AMD Catalyst 15.3 Beta Driver for Windows OS

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
Hello everyone,

Click here to download the driver.

Driver Highlights:

AMD Freesync™ Support for single GPU product configurations:

AMD Freesync technology support is now available for single GPU configurations. For more information on how Freesync works, FAQ's and what products are currently supported, please visit the Freesync Technology Page.

Please refer to the screenshot below for how to enable FreeSync within Catalyst Control Center.

m1Hvco4.jpg

Mixed Rotation Eyefinity now available on Radeon™ R9 285 series
AMD Radeon™ R9 285 now supports Mixed Rotation Eyefinity for "0" and "90" degrees rotations

More information is available at the following link.

In addition this release includes new Crossfire profiles for:

Battlefield Hardline
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Lords of the Fallen
Project Cars
Total War: Attila

Furthermore, this release includes improved Crossfire profiles for:

Alien Isolation
Assassin's Creed Unity
Civilization - Beyond Earth
FIFA 2015
Grid Autosport
Ryse: Son of Rome
Talos Principle
The Crew

For instructions on how to uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, you may refer to the following support resources:

How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

Please make sure to read the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections to learn more about this version of the driver and use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs – Thank you!

Resolved Issues:
Screens may blank out when enabling a 3x1 SLS with 3 HDMI monitors
Leadwerks : Project Manager crashes with a "Pure Virtual Function Call" error
Second Life : Rigged mesh objects are not rendered correctly when hardware skinning is enabled in the in game settings
Star Trek Online : Block corruption is experienced when MSAA is enabled in the in game settings
System hangs/BSOD upon resuming from S3/S4 sleep on AMD Radeon™ R9 285 configured in AMD CrossFire™ mode
With AMD CrossFire™ enabled, Timeout Detection Recovery (TDR) occurs during actual gameplay when YouTube Mix moves to the next song in Firefox
Screen tearing on enabling VSync with Alien: Isolation game
Catalyst Control Center Video Quality settings may not be available or retained if the "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" option is not selected on some AMD HD series GPU's.
Primary display may not be retained after disabling Crossfire while in Eyefinity mode
Enabling or disabling Crossfire may lead to one side of the 4K MST display being shown as black
Minor stuttering may be seen in Dragon Age Inquisition on Single and Multi GPU configurations​
Total War : Attilla - The game may hang during in game cinematics on certain Kaveri platforms with a separate discrete GPU
The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim : Fog / Clouds may flicker on Radeon HD 5800 series products

Important Note:
The AMD CrossFire™ profile for Dying Light is currently disabled in this driver while AMD works with Techland to investigate an issue where AMD CrossFire configurations are not performing as intended. An update is expected on this issue in the near future through an updated game patch or an AMD driver posting.

Known Issues:
Lord of Fallen : Flickering may be observed during gameplay on some 3D monitors
FIFA 2015 : On a limited number of AMD APU + AMD GPU configurations a crash may be experienced if the "No Limit on FPS" game option is enabled
Dragon Age inquisition : Random game crashes may be experienced in Mantle mode
The Catalyst Control Center may hang when using the 'Check for Updates" option
Battlefield 4 : Screen tearing / Stutter may be experienced in Three way Crossfire setup in Eyefinity mode
A black screen may be experienced when attempting to enable Eyefinity after changing the display mode (Portrait, Landscape)
Pull down detection fails to lock in Metro Video playback applications
A system restart or hang may be observed on sleep/resume while transcoding video with Media Espresso
Battlefield Hardline : Changing resolution from low to high and enabling Vsync may result in intermittent corruption and stutter. Restarting the game is a temporary solution to the problem
Some 5K displays may experience flickering on some AMD E-Series APU's
Frame drops may be experienced with Blu-Ray playback on certain AMD Kaveri APU's when connected to 5K displays
Total War: Attila - The game may randomly restart when first launched
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Intermittent flickering may be observed when accessing the in game menu
Battlefield Hardline: The game may crash when launched on R9 285 series products with Crossfire and Mantle enabled
Battlefield Hardline: The game may crash on first launch when in High Performance mode
Freesync does not work after hotplugging the display with Windows Aero (DWM) off
A temporary workaround is to toggle Windows Aero on/off or by restarting Windows
Freesync is not enabled in Diablo III unless Vsync is enabled in the game
A temporary workaround is to enable Vsync in the game

Thanks. Looking forward to evolve and fc4 crossfire support. Will report back later with results.

