AMD Catalyst 13.4 WHQL and AMD Catalyst 13.5 Beta

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD sends word that the new Catalyst 13.4 WHQL and Catalyst 13.5 Beta drivers are now available. The new AMD Catalyst 13.4 includes all of the latest performance optimizations and fixes available in AMD Catalyst 13.3 Beta 3, and is Microsoft logo certified. AMD Catalyst 13.5 Beta includes additional performance improvements and fixes not found in AMD Catalyst 13.4.

Release note for 13.4

Feature Highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 13.4

-Support added for AMD Radeon HD7790 and AMD Radeon HD 7990
-Catalyst Driver optimizations to improve performance in Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, and 3DMark
-Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution

Performance gains seen with the entire AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series for the following:
-Batman Arkham City (1920x1200): Performance improvements up to 5%
-Borderlands 2 (2560x1600): Performance improvements up to 10%
-Quake Wars (1920x1200): Performance improvements up to 13%
-Hitman Absolution (2560x1600): Performance improvements up to 11%
-Wolfenstein MP (1920x1080): Performance improvements up to 11%
-Civilization V (2560x1600): Performance improvements up to 5%

Resolved Issues
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD’s Catalyst™ Software Suite, AMD Catalyst™ 13.4

-With the Radeon HD7790 graphics card, corruption may be seen in the game Tomb Raider with TressFX enabled
-Texture flickering may be observed in DirectX 9.0c enabled applications
-Corruption observed in Tomb Raider with TressFX enabled for AMD Crossfire and single GPU system configurations
-Corruption observed on objects and textures in the game, Call of Duty – Black Ops 2
-Corruption observed in the game, Alan Wake (DirectX 9 Mode) when attempting to change in-game settings with Stereoscopic 3D using Tridef
-Corruption observed on textures in the game, Battle Field: Bad Company 2 with forced anti-aliasing enabled
-Adobe Photoshop CS6 experiences screen flicker under Windows 8 based system
-Horizontal line corruption may be observed with forced anti-aliasing enabled in the game, Dishonored
-System hang may occur when scrolling through the game selection menu in the game, DiRT 3
-F1 2012 may crash to desktop on systems supporting AMD PowerXpress (Enduro) Technology

Known Issues
The section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced with the AMD’s Catalyst™ Software Suite, AMD Catalyst™ 13.4

-Jumping artifacts, and unsmooth playback of interlaced clips may be experienced using Cyberlink’s Metro UI players
-A black screen may be observed when resuming from a S3/S4 sleep state if the display is unplugged during the sleep state on systems supported AMD PowerXpress (Enduro) Technology

I'd like some latency improvements in BF3 :0)
But I'll take what I can get.

But will it finally allow CrossfireX on the damn 6850s.... i'm sick of this shit using 12.10 drivers :(

My bad, got distracted. Basically my hashrate hit the floor on two separate setups (single 6950 and dual 7850). I thought it was a little strange so I started messing with GPU Caps Viewer(on both) and it wouldn't run any of the demos. I decided to try to go back to 13.1 on both and OpenCL was completed fucked. If you tried to load up GPU-Z it would say something along the lines of an OpenCL bug and anything that used OpenCL didn't work. I tried all the typical Driver Sweeper and re-installs(to 13.1) but it wouldn't work. It ended up taking AMD's Un-Install Utility to get 13.1 and everything set again.

Normally I would have thought it was isolated, but I found a thread with the same issue and it happened twice on two entirely different systems.

Last edited:
13.4 running fine for me. Ran the AMD cleanup utility rebooted and installed.

I should have mentioned as well, I hauled the dual 7850 system upstairs to test a game or two with 13.4 and it played them without issue.

Last edited:
ouch.still can pull over 600 with 7950. something else must be wrong?

My numbers seem to be in line from what I've been seeing with using GUIMiner Scrypt and they work perfectly with 13.1 so I think for now I'm just gonna stick with it. Perhaps I'll troll some LTC forums and see if I am noticing any more situations like mine.

The two systems these run on though are 100% different which is confusing me a tad.

EDIT:
This was the thread I read after I had the issue.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179608

Last edited:
Id like to report BF3 multiplayer with 7970 Tri Fire is super smooth with all in game max settings, getting anywhere from 90FPS to 200FPS on all maps
Crysis 3 everything maxed with 2XMSAA 55FPS to 90 FPS
Tomb Raider is running like a champ too
FARCRY 3 STILL SUCKS FOR CHOPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!! FIX THIS AMD YOU MOFOS!!!!!!!!!

my CPU is a 2600K @ 4800 Mhz

Id like to report BF3 multiplayer with 7970 Tri Fire is super smooth with all in game max settings, getting anywhere from 90FPS to 200FPS on all maps
Crysis 3 everything maxed with 2XMSAA 55FPS to 90 FPS
Tomb Raider is running like a champ too
FARCRY 3 STILL SUCKS FOR CHOPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!! FIX THIS AMD YOU MOFOS!!!!!!!!!

my CPU is a 2600K @ 4800 Mhz

Farcry 3 needs a game patch. It's been noted on a few other forums that the issues lie with the game.

Farcry 3 needs a game patch. It's been noted on a few other forums that the issues lie with the game.

Yeah the game had stuttering issues on my 670 as well. My 7970 with 13.2 betas ran smooth without anti-aliasing. AA in FC3 is so jacked up. You can use RadeonPro and SMAA and it is much better.

