AMD Catalyst 11.1 & Catalyst 11.1a Hotfix

Well, not a fan of this new CCC...since it randomly doesn't show up. You right click desktop and hit CCC, and...nothing. Went back to the first driver set for 69xx. There's probably a way to use the new drivers with the old CCC, right? Will mess with that later.

Yes, you can use the old CCC with newer drivers. Just download the CCC from "individual downloads" section and install it. It'll overwrite the new CCC. I had the same issue as you and had to resort to this. You'll loose out on the new Tessellation and Power options though.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...os=Windows Vista - 64-Bit Edition&rev=10.10#2

Last edited:
I may have to do that due to the serious downgrade that profiles got. There isn't nearly as much control over them now in CCC2.

Seriously ATi, for the love of god, quit adding new features. Fix the bugs first...

I may have to do that due to the serious downgrade that profiles got. There isn't nearly as much control over them now in CCC2.

Seriously ATi, for the love of god, quit adding new features. Fix the bugs first...

This. Why did they gimp the profiles and relabel them presets? And it's not even adding a new feature, it's removing features and repackaging them in a prettier package.

Anyway, I reinstalled everything but CCC2 and it's working fine now.

Well, not a fan of this new CCC...since it randomly doesn't show up. You right click desktop and hit CCC, and...nothing. Went back to the first driver set for 69xx. There's probably a way to use the new drivers with the old CCC, right? Will mess with that later.

That's been a bug since catalyst was first introduced. I haven't had it for a long time though. Usually happened if your internet connection went down.

After reading thru 5 pages of this thread, I decide to stay on 10.12a.. at least it's working great so far for me.

These drivers are absolutely horrible, if you have Crossfire enabled, games will start crashing. Anybody experiencing the same issue? It works fine if your using a single GPU setup though.

These drivers are absolutely horrible, if you have Crossfire enabled, games will start crashing. Anybody experiencing the same issue? It works fine if your using a single GPU setup though.

No crashes in any of my games, but I'm using 11.1a. Maybe try switching to those instead?

I'm experiencing 99% usage while at the desktop! All I do is get crap with AMD driver's.

I'm using 11.1a, I've decided to switch back to 10.12a until ATI fixes these bugs, what a nightmare.

11.1a appear to work fine for me, what i want to know is whether i am in fact actually running these drivers, as CCC still reports 10.11.............?

11.1a also borked my Afterburner (latest beta) fan profile on top of borking Unigine benchmarks. Fans won't even spin up when my 2x6950s pass 100c - they'll just stay at some stupidly low speed and wait for the comp to BSOD which scared the living shit out of me. Had to uninstall Afterburner for fans to return to "normal", which meant hovering at 90c and burning up the rest of my comp (since I don't want to manually set 1 fan speed.. kinda the point of Afterburner). Going back to the GTX460s; nothing but headaches since getting the 6950s.

11.1a also borked my Afterburner (latest beta) fan profile on top of borking Unigine benchmarks. Fans won't even spin up when my 2x6950s pass 100c - they'll just stay at some stupidly low speed and wait for the comp to BSOD which scared the living shit out of me. Had to uninstall Afterburner for fans to return to "normal", which meant hovering at 90c and burning up the rest of my comp (since I don't want to manually set 1 fan speed.. kinda the point of Afterburner). Going back to the GTX460s; nothing but headaches since getting the 6950s.

Sounds like an Afterburner problem.

Lol, a problem with MSI Afterburner and you return your cards for geforces. That's pretty hilarious.

Lol, a problem with MSI Afterburner and you return your cards for geforces. That's pretty hilarious.

My cards, my many experiences and I don't want to wait for things to "fix" themselves. You're pretty hilarious for assuming you know everything. Lol?

All you've posted is MSI afterburner not working (Fault of afterburner), poor performance in a synthetic benchmark (if it doesn't happen in a real game, who cares?) and an issue with aero, which can be caused by all sorts of things, for me, one of my remote desktop clients regularly breaks aero.
If you're going to randomly say "I've had enough, changing cards" without giving any real valid reasons in the thread, and then flame people who pick up on it, you really aren't going to be met with anything constructive, so why post it?

My cards, my many experiences and I don't want to wait for things to "fix" themselves. You're pretty hilarious for assuming you know everything. Lol?

Your fan problems fixes itself when you uninstall Afterburner. This is a pretty direct indication that Afterburner is screwing up your fan speeds, not any ATI software. Blame MSI for the fan problem, its not ATI's fault that you are running a 3rd party tool that screws up your fan speeds.

