AMD Catalyst 14.9 Driver for Windows & Linux out now

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
Hello everyone,

The Catalyst 14.9 Driver for Windows & Linux is out now; click one the corresponding link below to visit the site and to download it:

• Windows (64-bit)
• Windows (32-bit)
• Linux

As with earlier versions, please use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs and make sure to read the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections (in the Release Notes page) to learn more about this driver.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone,

I have an important update for you regarding random installation hangs, BSODs and CCC crashes some of you have experienced after installing this version of our driver. We are aware of these issues and will be posting an updated driver as soon as it becomes available. Please read this article for more information: “Intermittent Installation Issues With the AMD Catalyst™ 14.9 Driver”.

Thank you again for posting your feedback here, and more importantly for using our Issue Reporting Form.

Last edited:
Do we have to resubmit the bugs that haven't been fixed nor are mentioned in the known issues that we submitted using the previous form?

◾Watch Dogs
◾AMD Radeon R9 290 Series / R9 270 Series – improves up to 9%
◾AMD CrossFire – Frame pacing improvement
◾Improved CrossFire performance – up to 20%

:eek:...?

Note the performance improvements are compared to 14.4 not 14.7 RC3 which may have already included most of these improvements

Performance improvements (comparing AMD Catalyst 14.9 vs. AMD Catalyst 14.4)

Note the performance improvements are compared to 14.4 not 14.7 RC3 which may have already included most of these improvements

worth this to install brent?. i have my machine busy right now and im kinda lazy to be uninstalling/installing drivers... im using 14.7 RC3 with my 280X..

I just installed it on my 290X for gaming... Why not, newest thing, I always got to have the newest thing :p

yeah I thought the same and im actually downloading to test..

◾Watch Dogs
◾AMD Radeon R9 290 Series / R9 270 Series – improves up to 9%
◾AMD CrossFire – Frame pacing improvement
◾Improved CrossFire performance – up to 20%

:eek:...?

It might be nice to have Crossfire work correctly or close to correctly. After going dual R290's and seeing how little compatibility that there was I wish that I had gone with just one and then put $500 in a piggy bank to wait a year and a half and then purchase an updated card.

Working good so far, but it took 1 fully clean reinstall.. because the card was detected as an HD7970 major flickering in google chrome even with Hardware acceleration OFF.. clean reinstall and done.. its working good.. im busy right now but going to test tonight gaming..

Worth the install for me all day, first release since 13.12 that had working bezel compensation in portrait.

I had smooth CX performance with 14.4 on my 7950's in BF 4 and War Thunder with windows 8.1 and the Xeon X5660.. so 20% would be awesome but I broke the set up and trolling a 770GTX now in World of Tanks..

badly screen flickering in Batman Arkham Origins.. just in menu the game have random flicker and also ingame... are random are sporadic but sometimes the game just crash after a flicker.. so well... have to submit a new report form.. =D..

AMD Mantle enhancements
Mantle now supports AMD Mobile products with Enduro technology
Battlefield 4: AMD Radeon HD 8970M (1366x768; high settings) – 21% gain
Thief: AMD Radeon HD 8970M (1920x1080; high settings) – 14% gain
Star Swarm: AMD Radeon HD 8970M (1920x1080; medium settings) – 274% gain
Enables support for Multi-GPU configurations with Thief (requires the latest Thief update)

That sounds exciting ;) . Warsam can you tell us if this driver is intended to be installed for the new BF4 patch that is due on 30 September?

Btw the download link under Opera 12.17 gives this error http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/incomplete

badly screen flickering in Batman Arkham Origins.. just in menu the game have random flicker and also ingame... are random are sporadic but sometimes the game just crash after a flicker.. so well... have to submit a new report form.. =D..

I have to answer myself.. after reading fully the release notes I founder under the Known Issues [401289]: Flashing lights in Batman Arkham Origins game main menu I have to keep waiting i guess in the meanwhile just play Batman in my secondary machine with Nvidia GPU to avoid the constant crashing caused by flickering and image corruption..

Why no improvements for the 280X :(

its an ancient card from 2011.. AMD will not care about us they want to replace 280 and 280X with 285 and 285X so we have EOL cards.. :D

Well this was interesting...

My 7970 has been stuck at PCIE 2.0 x8 for I don't know how long (I just noticed it 2 drivers ago [including the last beta before this release]) and it's now at x16 again. I thought my CPU had gone bad for awhile there...

its an ancient card from 2011.. AMD will not care about us they want to replace 280 and 280X with 285 and 285X so we have EOL cards.. :D

well....2011 isnt exactly correct--offf by two years. 280x came out in the fall of 2013. Also the 280x was guaranteed to be FULLY supported by AMD passed DX12. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On subject, was 1/2 pleased w/the driver's performance. Worked well on smaller scales such as DOTA. Huge 3D environments manifested what looked like....microstutter??? Only term that accurately describes the issue. 14.7B runs smooth across all genres so far and will be switching back after a decent nap. Too tired after fiddling w/CCC for two hours in attempts to replicate the 14.7's. I too was anxious to see the "boosts" in performance mentioned for 14.9. Any1 having complete success w/this driver and the 280x?? Until some more definitive answers submit Ill have to say it might not be worth swapping from 14.7B for now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this didn't ad any extra support for 4k monitors over hdmi like the nvidia drivers did over 1.4

This driver broke the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, It just displays 4:2:2 even when I set it to 4:4:4. Also with EDID editing, it doesn't work. Back to 14.4 WHQL for me.

