AMD "Bulldozer" FX Model 8150 CPU Overclocking Preview @ [H]

Kyle "I am still under NDA."
non-disclosure-agreement.jpg

Dang you Kyle conforming to The Man! Until WHEN are you under NDA? At least I have a feeling you will be benchmarking Bulldozer instead of ignoring it like you did the 6 core Phenom IIs

The quote i quoted said "stock air" .... no way in hell does a 2600k hit 5.0 on STOCK cooling from Intel......yes some aftermaket air coolers will hit 5.0(remember Asus's internal testing put ~10% of 2600k as 5.0 capable IIRC)

My 2600k hits 5.0 GHz on a Skythe Mugen II. I'm under the impression most are 4.5-5.0 on air...

i'm sure 4.8Ghz will be obtainable on high end aircooling. they really weren't using a custom water cooling rig or anything crazy high end. it was basically just an H100(for a comparative, since i missed the name of the cooler).

Unless Asetek has a competitor to the H100 it was probably the Antec 920 since that is the highest end Asetek unit on the market.

Zarathustra[H];1037746792 said:
Hmm.. Video won't play for me, just sits on the 0 mark and nothing happens. :(

Looks like it was a Chrome issue. Loaded an IE tab and it ran fine.

Never said it was an amazing cooling, however it is leaps/bounds above a stock intel Cooler, which the post said got 2600k's to 5.0 ....

Zarathustra[H];1037746899 said:
Well, the H50 isn't that great of a cooler. It doesn't keep up with the top air coolers.

Wowsa nice.....

I say we use cheese thermal paste on those BD's baby!

We need faster SSD's to keep up now! Won't they bottleneck those sweet bulldozers? LoL. I'm in love!

Sweet, 4.8-4.9 on aggressive air or sealed water unit

So slower than the i7 2600K when overclocked. Remember the ipc disadvantage means AMD must clock several 100 MHz higher than SB to be equal.

No. Neither do we have any evidence that the 8 core will git 4.8GHz. However I have seen no indication that AMD will make up the 20% to 30% ipc disadvantage.

Hard for me to ever get excited about the overclocks. Seeing how they actually perform is much more interesting.

Isnt the video showing the 8c FX running at 4.8 GHz+ depending on the cooling?

No. Neither do we have any evidence that the 8 core will git 4.8GHz. However I have seen no indication that AMD will make up the 20% to 30% ipc disadvantage.

Of course I want BD to be good. I just do not believe it will be much better than the i7 2600K.

You never know. AMD cept eyefinity secret until it was released. There really hasnt been any Accurate info of BD performace at all.

For all we know it is as good as an I7 2600k.

But of course it could suck royal ass, soon my friend we shall find out.

I miss the names Venice, Newark, Clawhammer, etc... now it's bulldozer, steamroller, semitruck, haha... honestly.. I'm excited. I want AMD to gain it's crown back. Not just be known as the budget processor. BULLDOZE INTEL!

Obviously, INTEL is still the big kid on the block but AMD is holding it's own in the budget battle & their chips are still a better bang for the buck. An 8Ghz cherry-picked sample bodes well for OC junkies & good results on air too. We'll have to see what the reviews say in a few days about full stability overclocks vs screenshots of cherry picked CPU's....I still like air cooling so 'on-air results will be interesting for me...

I miss the names Venice, Newark, Clawhammer, etc... now it's bulldozer, steamroller, semitruck, haha... honestly.. I'm excited. I want AMD to gain it's crown back. Not just be known as the budget processor. BULLDOZE INTEL!

well if you want to go by the actual names of the chips like venice, newark, clawhammer, then its zambezi not bulldozer. bulldozer is the product line name and not the actual chip name.

well if you want to go by the actual names of the chips like venice, newark, clawhammer, then its zambezi not bulldozer. bulldozer is the product line name and not the actual chip name.

I thought it was just a codename.

The product name (at least for desktop chips) is FX

If AMD really did have a CPU that could make a solid dent against Intel, they would have been paper launching hard trying to gain momentium. I think what they are going to show is they can at least hang with Intel (at least in the CPU arena). With a value proposition coupled with their GPU's, they will probably be fine for. However, with tablets canibalizing laptop sales....not sure about the future.

How dare you be so rational! :D

8GHZ! OMG! :rolleyes:

Prediction?: you'll need to OC AMDs top of the line CPU up the ass to come in line with a middling offering from Intel.

