Mr Mean

[H]ard|Gawd
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx

AMD Catalyst™ 11.5b hotfix

Last Updated

5/25/2011 Article Number

GPU-109

AMD Catalyst™ Driver 11.5b Hotfix Features:
  • Includes performance optimizations and resolves various quality issues for the upcoming release of Brink™
  • Resolves transcoding video lagging issues seen when converting multiple H.264 clips to MPEG2 Blu-ray video
  • Resolves the intermittent mouse cursor lag issue seen by some users
  • Resolves intermittent flickering issues seen in the following applications in a system using an AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 series graphics card with DDR3 memory and running in DirectX® 9 mode:
    • Civilization 5
    • Dead Rising 2
    • Fallout 3
    • Mafia 2
    • NBA 2010
    • ShenGuiChuanQi
    • Starcraft 2
    • Warcraft III
    • World of Warcraft
  • Support for additional Stereo 3D-capable displays:
    • Viewsonic V3D241wm-LED
    • 3D Projectors
  • Enables AMD CrossFire™ scaling for Brink
  • Enables AMD CrossFire scaling for The Witcher 2
  • Improves performance for Dirt 3
Enjoy!

Andrew D
CatalystCreator Andrew D
Also - New CAP will be released by Friday (please don't use the leaked 11.5 CAP2) - The new CAP will be called 11.5 CAP3
31 minutes ago

Andrew D
CatalystCreator Andrew D
Yes this is the Witcher 2 hotfix - it should also slightly improve single GPU performance, but focus is CF support
32 minutes ago

Andrew D
CatalystCreator Andrew D
Please grab the official hotfix here: http://+++++++/kjScZg - includes Witcher 2 CF scaling, Brink CF, and Dirt 3 gains.
37 minutes ago

woooooot :p

I've been seeing artifacts in TW2 with this driver in crossfire. I have seem a few other people report the same thing on the forums.

witcher22011-05-2516-51-19-76.jpg

wow i went form about low 40fps to in the same spot im getting 65+ fps:) whit my 6950cf

I know this is talked about everywhere but can one of you explain this to me. What exactly is it? It's created such a fuss.

If you move your cursor to (in my case) the top right hand corner of your right hand display in Eyefinity it lags and jumps around like crazy.

Got a 7~ fps boost after the new drivers, very impressed! The game's lighting and DoF also look a little better, but that might just be cause I'm getting 30+ fps constant now. Everything on ultra except for uber sampling, stock hd 5850 and i7 860, 1080p res.

Last edited:
I know this is talked about everywhere but can one of you explain this to me. What exactly is it? It's created such a fuss.

It's as if the mouse cursor stops responding for a split second when you move the mouse into the top right corner of the display. It's a small issue that some people like to whine about. I've dealt with far worse driver issues. Seriously if this is the worst driver issue that you have run into consider yourself lucky.

The artifacting in the screenshot that I posted bothers me way more.

Is there something wrong with Vista x64 that wont let you install beta drivers? I can never get any of the beta drivers to install properly.

I've been seeing artifacts in TW2 with this driver in crossfire. I have seem a few other people report the same thing on the forums.

Same thing here, light sources are bleeding through solid objects. This is with a 6950 CF setup.

Well the crossfire issue is resolved. The problem is I am stuck with the photoshop lens flare when I look at any strong source of light. I resolved it by reverting it back to 11.5 WHQL drivers. It appears I cannot download 11.5a anymore.

It's as if the mouse cursor stops responding for a split second when you move the mouse into the top right corner of the display. It's a small issue that some people like to whine about. I've dealt with far worse driver issues. Seriously if this is the worst driver issue that you have run into consider yourself lucky.

The artifacting in the screenshot that I posted bothers me way more.

I wonder if that's some hardware bug. You would think that would be an easy issue to fix on a software level since it's easy to replicate if you have the issue(move mouse cursor to corner.) And it doesn't affect anything other then the 69xx series, it seems.

I wonder if that's some hardware bug. You would think that would be an easy issue to fix on a software level since it's easy to replicate if you have the issue(move mouse cursor to corner.) And it doesn't affect anything other then the 69xx series, it seems.

It's affecting my 5870, too. Single screen, top-right corner. Not a big deal, and I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me. Had it since 11.2.

