AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta4

HardOCP News

[H] News
Having problems with the Catalyst 12.11 beta drivers released yesterday? AMD has a fix for you. Here's what the company had to say:

It came to our attention yesterday that there was an application crash observed with the AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta3 driver and Medal of Honor Warfighter; only when running in CrossFire configurations with Anti-Aliasing enabled as well. The engineering team very quickly resolved the issue, and we have just made AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta4 available to resolve the issue for CrossFire configurations.

Wow. Nice response time AMD.

Im liking the way things are going over there right now. The new GPU guy must of started some fires and gettting things back in shape. Keep it up!

Did they fix the issue of HDMI audio cutting out intermittently – y'know, the issue that's forced me to keep rolling back to 12.4?

No, they didn't. Sigh. With driver 'support' like this, my next card will probably be from nVidia.

Did they fix the issue of HDMI audio cutting out intermittently – y'know, the issue that's forced me to keep rolling back to 12.4?

No, they didn't. Sigh. With driver 'support' like this, my next card will probably be from nVidia.
On what card? I have a 6450 in my HTPC and on very rare occasions I'll have the HDMI signal drop to my receiver for a split second and then pick back up. The audio has never been problematic though.

Did they fix the installer crashing when trying to install over a previous driver?

Not only did the installer crash, but then my computer started BSODing when I rebooted.

Had to go into safe mode, manually uninstall the driver through device manager, reboot, uninstall all ATI software, then re-install from scratch.

And the crashing isn't only in MOHW, it was crashing constatly in Explorer on my system.

Anyway, going to try this "fixed" driver tonight and see if it actually works.

I had that same issue on one of my 7950 OC. It may be a hardware issue on the card. Just swapped which card was my Primary and problem has never come back in any driver revisions. Running one monitor on DP and other on HDMI.
Also try a different HDMI cable. I had few bunk ones that did some really weird stuff to my TV and AMP.

Last edited:
Did they fix the installer crashing when trying to install over a previous driver?

Not only did the installer crash, but then my computer started BSODing when I rebooted.

Had to go into safe mode, manually uninstall the driver through device manager, reboot, uninstall all ATI software, then re-install from scratch.

And the crashing isn't only in MOHW, it was crashing constatly in Explorer on my system.

Anyway, going to try this "fixed" driver tonight and see if it actually works.

You should always Uninstall the old Driver and Cap Profiles before install the new Driver package.

You should always Uninstall the old Driver and Cap Profiles before install the new Driver package.

It usually updates just fine. This is the first one I have had trouble with in a couple years.

Last edited:

AMD has stated before you can just install drivers right over drivers without a hitch. I used to be concerned about it as well until I learned that. Caps do have to be uninstalled though.

Seriously unimpressed with AMD/ATi drivers.
- I sold my 5850 on ebay and switched to a Geforce GTX 670 and could not be happier.

- I sold my 5850 on ebay and switched to a Geforce GTX 670 and could not be happier.

Thanks that has lifted our hearts and affect our personal lives forever.
Which do you think matters more to current 7xxx users, this driver or your story.

Maybe others can see the light, too? At $2.14 per share for AMD stock, how much longer are you gonna get support? Get while the getting is good !

My single HD7950 has been working great since I got it and this "never settle" driver also works fine.

HD7950 has been the best single card I have ever owned.

Maybe others can see the light, too? At $2.14 per share for AMD stock, how much longer are you gonna get support? Get while the getting is good !

People are fully aware of AMD situation your off topic speech changes nothing and is nothing but flapping your lips.
You have your Geforce GTX 670 so i would get on and enjoy it and stop crapping AMD threads.

what's the difference with the version that specifically mentions ".net 4 support" in the link?

Massive improvements for me on a 7950 TF3.

Jfqdr.png

On what card? I have a 6450 in my HTPC and on very rare occasions I'll have the HDMI signal drop to my receiver for a split second and then pick back up. The audio has never been problematic though.

7970. That's essentially the issue (I'm running card -> receiver -> monitor), but it happens constantly unless there's something graphically intensive open, like Flash or a game or video. So if I try to listen to iTunes without, say, my browser open to the Youtube home page, the audio keeps cutting in and out.

I know it's not a hardware issue because rolling back the driver solves the problem immediately. And I've found several others across the Interwebs who've had the same issue. You can fix it by turning LCD overdrive on, then off, but you have to do it every time you boot. And it can also be fixed by using a 3rd party utility to overclock the 2D core speed. The problem is somehow related to when the GPU switches to low power in 2D mode, and locking the 2D clocks at full speed fixes the issue. It's just a bit of a pain in the balls.

So, fail, AMD. Fail. Three WHQL releases with the same problem, and it's still not fixed in the new beta.

Last edited:
All these latest beta drivers crash Dishonored upon loading/continuing a game for me, running a 5870. Reverted back a few versions and it's working fine.

I'm thinking about doing the same with my 5870's. However, as they are 2 generations behind the current card, I doubt I'd get anything reasonable for them. Unless they are going to a BitCoin miner, as the 5870's are famous for being fast at BitCoin data mining.

I'm thinking about doing the same with my 5870's. However, as they are 2 generations behind the current card, I doubt I'd get anything reasonable for them. Unless they are going to a BitCoin miner, as the 5870's are famous for being fast at BitCoin data mining.

i love my 5870..

its worked so well i haven't even really thought about upgrading either..

i've been running it in Eyefinity for a while and its just done so well.

7970 crossfire here, loving these drivers with the 12.10 CAP1 profiles.

Seeing some nice performance gains in Sleeping Dogs.

i love my 5870..

Ditto, I keep wanting to upgrade, but they just run so nicely in cf I don't really have a need to.

i love my 5870..

The 5870's are still monsters for gaming...I had a 4890 up until about a month ago looking for a 5870 but settled for 470 Fermi for $90. Wished I could have gotten a 5870 for that price!

I have a 7870. The release notes mention that they fixed the lower than expected GPU utilization issues. This looks to have improved performance/consistency in nearly all games. Dark Souls is running higher minimums for me and the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark no longer shows HUGE dips every few seconds in its on screen performance graph. Fraps benching the FFXIV benchmark also shows higher average framerates and higher minimum.

Awesome!

Last edited:
OMG.... R we really bitching about "Idle Clocks"??? These drivers r the best thing since sliced cheese! If U R really concerned about "Idle Clock Speed" Go to oft Forum.com:p

OMG.... R we really bitching about "Idle Clocks"??? These drivers r the best thing since sliced cheese! If U R really concerned about "Idle Clock Speed" Go to oft Forum.com:p

My bad.

Last edited:
I am experiencing smoother gameplay in Sleeping Dogs, BF3, and Skyrim with CF 7970. I think finally, after 9 months of owning these cards, the drivers have caught up to the hardware.

Back