Sure you might have some other problems too, but it sounded like you were blaming AMD for the Afterburner problem.

After reading a bunch of similar problems over the last few months, seems like almost everyone with fan speed problems always has 3rd party GPU control apps installed as well. Very often fan problems are the result of people trying to fix things that aren't broken.

does anyone have burnout paradise? after updating to the 11.1a's once i get into the game the screen is black except for the map and menus. i have a 6950 btw.

Got almost everything working good here on my Crossfire setup. Fixed my bad company problem too but I do have that issue with 99% gpu usage while in the desktop after playing sometimes. Other than that I am satisfied with these drivers. Great performance increase with 3dmark11 and vantage too.

Using 11.1a with 10.12 profiles

All you've posted is MSI afterburner not working (Fault of afterburner), poor performance in a synthetic benchmark (if it doesn't happen in a real game, who cares?) and an issue with aero, which can be caused by all sorts of things, for me, one of my remote desktop clients regularly breaks aero.
If you're going to randomly say "I've had enough, changing cards" without giving any real valid reasons in the thread, and then flame people who pick up on it, you really aren't going to be met with anything constructive, so why post it?

Your fan problems fixes itself when you uninstall Afterburner. This is a pretty direct indication that Afterburner is screwing up your fan speeds, not any ATI software. Blame MSI for the fan problem, its not ATI's fault that you are running a 3rd party tool that screws up your fan speeds.

Sure you might have some other problems too, but it sounded like you were blaming AMD for the Afterburner problem.

After reading a bunch of similar problems over the last few months, seems like almost everyone with fan speed problems always has 3rd party GPU control apps installed as well. Very often fan problems are the result of people trying to fix things that aren't broken.
Man, do people have to recount all the other problems with other Catalyst drivers on other ATI cards every time they post an experience? 3 things borking = not valid? Oh please, get off your high chair that everything is PEBKAC (aero breaking on a fresh OS install with all the same drivers aside from CCC of other reinstalls is totally PEBKAC). I'm not the only one who's been disappointed over and over in the past. Let's see, take Brothers in Arms that took me at least 3 months to complete because ATI didn't fix a game breaking glitch, hellish loading times in BC2, poor performances, poor CF scaling, games breaking with CF on... blah blah blah.

You people assume too much, just take it from the other side that whoever's using the cards are fed up and leave them be? These are my 5th and 6th ATI cards in year 2010 since you guys (actually) know so little but assume so much. Nvidia drivers aren't always perfect, but my GTX460s have given me far less trouble (aka. no trouble) than these new 6950s, but somehow that's a crime to be going back to something that gives less/no headaches.

Last edited:
Man, do people have to recount all the other problems with other Catalyst drivers on other ATI cards every time they post an experience? 3 things borking = not valid? Oh please, get off your high chair that everything is PEBKAC (aero breaking on a fresh OS install with all the same drivers aside from CCC of other reinstalls is totally PEBKAC). I'm not the only one who's been disappointed over and over in the past. Let's see, take Brothers in Arms that took me at least 3 months to complete because ATI didn't fix a game breaking glitch, hellish loading times in BC2, poor performances, poor CF scaling, games breaking with CF on... blah blah blah.

You people assume too much, just take it from the other side that whoever's using the cards are fed up and leave them be? These are my 5th and 6th ATI cards in year 2010 since you guys (actually) know so little but assume so much. Nvidia drivers aren't always perfect, but my GTX460s have given me far less trouble (aka. no trouble) than these new 6950s, but somehow that's a crime to be going back to something that gives less/no headaches.

I have no problem with you being unhappy with the card, I just thought blaming AMD for Afterburner not working was a bit much. Heck I've only had a AMD card for ~2 weeks and I've already ran into more problems than I had in the last couple years of Nvidia cards :rolleyes:

This Asus HD 6970 is the first ATI card I've owned. I was having a lot of weird issues ever since I bought it, but the 11.1a hotfix seems to have cured most of it. Previously my GPU temperature was fluctuating between 47 and 60 degrees constantly and the core and memory clock would spike up to max every few seconds, all while the card was completely idle.

Now I'm idling at a constant 35-36 degrees and all other readings are perfectly stable, no spikes. Nice to see.

We'll see what happens when I turn my machine off and let it cool down completely though. last time I did that not a single game was playable when I restarted. I was getting 2-4 fps in Crysis and WoW stopped moving altogether - 0 fps. Needless to say I wasn't too impressed. I expected a lot more from a high end product like this. Tomorrow I'll have the verdict.