:) Yay!

Going to try these later.

One comment, there is a know issue with DA:I crashes with Mantle, what about the extremely long load times issue?

No crossfire support for freesync? Same as eyefinity on launch...same as frame pacing on launch. Lessons learned? :confused:

I can finally play FC4 on my 290 CF set up the day I'm switching them out for Titans

This did not like my 7970's with Dell U3011 and 2007FP's on PLP. It locked my portrait monitors to an out of range resolution and would not display. They were detected in Windows, and CCC, but I would not change the resolution to get them working. I tried 4 installs with cleaning with a cleaner and still no luck.

I can finally play FC4 on my 290 CF set up the day I'm switching them out for Titans

you could have played fc4 with crossfire for like ever, if you bothered to search for a fix, there are plenty out there.

I've been playing fc4 with crossfire 290's since DAY one. just loaded made a custom .exe exception based on the far cry 3 crossfire profile....

anyways thanks for the new driver! Will be waiting for the whql though.

This did not like my 7970's with Dell U3011 and 2007FP's on PLP. It locked my portrait monitors to an out of range resolution and would not display. They were detected in Windows, and CCC, but I would not change the resolution to get them working. I tried 4 installs with cleaning with a cleaner and still no luck.

AFAIK, PLP is only supported on the 285.

you could have played fc4 with crossfire for like ever, if you bothered to search for a fix, there are plenty out there.

I've been playing fc4 with crossfire 290's since DAY one. just loaded made a custom .exe exception based on the far cry 3 crossfire profile....

anyways thanks for the new driver! Will be waiting for the whql though.
The community shouldn't have to do AMD's job.
But I guess it's good for people to have options.

The community shouldn't have to do AMD's job.
But I guess it's good for people to have options.

but isn't that the history of ATI/AMD?.. it will never end.. RadeonPRO or the first Catalyst omega custom driver modded several years ago..?

anyway to continue with the theme, i've just installed the drivers.. no problems so far....

Drivers are installed and working for me. FC4 is working without having to use a custom profile, as well as evolve. No installation errors, are any other weird issues. A pretty solid release as far as my limited use shows.

PLP Eyefinity! If Tonga (R9 285) has it, you can bet Fiji will have it. :)

P.S: The link Sam posted is broken, here is the correct one: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Mixed-Mode-Eyefinity-Support-for-R9285.aspx

The Catalyst 15.3 Beta Driver release introduces Mixed Rotation Eyefinity Support.

Mixed Rotation Eyefinity refers to a configuration with the following layout:

Portrait - Landscape - Portrait (PLP)

An example of PLP Mixed Rotation Eyefinity is shown in the picture below:

plp2.JPG

This feature is supported with the following limitations:

Only available on Radeon™ R9 285 products
Only "0" and "90" degrees rotations as pictured above are supported.

PLP Eyefinity would have been nice 2 years ago. Now that we have Ultra-Wide displays, not so much.

Installed fine. Seems to be working good, same as before. No complaints that I can see.

can anyone else confirm a worse performance in Watch Dogs?. at least in my case.. I suffered a great performance hit with this drivers, about 8-10FPS... IDK if its part of any optimization, the game feel smoother than before in some parts but with lower FPS..

can anyone else confirm a worse performance in Watch Dogs?. at least in my case.. I suffered a great performance hit with this drivers, about 8-10FPS... IDK if its part of any optimization, the game feel smoother than before in some parts but with lower FPS..

