AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Desktop Performance Review @ [H]ardOCP

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by FrgMstr, Oct 11, 2011.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Desktop Performance Review - Computer hardware enthusiasts have literally waited for years for AMD's Bulldozer architecture to come to market and we finally see this today in its desktop form, code named Zambezi, brand named AMD FX. In this article we share with you our analysis of Bulldozer's performance in synthetic benchmarks and desktop applications.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. heflys20

heflys20 [H]ard|Gawd

If I were Intel, I'd raise prices on SB. Now, I'm officially going to bed. LOL.

3. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

Where is AMD_Gamer and teletran8 to explain this one away?

This quote has got to be my favorite...

It's quite clear that many of the benchmarks clearly show Bulldozer behind the older Thuban. An 8 core Thuban would probably beat it in multi-threaded tests.

4. sirmo

sirmo Gawd

Great review Kyle!

Well I've been very optimistic about Bulldozer over the years. I commended them for going with a shared "module design" as I thought it was brave and they were on to something, even longer pipeline (less IPC), I thought it would be offset by clever power gating.

But now that we finally see the real benchmarks, I must say I am very disappointed. What was AMD thinking? The power consumption is just terrible. Have they learned nothing from their GPU division?

After 12 years of building AMD systems, it saddens me to say my next machine will most likely have an Intel CPU in it.

5. Tiporaro

Tiporaro [H]ard|Gawd

Well, there wont be much reason for intel to even consider being competitive on pricing for SB-E.

6. munkle

munkle [H]ardForum Junkie

Disappointing results was hoping for better, oh well I own a 2600k. :p

7. cannondale06

cannondale06 [H]ardForum Junkie

lol slower IPC than Phenom 2. and the cpu uses twice the power of a 2500k. :eek:

8. Zero82z

Zero82z [H]ard as it Gets

Who else isn't surprised at all? I'm sure Intel is laughing all the way to the bank. This may have been impressive four years ago, but now it's just sad. Not even worth getting over a Thuban.

9. Chihlidog

Chihlidog [H]ard|Gawd

That was anticlimactic. I'm going to bed.

10. petertew

petertew Gawd

Darn. I was hoping to build a cheap AMD rig to upgrade from my core 2 duo, but the cost differences seem so minimal between AMD and Intel while the performance differences and power consumption seem fairly significant. Guess I'll be going the Intel route now.

Thanks for the great review.

11. Forceman

Forceman [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm sure there are some glasses being raised in Santa Clara right now. Those single-threaded numbers look bad. I know they kinda sorta said they were focusing on cores not IPC, but still. And the power consumption is not pretty either. Really looks like Pentium 4 and Netburst all over again.

12. BoogerBomb

BoogerBomb [H]ardness Supreme

Damn, has AMD completely given up on outdoing Intel? It seems as though current corporate policy is that almost or ,as good as, is their current goal.

13. MartinX

MartinX One Hour Martinizing While You Wait

Disappointing.

Wasn't looking to upgrade soon, but I was hoping AMD could inject a little zazz into the cpu market and get some competition going again.

Guess not, and intels dominance continues...

14. MarkedOne

MarkedOne Limp Gawd

15. Vegasr

Vegasr Gawd

Very good review. I may get the 8150 and the crosshair V for the kids just so i can mess around overclocking it.

16. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

It's not so much that it totally sucks or anything, but it's more that it's just disappointing and not really worth getting over SB.

Good review.

17. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd

It's Kyle's birthday!! Let's all call him up and wish him a happy birthday!!

[​IMG] "WTF? How did you get my number??"

I still think we all need to get a collection up to repay Kyle the $60 RAGE took from him!! Anyway.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLE!!

[​IMG]

Nice write up.. at least as far as my after midnight eyes can tell. Bulldozer is somewhat of a disappointment.. no doubt.. but just wondering if it is a case of something too new being judge by present day or old benchmarks. Not to excuse Bulldozer's poor showing but, while reading your review, it reminded me of MaximumPC's 2005 Dream Machine.. it had two Opterons dual core CPUs for a total of four cores but all the benchmarks and software they were using couldn't take advantage of how the dual Opterons worked. So that Dream Machine ended up testing a lot slower than the previous year's single core Pentium 4. Just wondering if Bulldozer is ahead of the curve in some way, that perhaps a year or so from now the design decisions that AMD made will start paying off. Or am I just dreaming since it is way past my bedtime.. 12:34AM! Thanks again Kyle for your hard work! Hope your birthday is great in every way possible!

