AMD Catalyst 14.9.1 Beta Driver for Windows out now

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
Hello everyone,

Thanks to your cooperation and thorough feedback we’ve successfully resolved the random crashes (or hangs), and the intermittent black screen on reboot (BSOD) issues after installing Catalyst 14.9 Driver.

These issues were not encountered by everyone, but certain combinations of software/hardware made some people unlucky victims. We truly appreciate your detailed comments, your patience, and your willingness to help.

Click here to download Catalyst 14.9.1 Beta Driver for Windows and use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs.

Please read the Feature Highlights and Known Issues sections to learn more about this version of the driver.

More importantly, you can stay with Catalyst 14.9 Driver (WHQL) if you’re not affected by any of the issues resolved in this version of the driver.

Can the internal bug track AMD uses be opened to the public, even if it's to view only?

impressed by the just one week patch for those who are having those specifically problems.. good job this time..

Can the internal bug track AMD uses be opened to the public, even if it's to view only?

You cant really think they are going to do that do you?

this isnt open source, its a company, they aren't going to expose this information that could negatively impact buying decisions.

As usual issues with my main card :/ This time 7990 problems. Getting tired of AMD, might have to jump back to Nvidia for the first time since my 7800 gtx KO

Thanks for letting us know.

I know my life was on hold waiting for you to make this momentous decision.

now, watch that door...

As usual issues with my main card :/ This time 7990 problems. Getting tired of AMD, might have to jump back to Nvidia for the first time since my 7800 gtx KO

To be fair your statement is so general that even if people could help you it wouldn't be possible because you give them no option for finding out which problems and or how to fix them.
To post them in a driver thread is so unfair as well because you plainly do not want help you want to rant/vent and pretend that AMD is the onlly company which have driver issues.

If you checked the other forum you would know this is not the case.

Useful timing, allowed me to give AMD one last chance to see if I can get MST working with the 290X before the RMA - no such luck, GTX970 on its way to me now :D

I think really four drivers, two complete reinstalls, two separate PCs with entirely different hardware configs, two different physical cards and two different monitors is enough of a valid test sample to say that if it doesn't work now, almost a whole year after the release of both the graphics cards and the monitors it clearly isn't ever going to work. Here's hoping nvidia make a better job of things... (Oh and before anyone gives me the UP3214Q design flaw spiel, it worked perfectly for 9 months with two HD6970s, so that clearly isn't true).

Last edited:
These installed, but show up as 14.6 RC.. no idea... I've had it with these, rolling back and waiting till next driver... Lucky I'm not shopping right now.

Last edited:
Installed this driver, within 20 minutes this happened to my desktop. All I did was close Windows Media Center, the screen flickered, and it was stuck like this:

Quality is poor because I had to take a photo of the screen (the problem doesn't show up in screenshots). The system is still running, but ALL display output is wrapped horizontally. The wrapped section on the left has pretty bad scan-line artifacts, as well.

Only fix is a reboot, but the problem eventually comes back. This has been an issue for over 3 years now, wonder if AMD will ever get around to fixing it...

Last edited:
Took a chance w.the 14.9.1 & so far so good. CCC loads slightly faster than 14.7B; framrates across various 3D apps have improved also. Thx for the swift fixes. Unknown-One idk three years same issue might be something other than a driver.....just sayin:confused:

Installed this driver, within 20 minutes this happened to my desktop. All I did was close Windows Media Center, the screen flickered, and it was stuck like this:

Quality is poor because I had to take a photo of the screen (the problem doesn't show up in screenshots). The system is still running, but ALL display output is wrapped horizontally. The wrapped section on the left has pretty bad scan-line artifacts, as well.

Only fix is a reboot, but the problem eventually comes back. This has been an issue for over 3 years now, wonder if AMD will ever get around to fixing it...

try deleting manually all the older drivers folders in the AMD folder (C:\ as default) just keep the beta or the WHQL.. i had some kind of similar problems until deleted all the older folders..

