounds to keep that from happening, if it becomes an issue.

i've tried installing 15.4 and 15.7 Windows 7 and 8.1 drivers in windows 10 fresh install and I was unable to run it properly. immediately after restart popped a "no AMD Graphics Driver Found" in the CCC.

IDK but certainly I have worse performance with Mantle in BF4 and Thief with my 280X.

thats pretty strange, theif was like a new game for me with mantle, it was amazing the difference.

were you using windows 7 or 8?. my experience its only in win 7. 4 different machines including 2 AMD FX chips.

then its weird.. Most people I know have issues with mantle and BF4 with heavy performance degradation overtime... in Thief I had severe stuttering with lower frames in some scenes versus running the same scene at DX.. I guessed I could had a bad installation or issue with my machine but i was able to reproduce those issues with 4 machines.. (and certainly the process of install/unistall cards and drivers are really bored and long so i've just stopped to use mantle after the fourth intent with a FX8350@5ghz)

:confused:

Thief using Mantle is simply amazing on my 280x cards. Mantle tripled my Minimum FPS and responsiveness is phenomenal no other game I've played on PC comes remotely close to the responsiveness of this game.

Makes it a completely better experience in every way. Actually makes me look forward to VR games being this responsive using async shaders.

Well.. probably in xfire things are different. But a single 280X with a 4.7ghz 3770k I doubt I'll receive that kind of performance gains for minimum FPS...

Well.. probably in xfire things are different. But a single 280X with a 4.7ghz 3770k I doubt I'll receive that kind of performance gains for minimum FPS...

From what I remember, even single card the difference in minimum fps is very significant. But the main difference is especially the smoothness, pixel smooth. I can check and rerun a benchmark later when I'm at my rig.

From what I remember, even single card the difference in minimum fps is very significant. But the main difference is especially the smoothness, pixel smooth. I can check and rerun a benchmark later when I'm at my rig.

i'll appreciate it, Im downloading the game right now so we can make couple of comparisons.. i've swapped out my personal 980TI to a worker rig so im able to have enough time to test the 280X with my personal rig.. =)..

Just tried mantle in BF4 white out...holy shit it was terrible, but it was during the storm if it even matters. Switched to dx and came back in and double the fps (maybe that storm and vsr is a huge perf hit).....think ill just stay with dx. but i have to test this one some more to really say for sure...i am using the vsr and frame limit of 75.

Last edited:
i am using the vsr and frame limit of 75.

There's your problem, you're probably exceeding your card's VRAM. That's the one thing about Mantle, it does use significantly more VRAM in exchange for better overall performance.

Type in Render.DrawScreenInfo into the command console. It'll probably show you exceeding your 3GB. When you do that, it becomes a stutterfest.

And Battlefield has it's own resolution scaler built in, so you don't need to use VSR in the first place. Probably would still use too much VRAM.

So has anyone on the forum actually installed Windows 8.1 Catalyst drivers in windows 10? Just looking for a couple people to confirm that it works.

There's your problem, you're probably exceeding your card's VRAM. That's the one thing about Mantle, it does use significantly more VRAM in exchange for better overall performance.

Type in Render.DrawScreenInfo into the command console. It'll probably show you exceeding your 3GB. When you do that, it becomes a stutterfest.

And Battlefield has it's own resolution scaler built in, so you don't need to use VSR in the first place. Probably would still use too much VRAM.

you know what...i hadn't played in a week...i bet i had both on:D wow lol...yea that would do it
Capture_zps37yy0zwc.png

Wonder what resolution it use with these idiotic settings?lol

Last edited:
I just moved to Win10 and installed these, but I haven't got to try anything other than web browsing.

I didn't even know anyone played BF4 any more, I gave up on that piece of crap long ago. Only Mantle game I play otherwise is DA:I and it is absolutely mind-bogglingly terrible in that game, level load times can exceed 5 minutes at 4K while it is instant under DX11. Then you just crash after a few minutes anyway if you were patient enough to let it load (also, don't try the built-in benchmark in mantle... oh no you don't want to do that).

you know what...i hadn't played in a week...i bet i had both on:D wow lol...yea that would do it

Yeah, you definitely passed your VRAM budget quite a bit. But honestly, your CPU is such a beast that you probably don't dip below 75fps anyway. So maybe you should stick with DX11 and take advantage of the VRAM headroom. If you had a 120hz monitor then you could take advantage of Mantle.

Mantle does have better framepacing in general (you can see it with perfoverlay.drawgraph) but I'm not sure how noticeable it is in gameplay.

Anyways back to the subject at hand...Im finding the frame limiter is working much better now, because im not getting any tearing anymore. On the previous 15.7 it would show 75fps max in the frame counter but it looked like the worst tearing i have ever seen....So far i have yet to see this happen on the .1 revision.

Well, finally tried benchmarking Thief... Unfortunately the game & cards are installed on the system I am trying out Windows 10 on and am crashing before I can complete the benchmark run. Never had this issue before, so I'd guess this is something to do with Win 10. Will see if I have time this weekend to install game on a Win 7 system & cards.

I did some more testing with mantle and bf4 and it worked very well this time. For me it seemed to work better using the vsr over the built in slider. All and all seemed to perform about the same as dx...but a bit smoother with higher min fps and lower max fps. Ill keep testing since it seems fine as long as i'm not trying to do 4k resolution. Speaking of which ill run gpuz to see how it compares vram wise in comparison.

I did some more testing with mantle and bf4 and it worked very well this time. For me it seemed to work better using the vsr over the built in slider. All and all seemed to perform about the same as dx...but a bit smoother with higher min fps and lower max fps. Ill keep testing since it seems fine as long as i'm not trying to do 4k resolution. Speaking of which ill run gpuz to see how it compares vram wise in comparison.

I'm curious about this as well. The few times I've tried Mantle in BF4 over the last couple months it was not a pleasant experience. Sustained framerates were good, nice and responsive, but I was getting nasty stutters on the rate of a few per minute. From what I remember with Mantle back in the winter months, it ran a lot better than this.

I would really like to switch back because when it ran right, it was great - the lower frametimes made it feel very responsive. Maybe they changed some stuff and I need to re-tune my settings to get those stutters smoothed out, but previously I was able to use the same exact settings between DX/Mantle and Mantle was the clear winner.

Anyone get "ATI EEU PnP start/stop failed" errors in their event log? I didn't get these until I did a clean install of Windows 10, now there is two of these errors every reboot.

Back