AMD Catalyst 12.4 Drivers Now Available

Err. This can't be normal can it?
I installed the new drivers. But now the drivers are recognized as 11.8 by both MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z.
Also all my clocks are gone and Afterburner refuses to accept the previous clock speeds.
What the hell is going on here?

see post 70, similar, at least the version being reported wrong.

Sorry Ph.D, that was just in reference to the 12.4's, not your issue directly
Yeah sorry, I thought it was a reply to me for a second there.

I have a theory why this is happening actually. I never install the Catalyst Control Center itself. Only the drivers. And it does show that it's using a driver labelled as "7.14.10.0903".
But this is the first time it says Catalyst 11.8 and not the most recent version.

ibkI3xZDIz33Zt.png

Could it be something AMD changed?

see post 70, similar, at least the version being reported wrong.
If it's the same thing, then my theory about CCC above might be wrong and I have no idea what's causing it.

PhD just saying I don't have that issue with GPU-Z and this driver set.
Mine is reported as 12.4 correctly. Which version of GPU-Z are you running?

Yeah sorry, I thought it was a reply to me for a second there.

I have a theory why this is happening actually. I never install the Catalyst Control Center itself. Only the drivers. And it does show that it's using a driver labelled as "7.14.10.0903".
But this is the first time it says Catalyst 11.8 and not the most recent version.

ibkI3xZDIz33Zt.png

Could it be something AMD changed?

If it's the same thing, then my theory about CCC above might be wrong and I have no idea what's causing it.

GPU-Z reporting similar for me too. Correct driver version number, wrong Catalyst number. My guess is some obscure registry entry didn't update properly.

Last edited:
PhD just saying I don't have that issue with GPU-Z and this driver set.
Mine is reported as 12.4 correctly. Which version of GPU-Z are you running?
Latest version. (0.6.2)

Afterburner also identifies it as the most recent display driver but wrong Catalyst number.
"7.14.10.0903, Catalyst 11.8"

Interesting issue, downloaded and installed 12.4, CCC reports Catalyst Version 11.11 (which I was running before upgrading) Uninstalled 12.4, cleaned the drivers, reinstalled and CCC still reports 11.11

Both times there were no errors, the install reported everything successful. I checked the installed package version number and the driver version numbers the second time and they are correct for 12.4, so it seems I am running 12.4, but CCC says 11.11

It's showing 11.8 for me in Catalyst... :rolleyes:

Sounds like this was caused by driver sweeper or ccleaner, I had something similar happen to me. What happens is when you sweep it will delete more files than is needed, and will prevent you from properly installing a driver. CCleaner was probably the culprit, I had something very similar happen to me in the past. Your best bet at this point is to use system restore.

I'm a strong proponent of not using driver sweeper, and *especially* don't use registry cleaners. Those things are bad news - i've had so many instances of registry cleaners removing things that they should not have, and fucking my shit up.

+1

I don't use cleaners but one time i decided to test it to see if it would cause issues as i was going to do a fresh install as i got my new SSD, i installed all drivers 10.5 to 10.10 without an issue then i used the cleaner and got the no INF, file. I system restored but the damage was done and only drivers 10.10 and 10.5 would install after that, all drivers in between would fail to install.
In fact the situation was that i cloud install drivers 10.5 and could system restore the 10.10 drivers but i could not install 10.10 otherwise.

Last edited:
here is a perfect example of the issues that is present. Everyone wants to blame AMD for all the problems with games and other software. Yet, they do not take in consideration that it could be the game developers poor coding for AMD hardware. It could very well be a windows 7 aka Microsoft problem, as the above pretty much shows.

Thursday night I sold my HD 5970 to my buddy to replace the geforce gts250. I removed all nvidia drivers and software, thenI installed the hd 5970 for him. I then downloaded and installed the 12.4 drivers. rebooted, and windows 7 popped up and said there was an upgrade available. Showing that 12.1 was installed (never installed by myself or my friend) and I could upgrade to 12.4. I then re installed the 12.4 drivers rebooted again, and they took.

My point, this is not an AMD issue, but a windows 7 issue, as the above also shows. It appears windows 7 is updating and installing the WRONG drivers on it's own. How else can you explain driver versions that have never been installed on machines appearing.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336917437&postcount=186

I have experienced a ~50% decrease in performance in FEAR 3 with 12.4. Rolling back to 12.3 solves the problem.

I also am having an issue of CCC reporting 12.3, rather than the 12.4 I just installed...weird. I even click check for updates in CCC and it tells me I need to update to 12.4. Which I just did. Twice...grrrrrr

I also am having an issue of CCC reporting 12.3, rather than the 12.4 I just installed...weird. I even click check for updates in CCC and it tells me I need to update to 12.4. Which I just did. Twice...grrrrrr
This seems to be a recurring issue with many people. Refer to this thread for a better look at what people are going through.

Although, it seems that if your Driver Packaging Version is 8.961-120405a-137813C-ATI then you should have the latest version of drivers.

Install the 14.a hotfix (like mentioned 3 posts up) if you are really worried about the version number in CCC...

Thought I was losing my mind with CCC reporting 12.4 as 12.1. Hotfix worked for me too.

I'm about to put together my new build, and from the looks of this thread, I'm assuming jsut installing the drivers on the disc would be better than 12.4 so far?

eyefinity seems fine.

had an odd glitch where after a while (couple of hours of inattention?) the screens refused to come back from black with a mouse movement or keypress..........

This continues to happen to me with 12.4 - didn't have any problems before with 12.3. I wonder if anyone else is seeing the same?

Installed 12.4 and now explorer crashed with three LCDs connected whether in Eyefinity or not. If I disconnect one explorer will load fine. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no luck. I haven't been able to play Bf3 on anything newer than 11.9 as I get artifacting. I starting to think I need to RMA this damn card.

Back