Radeon Pro set at 59FPS frame limiter gets rid of about 90% of the chopiness but everytime a map ends my system hangs and i need to ctrl/alt/delete to get out. This only happens when i run 3 video cards.

13.4 is running fine, but 13.5 beta gave me this:

ati-driver_13.5b_issue.jpg

My bad, got distracted. Basically my hashrate hit the floor on two separate setups (single 6950 and dual 7850). I thought it was a little strange so I started messing with GPU Caps Viewer(on both) and it wouldn't run any of the demos. I decided to try to go back to 13.1 on both and OpenCL was completed fucked. If you tried to load up GPU-Z it would say something along the lines of an OpenCL bug and anything that used OpenCL didn't work. I tried all the typical Driver Sweeper and re-installs(to 13.1) but it wouldn't work. It ended up taking AMD's Un-Install Utility to get 13.1 and everything set again.

Normally I would have thought it was isolated, but I found a thread with the same issue and it happened twice on two entirely different systems.

I ended up having to format my PC after having something similar happen. I decided to then try ccleaner and it was completely messed up. I am scared to update the previous drivers that now work correctly ever again.

Ok so I installed 13.4 and the cap1, Three monitor setup won't work anymore as I mentioned in another thread, and now I'm running 2 monitors on my dual ASUS 7970.

This is where the fun starts. If I do anything on the second monitor while running XBMC on the first, it becomes a fucking lag-fest.

It drops to 20 something FPS.

But I have to say that Unigine valley feels smoother, but I'm not benching 24/7, so this is totally unacceptable. I'm ditching these drivers ASAP.

Installed the 13.5 beta 2's on my CFX 7950's last night and I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing so far with performance. But I did discover something very strange while tweaking with my OC settings before bed.

My clocks are 1100/1575 on both cards with the previous 13.3 beta 3's and the 13.5 beta 2. With the 13.3 beta 3's, I had to have 1.206V in order to keep them stable. With the 13.5 beta 2's however, I've dropped the voltage down 1.168V while keeping the clocks at 1100/1575 and it appears to be very stable, (tested with Valley and Furmark.)

Anyone else experiencing this voltage dropping goodness as well?

I cannot comment about this specific release, but a couple of releases ago I did notice a similar issue.

I could get to 1175/1650 with 1.275 prior to 13.3 (some beta version) but could no longer on the next version, so yes this seems to have happened before.

I wonder if this will be any benefit to my 5970. Everything is running so well right now with older drivers that I'm scared to try, but I'm interested to see if the supposed cfx improvements will help me at all.

I ended up having to format my PC after having something similar happen. I decided to then try ccleaner and it was completely messed up. I am scared to update the previous drivers that now work correctly ever again.

I'm glad my situation didn't come to that.

13.5 beta would not come out of sleep mode for me. Was getting no signal to my monitor, back to 13.3 all is well.

my guess is we will see a hotfix, and a new beta next week for this.

Too many people use DP.

Particularly eyefinity users.

Got the same sleep mode issue with 13.3. Seems like it always has some kind of issue. Also, I can not install 13.5 as it blacks out my two LCDs and will only use the TV. ?!?!? Do they test them?

if you install new drivers, ccc wipes out your previous settings.

you may have to go and set up the panels.

Noticed some oddities while watching a DVD with 13.5. Both in PowerDVD 10 and TotalMedia. Will experiment more with it later.

if you install new drivers, ccc wipes out your previous settings.

you may have to go and set up the panels.

Well I did use AMD clean up but there is still some kind of residue left behind. It has never done this before but I’ve found a few posts about it.

Firstly they are all blank. The first thing I did was try the TV as something like this has happened while changing CCC settings or turning on the TV in the past but it was blank too. I had to reboot with only the TV connected and then try the each of the LCDs on their own but nothing. With the TV on its own I finally got a desktop on it and while you can then plug in the LCDs everything goes black as it jumps to the none working profile remnants. I was able to get one LCD plugged in and see it in the CCC (after finding the CCC on the blank screen and dragging it over to the TV, good lord!) but I could not get the CCC to turn on the LCD. I tried all kinds of res and refresh settings.

I ended up doing a system restore back to 13.3. I will try again latter but I wanted to watch a movie last night.

Dear AMD, for the thousandth time get rid of the F***ing auto profile changing BS that don’t work! I don’t care if someone turned on the TV or if I’ve turned off my LCD, leave the #$)(((((&%#$@$!!!! profile alone.

Noticed some oddities while watching a DVD with 13.5. Both in PowerDVD 10 and TotalMedia. Will experiment more with it later.

I could not get my LCDs to work but while I had 13.5 installed I did try PowerDVD12 as I was trying to watch a movie on the TV and it just kept crashing. I could not get it to play a movie with 13.5 installed.

I could not get my LCDs to work but while I had 13.5 installed I did try PowerDVD12 as I was trying to watch a movie on the TV and it just kept crashing. I could not get it to play a movie with 13.5 installed.

I was watching Red Tails and during some of the flight scenes with dogfights the tips of the wings and parts of the plane would flicker with large white boxes off and on. The rest of the movie played fine. I have not tried any gaming yet.

Dumbass me bought new fans for the radiator and ran a screw through the fins causing a leak. Right now the system is limping along with a smaller spare radiator. It suits for mild mannered usage, but gets hotter than I would like for intense applications.
I will be replacing the radiator tomorrow and pounding on the system with the new drivers.

Back