Very impressive OCs. I can't wait to see how they perform. They also made a BIG deal about how voltage tolerant they were, which is good, as well as how they scale really well with clock speed- sounds killer if the performance is decent:) I might actually think about upgrading from my i5-750.

Not sure why anyone is asking when the NDA will be lifted. You realize when it is lifted, that is essentially the paper launch day of the product, right? Naming when the NDA is lifted is pretty much naming the release date, which is unannounced. Or at least, that is my impression of how it works...
At any rate, seeing how well the chips OC gives me hope for BD.

Not on Kyle or HardOCP at all, you guys are excellent and are giving us information that AMD allows you to give us. This video is basically useless as it doesn't give an idea of it's performance vs the i7(as was stated in the article, so I didn't expect to see anything).

If the IPC is equal or worse than the existing Deneb and Thuban cores(from what I've heard from rumors) no amount of overclocking is going to help this compare to Sandy Bridge. If AMD thinks that giving you the OK to put out a video without any performance figures and only showing how many GHZ it can do, I don't think this bodes well for the prospective chip. The last time a company went balls to the wall with GHZ was the Pentium 4...So until useful information comes out, the orders for my clients for the rest of the year will be Sandy Bridge Based, even if BD demolishes SB, by the time any useful information is out(October, Right?) , It will be too late and we will be fully entrenched with i3/i5/i7 systems. The boat has sailed for the next two months, and with no solid info, I will have to say "buh-bye" to AMD for the next 2 years as by the time new orders are in (2012) my clients will wait for Ivy Bridge. Come on AMD, I DON'T CARE if it can do 8Ghz, what is the point if at that speed it still can't touch an i5-2500k @ 5.2Ghz?

Thank you Kyle and HardOCP for the video, and AMD, Put up, or SHUT UP. Allowing excellent sites like [H] to post the overclocking does NOTHING to satiate your fans, and if fact just enraged this fan.

Please post some performance figures soon, I have 5 clients looking for new machines to slowly build up, think getting a decent base (i3-2100, Radeon 6790,P67) and then upgrading within the next few months (to say an i5 2500k and maybe a Radeon 7850). If I had solid info on BD, I could at least have them consider a Phenom II 965($120 last I checked) and an 970x Board ($110) instead of the i3. But with the lack of confidence that AMD is clearly displaying I have no choice but to go the SB route. Being an AMD fan (most of my personal machines at my homes are AMD) this just sucks.

Was that motherboard a stock Crosshair V?

That thing must have been drawing a ton of power at 8Ghz, nice to know the power section on that board can handle that..even if it was super cold. I remember a lot of boards burning up with overclocked X6s.

Hmm...mixedfeelings on this. The p4 could oc prettyhigh with ln2, didn't name it good

Not sure why anyone is asking when the NDA will be lifted. You realize when it is lifted, that is essentially the paper launch day of the product, right? Naming when the NDA is lifted is pretty much naming the release date, which is unannounced. Or at least, that is my impression of how it works...
At any rate, seeing how well the chips OC gives me hope for BD.

He already said the NDA will be lifted on the 19th.

Still under NDA but they allowed to show this off? I have a feeling this CPU will suck and disappoint for non overclocker.

The tests I will be most interested in are the [H] gaming benchmarks. 8 cores will be cool, but not sure how that will translate into gaming performance.

Not to nitpick, but, actually:
'Bulldozer' is name of the architecture;
'Orochi' is the name of the 4 module/8 core die;
'Zambezi' is the single-die desktop variant;
'Valencia' is the single-die 2+ socket server/workstation variant;
'Interlagos' is the dual-die 1+ socket server/workstation variant.

Then there are the cores coming out late next year or early 2013:
'Piledriver' is the 'enhanced' or next-gen Bulldozer arch;
'Komodo' is the name of the 5 module/10 core die (I think. Komodo is a type of dragon, like Orochi);
'Vishera' is the name of the desktop variant (Vishera is the name of several rivers in Russia, like Zambezi is a river);
'Sepang' is the single-die 2+ socket server/workstation variant;
'Terramar' is the dual-die 1+ socket server/workstation variant.

:D

I know that theres other things than games that would benefit from that high of a frequency, how high till it stops scaling... u'd have to use quad-sli or xfire to choke that puppy down ?

Back