The real question is....why would anyone be playing watch dogs?

The real question is....why would anyone be playing watch dogs?

sorry for this, but its not your business what game can or should I play.. ;) I was just reporting a performance drop in that game with the 15.3Beta Drivers I wasn't asking for advice if I should play watch dogs or not..

Here's an issue introduced with the omega drivers which has NOT been fixed :

On dual graphics laptop (A8-3500M & 6620G), there is a boot up and random freezes. Only way to go around it is to disable sleep mode on the discrete GPU, but it makes the laptop hot as hell. Reported last time, guess nobody read the report so I'm posting it here.

Back to 14.4 for the laptop.

It says there's an improved Crossfire profile for Assassin's Creed: Unity, anyone try this out yet?

some have had good luck, others not

YMMV.

i realize thats not particularily helpful, but thats what ive seen on other boards.

Skipping, the 14.12's have been great for me. Esp since the major BF4 patch fixed the memory leak a few weeks back.

I found that under desktop properties, when I have my 2007 Dell monitors hooked up, it will not give me the 1600x1200 resolution. This locks out Windows from changing this setting. The driver recognizes monitor correctly and shows that it can do that resolution, but I can't change it to that.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you have good performance and stability, no reason to update.

^This^

I am not playing the latest games currently because of work and such. BF4/Mantle/Crossfire has had a bad memory leak since June of 2014, the last patch fixed it and my performance is great now. As the 390's begint to come out in June, AMD tends to forget their last generation of cards. I am hoping that the 14.12's hold up to upcoming games later this year, because Quadfire users are a very limited group and driver updates that work for them are kept for a longtime.

^This^

I am not playing the latest games currently because of work and such. BF4/Mantle/Crossfire has had a bad memory leak since June of 2014, the last patch fixed it and my performance is great now. As the 390's begint to come out in June, AMD tends to forget their last generation of cards. I am hoping that the 14.12's hold up to upcoming games later this year, because Quadfire users are a very limited group and driver updates that work for them are kept for a longtime.

You must of been talking about on windows 8 because BF4/Mantle/Crossfire has not had a memory leak since November on windows 7 and that on my 3x290 and my 3x7950s.

Edit: just looked at your sig, windows 8 indeed.

I have these installed on my machine. No issues so far, everything works as expected. Evolve performance is significantly better with CrossFire, you should definitely install these if you are playing Evolve :)

Is VSR going to work on Tahiti cards? I'm not playing newer games so my 7970s are powerful enough for me for the time being.

Anyone that was having black screen issues install these?
On the Omega drivers I was receiving a very intermittent black screen still, maybe once every week or so. I haven't had any yet on 15.3 but I have only had them installed a few days.

Is VSR going to work on Tahiti cards? I'm not playing newer games so my 7970s are powerful enough for me for the time being.
Yes, I believe support is planned for a future driver release.

Regarding VSR, some Windows 10 drivers, modded to work for we Windows 8.1 users, have been made available in a thread at Guru3D.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397877

As I said there,
Thanks!
So far, so good, I loaded up Batman Arkham Asylum, and a Crysis 2 benchmark, and these drivers, with VSR enabled, are working and I was able to select 2560 x 1440 as a resolution. I did what was instructed except I installed on top of the latest beta drivers.

I have a HD 7950, and I'm on Windows 8.1.

Edit: I enabled Test Mode before installation, and I disabled Test Mode after installation and the reboot. One more reboot is required for Test Mode to be disabled, and for the message by the Action Center to go away.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553484(v=vs.85).aspx
So, this is qualifies as being for Advanced Users, and I'd copy down those commands, or bookmark that page, if taking the plunge. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
haha, wow, STILL getting mouse cursor/pointer corruption. In fact, worse than ever. It lasted for about 15 minutes (in the past, it has been for about a minute, before clearing up). It Even persisted from the desktop, into Pillars of Eternity.

Back