I've had no problems with the 11.1a driver itself. The new CCC isn't working for me, but since I use RadeonPro it's not a problem. I like the new tessellation control that's been added, it really helps with performance in Lost Planet 2 and HAWX 2 without lowering the IQ in any noticeable way(using screenshots and vdeos).

Using 11.1 now, 6950.. tried EVERYTHING to get 11.1a to work - those jumps in heaven and 3dmark11 have me wanting it.

i even went so far as to completely re-install windows and run a pure fresh install straight to 11.1a - same exact bug i always get. 'If' it installs, when i reboot it will seem ok but then ccc will try to start and an error will pop up and it just shuts down ccc.

it may or may not keep repeating itself.. depending upon how it feels. 11.1 is solid, just slower i guess.

oh and yes, i did this with my 6950 flash setting on 'B' original bios, so its not that.

nvidia does have issues too the last 266 beta crashed a s*&t ton in bc2 but when the final WHQL came out it was rock solid.

I've been keeping a close eye on file versions, and it appears ATi's installer is seriously broken. It's simply not updating some files when you install over a previous driver, leaving a number of things un-updated. A number of the DLL's associated with OpenGL appear to be effected, including the now infamous atioglxx.dll. The file version and date stays the same through the update, I only get the new versions if I completely uninstall ATi's driver first.

Bottom line: if you installed 11.1(a) over an old driver, you're still running parts of the old driver.

I happened across a beneficial quirk as a result of the bugged installer, though. If you install 11.1(a) over Genetix modified Catalyst drivers (which have a working OpenGL extension limit) then you retain the working OpenGL extension limit from the modified drivers in 11.1(a).

Well I don't see a Display Driver at all in the 11.1a's. If I install the package clean, there is no Display Driver listed in install options. If I install the 11.1s, the Display Driver (8.812.0.0000) is listed and installs fine. If I then try to install 11.1a over the top of that, it shows that same driver version installed and says it's up to date.

Aha now I see, Vista users need an updated inf file. Works now.

Last edited:
No matter what driver I use, stock or overclocked, BC2 will randomly crash to desktop when playing in Eyefinity with my 6970... I have a feeling its the game, however.

No matter what driver I use, stock or overclocked, BC2 will randomly crash to desktop when playing in Eyefinity with my 6970... I have a feeling its the game, however.

BC2 is bugged in both eyefinity and surround -- it's a known issue. It does seem to work in Vietnam for most people though, so maybe they are close to a fix. There is a thread over at the WideScreenGaming forum that shows Dice confirming they are working on the issue.

Yes, and these idiots will insta-delete any thread you make complaining about this in their EA-BC2-PC forums.

Vietnam works, but Vietnam is nowhere near as fun as the base game + map pack.

Using 11.1 now, 6950.. tried EVERYTHING to get 11.1a to work - those jumps in heaven and 3dmark11 have me wanting it.

i even went so far as to completely re-install windows and run a pure fresh install straight to 11.1a - same exact bug i always get. 'If' it installs, when i reboot it will seem ok but then ccc will try to start and an error will pop up and it just shuts down ccc.

it may or may not keep repeating itself.. depending upon how it feels. 11.1 is solid, just slower i guess.

oh and yes, i did this with my 6950 flash setting on 'B' original bios, so its not that.

nvidia does have issues too the last 266 beta crashed a s*&t ton in bc2 but when the final WHQL came out it was rock solid.

Time to give AMD some driver credit - i finally got the right combination of 11.1 and 11.1a (installed just the driver of 11.1a only, not the new ccc) and that worked! 11.1 now rockets - pulled a 55.9 fps avg on Heaven 2.1 w/ a single 6950 unlocked @ 950/1450 (was 53.1 fps at 960/1475)! Heaven 2.1 defaults w 1920x1080 .. very happy. also got P5500+ on 3dmark11, was 5300. 11.1a does a job.:cool:

Yes, and these idiots will insta-delete any thread you make complaining about this in their EA-BC2-PC forums.

Vietnam works, but Vietnam is nowhere near as fun as the base game + map pack.

YA BC2 is still buggy. Map load times are still an issue after all this time and I get occasional flickering at some point on nearly every map. Have not had a CTD on the newest drivers.. though I've only been using them about a week.

Turns out you're right. I played Vietnam in Eyefinity for 3 hours today without a single CTD. Switched to vanilla BC2 and within the first 10 minutes I crashed.

Pathetic.

I used to get CTDs in BC2 on my 4870X2 with 10.5. When I upgraded to 10.10e I didn't have that issue.

I tried to install the new 11.1 and got a blue screen during install. I now can not install a driver I keep getting errors. This is driving me banana's

Back