AMD Catalyst 12.6 beta 5/31/2012

I'm running into a weird issue where the Catalyst Control panels indicates that Crossfire is enabled, but when I load a game, the performance is not what is should be. I have to disable and re-enable crossfire for both cards to work. Upon a reboot, the issue pops right back up again. Didn't have this problem with 12.4.

Getting excellent Skyrim performance using this driver with my 7970's on a 120hz monitor.

Someone please post 3dmark11 Tri-fire scores. I'm curious if my low scores are just specific to my system or everyone else is experiencing the same symptoms.

I'm running into a weird issue where the Catalyst Control panels indicates that Crossfire is enabled, but when I load a game, the performance is not what is should be. I have to disable and re-enable crossfire for both cards to work. Upon a reboot, the issue pops right back up again. Didn't have this problem with 12.4.

Yes if you have ULPS disable then your crossfire will not work with these drivers, infact they will have negative scaling. Dont know why but I farted around with it for an hour last night till I gave up and just left ULPS on so i then had no problems.
In fact these run really good for me so far very happy.

Yes if you have ULPS disable then your crossfire will not work with these drivers, infact they will have negative scaling. Dont know why but I farted around with it for an hour last night till I gave up and just left ULPS on so i then had no problems.
In fact these run really good for me so far very happy.

Thanks! Going to give this a try.

How do you get these to install? Anything higher than 12.3 won't install the Command Line Interface or what is known as the tray icon that allows you to actually set options in the driver.

If I get 12.4 from AMD they don't work.

If I get 12.4 from www.sapphiretech.com they work.

What is the difference? Is there something on my end that is stopping it? Reinstalling Windows didn't cure 12.4 from AMD not installing before.

Last edited:
the 12.6 drivers have been a real improvement so far.

Had some weird issue with installation at first... Uninstalled the old drivers, deleted all the folders named either AMD orATI i could find, restarted and installed the new drivers.
Rebooted again and it gave me some error about there not being any settings to be configured in CCC, so i couldn't start it up.

launched the ccc installer again, it installed as if i hadn't installed anything before and worked like a charm... Strange stuff.

So far so good. If they last for more than 2 weeks then i'll officially approve them :p (2 weeks is the average time every previous driver installation managed to survive before it gave up on running my pc and died.)

My son's computer has two HD 7970s in EF.....

These drivers installed fine, he plays mostly Diablo III and now MP3.....

Said he hasn't noticed any differences, but no problems either; none before with the 12.3s.

It is nice to have a centered task bar though (or where ever you want it to be).:D

I like 12.6 with my 7950 too. Skyrim seems to be running well. I believe setting AA to Adaptive Multi-sample AA from the CCC helps Skyrim run a bit smoother. Could be placebo though.

So far, I've no complaints.

Happy to report these are working with my 7970 TRI-FIRE setup. I will start benching in the next 30 mins and report back.

Happy to report these are working with my 7970 TRI-FIRE setup. I will start benching in the next 30 mins and report back.

Love to know what you using or did cause i cant get all my cards to clock the same. The first card will run at 20-30% at 3D clocks and the other 2 will run at 100% but at 2d clocks.

Ok the only Benchmark that is working is heaven, I did notice 3dmark11 takes a dump. Dropped my score from 22K down to 14K becuz of that same problem eclypse. Im putting all 3 of these up on Ebay im done with AMD.

If mine were loose as in no water cooling i would of done that very thing months ago. :(

Really hurt that i got a notice of evga listing up the 680 4GB version on there site and not pulling the trigger cause it was limited to 1 per person. :( I didnt feel like waiting around again for another 2. I just want to use my PC finally.

le sigh.

Tried to pull them out of "sleep mode" just a couple of hours ago after doing some other stuff.
it took them 5 minutes to stabilize, amd's display driver kept crashing and recovering.

They still don't run as smoothly as they should in general either. Can't even disable ulps anymore because of the negative scaling thing with cf it seems to cause. Too bad the 680 is still very hard to get or i would be really, really tempted to throw these on ebay.

I'm really done with amd. Next cards are goint to be from the green team.

The 680 isn't hard to find right now...
I ordered the Galaxy SOC White Edition to replace my dual 7970's.

I guess it's a good thing the 7970 6GB versions never came out, I'd be stuck with 2 or probably 3 of them. As it is helping people with them is enough for me.

After years, I'm finally giving up on AMD also for my next upgrade. Trouble shooting these in the last 6 months is just too much trouble. Back to green, 680 4GB it will be.

I'm still getting screen flicker. What the fuck.