Also i going to report that FrameTimes are horrible with 14.9 and vsync in every game I play I have to use frame limiter to have a smooth game play.. (special mention to Skyrim)..

And that is happening in WMC only?
It happens at random. The thing that seems to trigger it is display-mode switching.

It's easiest to trigger with Windows Media Center because you can pop it in-and-out of Full Screen mode in rapid succession, but exiting a game has caused the same thing to happen on multiple occasions.

Hello Kazzanova,

Please make sure to check out the "Important Notes" section of the driver's page. You'll notice we've included a fix for customers who own the HD-7990 GPUs:

"Users of dual AMD Radeon™ HD 7990 in AMD Crossfire™ mode should completely uninstall older versions of Catalyst™ drivers from "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows Control Panel before installing the AMD Catalyst™ 14.9.1 Beta. If users of this graphics configuration are still having issues after taking these steps when installing the AMD Catalyst™ 14.9.1 Beta please use the AMD Catalyst™ 14.7 drivers"

Please give the above a try and let us know how it goes if you don't mind.

try deleting manually all the older drivers folders in the AMD folder (C:\ as default) just keep the beta or the WHQL.. i had some kind of similar problems until deleted all the older folders..
Been down that road. Even ran Driver Fusion just to be sure.

No dice, jut had it happen again. Closed out of StarCraft II, screen flickered, then it was stuck wrapped and distorted.

These flat out refuse to install on my machine. Get through the installer, uncheck that awful "Gaming Evolved" app, screens go blank.. never come back... ever.

Had to manually restart, and the old drivers are still in effect, thankfully. Tried twice so far.

Last edited:
Black screen during install. Did a hard reset, my monitor goes to sleep once windows loads.

Was this the issue with 14.9 WHQL? If so I think I'm just going to avoid those and go back to the 14.4 or whatever I was using last.

I will give this update a try. I can't play BF4 with my 7970 for more than a minute with 14.9. I get a hardlock and the red screen of death forcing me to reboot.

I was also hoping it would fix the issue 14.9 introduced with Lightboost, but nope.
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Strobelight-LightBoost-Utility-for-AMD-ATI-and-NVIDIA?pid=3022#pid3022

EDIT: Nope still crashing, this AMD experiment is annoying. Time to go back to Nvidia.

You have an overclocked Iintel system ?

I will give this update a try. I can't play BF4 with my 7970 for more than a minute with 14.9. I get a hardlock and the red screen of death forcing me to reboot.

I was also hoping it would fix the issue 14.9 introduced with Lightboost, but nope.
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Strobelight-LightBoost-Utility-for-AMD-ATI-and-NVIDIA?pid=3022#pid3022

EDIT: Nope still crashing, this AMD experiment is annoying. Time to go back to Nvidia.

RED screen is CPU/Ram voltage issue.
not the gpu.

This driver helped immensely with my fps stability in CS:GO. Thanks!

This driver causes my screen to randomly go black. Going back to previous driver version since it was more stable for me.

This also occurs at stock clocks for the CPU and RAM so they're not the problem here.

Had issues with 14.9 on R9 290X/Windows Pro 8.1 x64/VC++ 2012 update 4 where BF4 slows down significantly after extended play with BF4. Got white screen BF4 crash with VC++ 2012 update 3. Also, uninstall took a while and ran into video card has recovered message (first time ever happening with uninstall).

14.9.1 beta appears to be solid so far but haven't tested uninstall.

Only suggestions are to not max out HDMI audio with every driver reinstall but perhaps use previous setting or default to mid level. And, maybe do a check for existing VC++ 2012 version and don't install older version if newer version exists. There are at least two newer releases than the AMD bundled version and this seems to affect BF4 stability and avoiding the app has stopped responding.

I finally got these working after the latest windows update(win7 x64), have no idea what they changed.

I still had to use the workaroundinstall=true in the cfg otherwise it would bsod when set to false.

Back