AMD Catalyst 12.8 is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
The fine folks at AMD have sent word that the new Catalyst 12.8 drivers are now available. Don't forget to swing on by and grab the new Catalyst Application Profiles while you are at it. Here's a list of new features:

• Featuring support for the DirectX 11.1 and the new WDDM 1.2 driver model: AMD’s first official unified and logo certified driver for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista
  • Target-Independent Rasterization (TIR): TIR is a new rendering path that enables superior anti-aliasing in Direct3D driver applications
  • Native Stereo 3D Support: Windows 8 natively supports stereoscopic 3D gaming and videos via compatible applications
  • Unified Video API: Video playback has been integrated into the DirectX® 11 API, enabling simultaneous video and gaming content. Transcoding performance may also be improved for supporting applications.
  • Optimized screen rotation for rotation aware devices
  • Improved sleep/resume performance
  • Optimized GPU power consumption
  • Major technologies / features also supported under Windows 8:
  • AMD Eyefinity technology
  • OpenCL™
  • OpenGL
  • Unified Video Decoder (UVD)
  • AMD Dual Graphics
  • AMD CrossFire technology
  • AMD Overdrive
  • AMD Catalyst Control Center
  • Vision Engine Control Center

Did this fix the standby issues yet? im still using 12.4 and have to power off my monitor

anyone get ccc working in windows 8 ? cause haven t been able with 4000 series and other.

5870's on Win 7 Pro x64 - Drivers are getting trashed atm. I wonder what's up with these? Can't seem to get them to install properly.

wonder if these will finally work, Eyefinity has been broken on every driver after 12.1 for me, and i hate rolling them back.

Unified Video API: Video playback has been integrated into the DirectX® 11 API, enabling simultaneous video and gaming content. Transcoding performance may also be improved for supporting applications.

Whoa, will this finally fix the "Card is running at a ridiculously slow speed because you were trying to watch a video while playing games" issue?

hmm this does not do anything for the hd 4 x series.. and when look...12.6 comes up. so i guess that is reasonable given dx 11 updates and all.

Last edited:
I installed these drivers and noticed a performance hit in BF3
I checked CCC and crossfire is now disabled telling me that the crossfire bridges need to be connected (they both always have been) tried restarting.. same thing, anybody having this same issue?

I installed these drivers and noticed a performance hit in BF3
I checked CCC and crossfire is now disabled telling me that the crossfire bridges need to be connected (they both always have been) tried restarting.. same thing, anybody having this same issue?

Are you using 2 bridges for a 2 card crossfire setup?

Installed these on my system to see if they've been improved upon from 12.4 and they haven't been for my particular install. Ever since 12.4 the drivers have created massive tearing in BF3. If I turn on Vsync is reduces the effect a great deal but its still somewhat noticeable :(

scaling FINALLY saves for me.

Afterburner is only showing GPU1 temp. The software could need updating however. Plus, while I use Afterburner, I've not used on screen display much.

Thought I used to could see FPS and both my GPU's temps. Hrmm

Did this fix the standby issues yet? im still using 12.4 and have to power off my monitor

I have not had this issue since I installed 12.6.. not once. Screen saver at 5 min, monitor off at 10 min, computer on pretty much 24/7.

My 6950 seems way more aggressive in going down to low clocks (a good thing IMO). I don't ever think I've seen it going down to 250/150 before. Or maybe I haven't been paying attention.

anyone get ccc working in windows 8 ? cause haven t been able with 4000 series and other.

4000 series and older are now considered legacy and won't get drivers beyond the ones Microsoft includes on the Windows 8 disk. As someone with a 4870x2 lying around and a laptop with dual 3870's I'm never buying AMD again. They are only 3 years old. I get better support on my 8800 GTX which is even older. :mad:

Anyone still having Skyrim Crossfire issues? Mine seems like its either working poorly, or perhaps not at all. Although it does seem at least smoother then 12.7 was which I had tons of hitching on.

4000 series and older are now considered legacy and won't get drivers beyond the ones Microsoft includes on the Windows 8 disk. As someone with a 4870x2 lying around and a laptop with dual 3870's I'm never buying AMD again. They are only 3 years old. I get better support on my 8800 GTX which is even older. :mad:
4000 series is legacy now? I could have swarn amd said that they were only axing support for DX9 Only Cards and below.

Anybody got info on CrossfireX on W7 with these drivers?

I have been trying to find ANY driver that will allow me to play DeusEx:HR with Crossfired 7970s in EF......none of the most recent drivers work for more than 5 minutes, then freeze and CTD.

I had no trouble in Surround with my 670 SLi machine.

This is coming from the display driver. Son of a bitch, I've been fighting that every since I installed an SSD and re installed Windows 2 weeks ago, with the latest Catalyst.

LOL just bought my 7770, 2 days ago and just got 12.7, i have no issues so far with 12.7, should i update?

That's a bit longer since. Two years ago, I think.

But, yes, AMD is even worse than Apple in this regard.

That's pretty bad as a 4870 and definitely a 4890 still hang in there easy one single monitor resolutions 1920x1200 and below.
Though I remember by the time the 5870 was released I was scraping money together to get rid of my 4870 as I was running 4320x900 and 5040x1050 and getting horrible performance in Dirt / Mirrors Edge and several wii / gamecube games I was playing at the time on dolphin.

LOL just bought my 7770, 2 days ago and just got 12.7, i have no issues so far with 12.7, should i update?

As a rule of thumb, if you aren't experiencing issues and there are no new features you care about in the new release, then I'd stay put.

I generally consider better performance a new feature as well btw.

AMD never officially released Windows 7 drivers for their DX9 series cards either.

But this is a non-issue, as with those cards you could simply use the Vista 64-bit legacy driver on Windows 7 64-bit.

And just the same, there shouldn't be any issues using the Windows 7 64-bit legacy driver on Windows 8.

Vista drivers are WDDM 1.0, Windows 7 drivers are WDDM 1.1, and Windows 8 drivers are WDDM 1.2. They are designed to be forward and backward compatible minus a minor subset of mostly irrelevant features.

I have a 4870 too. I was bummed to see on their web site they have placed it in Legacy Support Status :(

That's pretty bad as a 4870 and definitely a 4890 still hang in there easy one single monitor resolutions 1920x1200 and below.
Though I remember by the time the 5870 was released I was scraping money together to get rid of my 4870 as I was running 4320x900 and 5040x1050 and getting horrible performance in Dirt / Mirrors Edge and several wii / gamecube games I was playing at the time on dolphin.

As a rule of thumb, if you aren't experiencing issues and there are no new features you care about in the new release, then I'd stay put.

I generally consider better performance a new feature as well btw.

I'm so about to sell my 7970.. AMD is pissing me off with this HDMI audio shit.. Unless I extend my desktop to my reciver that's not a display it will not send audio to it.. Even with this new driver that says it fixed that issue. Even tried installing the drivers from Realtek...With my old 6970 or 6870 I never had these issues even with the new drivers.

Had to install w7 drivers for the 4770 so i could use afterburner to oc, but even with default w8 divers wddm 1.1 ccc won't open :rolleyes: so no dvd pull down detection options and all those ccc options.
Wonder if other 3rd party software would work in w8 ...

Looks like I'm rolling back to 12.4.. hdmi issues still there where it breaks up. If I install the realtrek drivers it wont even out put to hdmi for audio. Not happy at all with this crap.

Did anyone notice if they helped out having windows put your screen to sleep then not waking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back