18. dkev

dkev Gawd

I fully agree. I've been a AMD fan boy since the K5 but my next upgrade in Dec will be an Intel.

19. Forceman

Forceman [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm guessing we won't be seeing much of them for a day or so...

20. cannondale06

well Phenom 2 owners on the AM3+ platform can put their credit cards away.

21. Vostok

Vostok n00b

That's a shame. I was hoping for some exciting competition.

22. Zero82z

Zero82z [H]ard as it Gets

They didn't do a great job of that either. Honestly, I don't see any reason whatsoever to buy one of these chips. They are simply not competitive at all. Intel's CPUs are better in every way.
    Or keep them out and buy Intel ;).

23. Sieg

Sieg Limp Gawd

Hmmm looks like I'm going Intel. Bye bye 1055t :(

24. Yoda4561

Yoda4561 Gawd

If there's one application in that whole test that should tell the tale, it's handbrake. That app has about as ideal multicore scaling as you're going to see in the real world, and it's only about 5% faster, than a PII with 75% of the cores and a 400Mhz clockspeed disadvantage.

25. cannondale06

Intel would like to thank AMD for finally releasing Bulldozer.

26. Valshistixol

Valshistixol [H]ard|Gawd

Hate to say I told you so but... LOL TOLD YOU SO.

27. munkle

munkle [H]ardForum Junkie

I wonder what teletran is going to say? :p

28. lilxskull

lilxskull Limp Gawd

So dissapointing AMD. Well looks like most people will go Intel for their high end builds still.

29. Haiku214

Haiku214 [H]ard|Gawd

In other news, SB-E and Ivy Bridge will be postponed to Q4 2012 - Q1 2013 lol

30. Blacklash

Blacklash [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah thanks Kyle and [H]ard for doing the review. That's pretty much all I have to say right now.

31. Tiporaro

Tiporaro [H]ard|Gawd

It's sad but true. Intel will pick up a sales bump without having done anything other than waving at the dwindling crowd of people that had held out over the several bulldozer delays.

32. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Great review, exactly what I knew was coming. Nothing to hate on but it's a HUGE disappointment.

33. tybert7

tybert7 2[H]4U

The biggest issue is that it can't even outclass its own 45nm based phenom II X6 in many cases... that's just insane to me. Is it a chip design issue? I mean in a field like rocketry, if your engine is capable of producing a certain level of controlled explosions, you get an expected level of thrust... is chip design blind like throwing darts? Did they have no way of knowing the design would end up being not much better than a phenom II x6?

I just, I don't understand how so much time and research could lead to a virtual sidestep instead of a leap...

34. Uwish

Uwish n00b

wow, completely disappointing. I truly thought this would have been much closer in the benchmarks to Intel than what was found. I hope AMD didn't bet the bank on it, cause they just went broke if they did.

35. dnottis

dnottis [H]ardness Supreme

This is why I'll never wait for hardware... hardware can wait on me....

36. Tiporaro

Tiporaro [H]ard|Gawd

With this release, it's honestly hard to pick out a market segment that I'd happily recommend amd cpus for anymore.

37. dr.kevin

dr.kevin 2[H]4U

I knew BD would need a nuclear power plant to power that OC.

That $40 difference is looking sweeter and sweeter.

Your electricity bills will make it more expensive than the 2600k.

have fun gaming at 500+ watts.

DEA will be wondering if you're growing marijuana with all that draw.

[​IMG]

38. umcpgrad

umcpgrad 2[H]4U

amd needs to break apart their processor division and their video card division and concentrate on r&d on their future processors - disappointed.

39. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Holy shiatsu! *Hugs his Sandy Bridge*

40. cheese007

cheese007 [H]Lite

Bulldozer's performance was lol worthy. Great review Kyle!