I have had the issue show up with my HD 4850s. For me it first showed up when I had two 4850s in crossfire in the middle of last year. It also affects the entire right side of the monitor in even at desktop. It can be very frustrating.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out: I've been trying to install this, but every time I try, I get a BSOD while the installer installs the new driver. When the computer restarts, my driver is corrupted, and I need to restore it using Windows update. I was stupid enough to think that it might have been a one-time thing, so I tried it again, got the same problem. I even tried uninstalling my graphics driver beforehand, but the Catalyst Installer would not install the new driver, there was not even an option for it. I then went into the installation files and tried installing the driver manually, but it just told me that I had to open the Catalyst installer in order to do so. When I did, it told me that everything had been installed and was fully working. (despite the fact that there was currently no graphics driver installed on the computer)

Could anyone help me out? I have no idea why this is happening. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 5870, if that helps any. I've heard from some people that the driver was incompatible with mobile cards, but I'm almost 100% sure that person was wrong. I really want to get this fix working (I've been wanting to play Witcher 2, but no matter what I do it lags horribly, I was hoping this would make it a little more bearable.) and I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out: I've been trying to install this, but every time I try, I get a BSOD while the installer installs the new driver. When the computer restarts, my driver is corrupted, and I need to restore it using Windows update. I was stupid enough to think that it might have been a one-time thing, so I tried it again, got the same problem. I even tried uninstalling my graphics driver beforehand, but the Catalyst Installer would not install the new driver, there was not even an option for it. I then went into the installation files and tried installing the driver manually, but it just told me that I had to open the Catalyst installer in order to do so. When I did, it told me that everything had been installed and was fully working. (despite the fact that there was currently no graphics driver installed on the computer)

Could anyone help me out? I have no idea why this is happening. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 5870, if that helps any. I've heard from some people that the driver was incompatible with mobile cards, but I'm almost 100% sure that person was wrong. I really want to get this fix working (I've been wanting to play Witcher 2, but no matter what I do it lags horribly, I was hoping this would make it a little more bearable.) and I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks.

I am 100% sure he is right, I dont think these drivers are for mobile cards. There is a guy over on Guru3D forums who makes the desktop drivers compatible with mobile cards. If you check the ATI drivers section on that site you should find something.

I am 100% sure he is right, I dont think these drivers are for mobile cards. There is a guy over on Guru3D forums who makes the desktop drivers compatible with mobile cards. If you check the ATI drivers section on that site you should find something.

Oh, that sucks. Well, thanks. Yours was the first concrete answer I got after asking about this at approximately five different tech forums.

I guess that's what happens when you're a laptop user; you're considered a second class citizen by AMD. Oh well.

Oh, that sucks. Well, thanks. Yours was the first concrete answer I got after asking about this at approximately five different tech forums.

I guess that's what happens when you're a laptop user; you're considered a second class citizen by AMD. Oh well.

Well considering these are HOTFIX drivers for 6000 series cards and Crossfire issues primarily, yes your laptop isn't the primary consideration for these...

Well considering these are HOTFIX drivers for 6000 series cards and Crossfire issues primarily, yes your laptop isn't the primary consideration for these...

Well, I looked at the supported cards list, and it goes way down into the 4000's series. I've read a few posts by people who have gotten massive performance increases in Witcher: even those that have 5000 series cards. (and not crossfire, although those with crossfire have gotten much higher increases in performance)

By massive, I mean an FPS difference of maybe 5-6, but I'm currently running Witcher 2 at around 20-22 FPS, so that little bit of increased performance would make my game a lot smoother. I'm a little bit sad now that I know that I'll be stuck with this.

Edit: It appears that there is a patch out for Witcher 2, so I still have hope.

Last edited:
Checkerboarding for Crossfire DX11 titles with Vsync enabled is still present in this release.

I don't know if this is related to 11.5 catalyst drivers but after installing them, my Rat-7 mouse would lag or freeze in the middle of my single tv, when win7 64bit sp1 loaded up. I would have to wiggle the mouse for awhile before it would start to respond. I switched to my mionix naos 5k & that works fine, no freeze, no lag instantly ready. Think I should try the hot-fix or leave well-enough alone?

Your welcome, you should try out the mobility mod on the guru3d forums, they might make a difference.

Well, I looked at the supported cards list, and it goes way down into the 4000's series. I've read a few posts by people who have gotten massive performance increases in Witcher: even those that have 5000 series cards. (and not crossfire, although those with crossfire have gotten much higher increases in performance)

It’s still just a hotfix driver. The primary, non-hotfix Catalyst drivers do support Mobility Radeon GPUs. So you just need to stick to those.

It’s not that AMD considers you a second class citizen, it’s that AMD targets hotfix drivers at specific subsets of users, and they come with a warning that if you aren’t experiencing the problem they fix, then you shouldn’t install them.

These drivers made Witcher 2 Crash happy.

It also made me GSOD numerous times too "laughs"

Back to 11.5 I go

These drivers made Witcher 2 Crash happy.

It also made me GSOD numerous times too "laughs"

Back to 11.5 I go

hmmm, most people seem to be reporting an improvement with these drivers apart from the halo thing. The new patch for Witcher 2 is out today, wait and install that before going back to 11.5;s.

hmmm, most people seem to be reporting an improvement with these drivers apart from the halo thing. The new patch for Witcher 2 is out today, wait and install that before going back to 11.5;s.

Yea it sucks ass.

I guess I'll try em after I update Witcher 2 when I get home in the morning.

Aside from the halo issue it runs beautifully on my CrossFire 6870 setup and patch 1.1.

Back