Happened on the Sapphire 7970 and now on this HIS 7970. It's a periodic line flicker every few minutes 2/3 from the top of the screen.

And here I was, ready to finally sing AMD's praises. They don't even have 7970 listed on their support ticket form :S

Update......

my CF 7970 system runs like crap in Max Payne with these betas and the most current CAPs (12.6 beta1) installed.

In 12.4 with the beta CAP no problems, smooth as silk. With the 12.6 beta Cats GPU#1 had awful utilization.....spiking pattern from 50% to 90% wildly....and very jittery gameplay.....

rolled back to 12.4 and everything is as good as it gets.:D

I really,really want this stuff to just work right............it's in my son's computer all watercooled and quiet......personally, I love my new 670s.
I doubt I'll ever buy another AMD GPU..........

Update......

my CF 7970 system runs like crap in Max Payne with these betas and the most current CAPs (12.6 beta1) installed.

In 12.4 with the beta CAP no problems, smooth as silk. With the 12.6 beta Cats GPU#1 had awful utilization.....spiking pattern from 50% to 90% wildly....and very jittery gameplay.....

I really,really want this stuff to just work right............it's in my son's computer all watercooled and quiet......personally, I love my new 670s.

No idea if you have tried the newest beta as these are newer then the 12.6 betas and are unoffical. I dont believe one is supposed to use any CAPs with these as there built in.

Last edited:
I'm still getting screen flicker. What the fuck.

Happened on the Sapphire 7970 and now on this HIS 7970. It's a periodic line flicker every few minutes 2/3 from the top of the screen.

And here I was, ready to finally sing AMD's praises. They don't even have 7970 listed on their support ticket form :S

No idea as i've never seen that before and never heard of anyone else describing that issue.

Update......

Mine works great, solid 60FPS (Vsync) at 2560x1440...

Are these crossfire issues only screwing up for people in eyefinity or does crossfire suck even in a single panel?

Mine is 5760 x 1200 and was too jumpy to play until I rolled back to 12.4.:D

I got a retail copy so I can't check FPS at all......wish I could.

So do I, and you can with the latest patch for the retail MP3. AB's OSD now works just fine.

So do I, and you can with the latest patch for the retail MP3. AB's OSD now works just fine.

I'm confused.....I hope you're correct, but I loaded the patch last night and I did get the FPS registering on AB GUI but it read 348 or some ridiculous number.:eek:

I'll try the console command.

Thanks for the news.:D

I'm confused.....I hope you're correct, but I loaded the patch last night and I did get the FPS registering on AB GUI but it read 348 or some ridiculous number.:eek:

I'll try the console command.

Thanks for the news.:D

Mine reads fine with AB, solid 60FPS in the retail version.
You're not using the Steam version, right?

Mine reads fine with AB, solid 60FPS in the retail version.
You're not using the Steam version, right?

That's correct. I have a retail disc version.

I got FRAPs to work, but AB still reads at the top of the graph, some ridiculous number.:eek:

In FRAPs I'm getting 75 to 100 frames depending on the action.:D

Weird that the FPS works for me and not for you...
Ahh well, as long as you got it working somewhere. :)

The following link should help provide some clarity.

http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-6-Beta-June-4-benchmark

Nice that someone had the chance to review the various drivers AMD has put out.

AMD....

• . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

The following link should help provide some clarity.

http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-6-Beta-June-4-benchmark

Nice that someone had the chance to review the various drivers AMD has put out.

AMD....

• . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

It seems you lack clarity, as that link shows that things have improved for 7xxx owners with the drivers.

Weird that the FPS works for me and not for you...
Ahh well, as long as you got it working somewhere. :)

Yes it's odd.
What Afterburner version do you use? Mine is 2.2.1......maybe you use a newer beta?
FRAPs seems to be working fine though. It would be nice to just use a single utility though.:D

im still seeing crashes when viewing flash videos either in firefox or IE w/hardware acceleration disabled across the board for flash and the browser itself...wtf AMD!?

i guess it could be worse, at least my computer stays usable and it doesnt screw with my gaming. if i had to restart every time it happened this card would have been broken with a sledge hammer by now.

im still seeing crashes when viewing flash videos either in firefox or IE w/hardware acceleration disabled across the board for flash and the browser itself...wtf AMD!?

i guess it could be worse, at least my computer stays usable and it doesnt screw with my gaming. if i had to restart every time it happened this card would have been broken with a sledge hammer by now.

Have not experianced any of that.. might be time to back everything up and do a reinstall.

Have not experianced any of that.. might be time to back everything up and do a reinstall.

its been happening since 12.2 drivers for me. anything before that and i have no issues.

Back