I have 4 x 290's. 2 of them are 290 non X's and 2 of them are the ones I bought brand new zero day at lauch, the 290x BF4 editions.

Let me say this ......... it's not worth the cost and the hassle of running Tri-Fire. 80% of the games out there with Tri-Fire setups down-grade in performance vs just running 1 card. And the heat becomes almost incredible under the desk. That's my experience.

I love AMD .... but

Now, X-fire with 2 cards seems good.

well....2011 isnt exactly correct--offf by two years. 280x came out in the fall of 2013. Also the 280x was guaranteed to be FULLY supported by AMD passed DX12.

I don't think so.. AMD left out of the market the R9 280 by launching the R9 285 and they will launch soon a R9 285X to replace the R9 280X.. I was referring to the fact that the 280X its the same HD7970 launched in December 2011 - January 2012. the drivers are already too mature for those cards and the margin for improvement are just really low..

Haven't played myself yet, but reports are that this new driver + new BF4 patch *still* don't fix the memory leak issue.

Not sure why I am surprised, frankly...

I'm totally not surprised, I gave up on Mantle 270x CF a long time ago for BF4. My 970 is rock solid and never dips below 80fps on Ultra which is where I oc'd my monitor to. I am NO fanboi, have owned everything from Rage Pro 128, 5870's, 290's to S3 Virge, 7800gt's sli, 780's and I have to say, Maxwell 2.0 is AMAZBALLS. I love it, OC'ing to 1.5GHZ is outstanding. AMD better have something trick up their sleeves man.

I'm totally not surprised, I gave up on Mantle 270x CF a long time ago for BF4. My 970 is rock solid and never dips below 80fps on Ultra which is where I oc'd my monitor to. I am NO fanboi, have owned everything from Rage Pro 128, 5870's, 290's to S3 Virge, 7800gt's sli, 780's and I have to say, Maxwell 2.0 is AMAZBALLS. I love it, OC'ing to 1.5GHZ is outstanding. AMD better have something trick up their sleeves man.

After having nothing but trouble with my old 5870 CFX, I swore off AMD, at least for multi-card. Had no problems at all with my 580 SLI or my 690. I was tempted by mantle and decided to give 290x CFX a shot. Ugh, nothing but issues. Never again (although I always say that).

Locks up my CS GO every single time and hard locks the system now. I'm going to have to roll back..

Catalyst control center host crash every fucking time I close control panel with these.

No improvements for Mordor?

XSmyv00.jpg

Ran a fast and dirty benchmark at 1440p

Last edited:
These drivers render my Rift DK2 completely useless. On 14.8, everything works as expected. However as soon as I install these I get a black screen on all attached monitors when I enable the Rift. Hard reset and disconnecting the Rift is the only way back to a working system.

These drivers tanked my framerates in Archeage. Clean installed them a 2nd time, no dice. Going to drop back to 14.4 for now.

5870 on a X6 1090T. Was running solid on the 14.4 driver.

Hello everyone,

Please use the Issue Reporting Form I mentioned in my OP to report bugs or issues you're experiencing with this version of our driver. As you may have noticed, we've made a few changes to the form; you will receive a notification email confirming that we have received your submission as well as provide you contact information for additional help. You will need to provide your email address when filling out the Issuer Reporting Form.

These drivers allow Mantle to be enabled in Sniper Elite 3. Rebellion announced that they are working on an alternative to AFR in Mantle CrossfireX where one card renders geometry for example and another renders the rest of the scene. That's for the future, but still neat that AMD is adding in new features to Mantle.

@Warsam71. You should tell whomever at AMD to announce when they are working on new features like Rebellion announced. Tech website readers like news like that.

Installed 14.9, played a few different games for day or two, last night WoW froze in the middle of a raid. Never had this issue with 14.4 in the last 2 months.

Hi, please make sure to read the update (and article) I just provided in my OP. Thank you!

These drivers allow Mantle to be enabled in Sniper Elite 3. Rebellion announced that they are working on an alternative to AFR in Mantle CrossfireX where one card renders geometry for example and another renders the rest of the scene. That's for the future, but still neat that AMD is adding in new features to Mantle.

@Warsam71. You should tell whomever at AMD to announce when they are working on new features like Rebellion announced. Tech website readers like news like that.

Hello cageymaru,

You know, it's my fault, I should have created a new thread about Rebellion's announcement for you, the HardForum community. To be completely honest with you I just moved from California to Texas and just now got my internet service activated. I hope you understand; I apologize.

That being said, and without going to much off topic, here is a link to the blog we just released today: From a developer: Rebellion on Sniper Elite III & Mantle (You'll notice the content is similar to the article you have already shared).

I hope you'll find the above helpful.

Back