AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta Now Available

Yeah I remember thinking "is fraps off?"
Then I remembered that in [H]ardOCP's article they wrote about the fact that those programs were not compatible. Still thankfully BF4 has a decent internal FPS counter.

So if I am running crossfire 290's I should hold off on installing these?

BF4 is great with the driver... however it has completely ruined mining with my 290x in cgminer. I quick google produces similar results with 290x and cgminer.

Yeah I remember thinking "is fraps off?"
Then I remembered that in [H]ardOCP's article they wrote about the fact that those programs were not compatible. Still thankfully BF4 has a decent internal FPS counter.
Only problem with that is still haven't verified that the counter is counting properly via 3rd party.

Only problem with that is still haven't verified that the counter is counting properly via 3rd party.

You could verify it in DX mode and assume it works the same in Mantle mode. I suppose if someone believes in AMD conspiracy theories that won't be enough, so they'll have to wait for FCAT or Afterburner compatibility.

Last edited:
I don't own BF4 but on that Starswarm test I got an AVG of 25 FPS on DX and an AVG of 40 FPS on mantle. The min FPS was a lot higher on mantle.

Anandtech noted that with this driver in Eyefinity/CrossFire situations for the older 79xx / 280x cards, they have worked around the bandwidth limitation of the CrossFire bridge by sending data over the PCI-E bus just like the 290 series. I wonder how well this will work without the XDMA engine.

Is there any benefit to the amd 6xxx series cards? Obviously Mantle is out of the equation for me.

It is a Beta driver, one that everyone knows has issues starting with AMD, yet, everyone gets their panties in a bunch when it doesn't work butter smooth. It is a beta for a very new feature set/api, it is going to be broken. If you were happy with your performance before, why did you bother installing this at all until it was either official or had a couple of refreshes...

This is the exact reason why it is important to have a spare hard drive with a copy of Windows on it to play around with new things like this... Am I the only one that does this? All the irrational bitching and moaning about this just gross.

Thank you AMD for doing something different and trying to shake up the entire graphics and API community. Perhaps next time you can not set release dates on such things so you can just release it when it is done and people don't have a fucking bitch-fest when the things that were openly said to be broken... were broken for them...

Quit bitching...

You said it yourself... AMD did it to themselves

I gave the driver a test drive... and Un installed a hour later due to crashing and instability.

Rolled back the drivers, back stable.

AMD is starting to lose face by doing shit like this....

Not at all.

What they SHOULD do is create a password protected portal and allow allow people who ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT A BETA DRIVER IS to access it.

Nice big EULA with name signing every couple of lines to prove your read it and understand ITS A FUCKING BETA.

all this entitlement wah-wah, shit is broken, amd sucks garbage is ridiculous.

ITS A FUCKING BETA

if you dont like broken shit, dont intall it.

Not at all.

What they SHOULD do is create a password protected portal and allow allow people who ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT A BETA DRIVER IS to access it.

Nice big EULA with name signing to prove your read it and understand ITS A FUCKING BETA.

all this entitlement wah-wah, shit is broken, amd sucks garbage is ridiculous.

ITS A FUCKING BETA

if you dont like broken shit, dont intall it.

Its' a Beta, AMD themselves warned people that it's not ready for prime time or every day use. And yet people still bitch about it...wtf?

Back