AMD Bios\ pcie 4.0

fightingfi

2[H]4U
So when the new pcie 4.0 comes to all our AMD bios's how is this going to be any better or different than the x570 new chipset with pcie 4.0?

I don't think you'll notice at all as there aren't many things (none off the top of my head) that would make a noticeable difference in the average user's workload. There aren't any graphics cards that would saturate PCIe 3 enough to cause a noticeable difference moving to PCIe 4 (a few FPS here or there isn't really noticeable). Maybe if you're doing large file transfers on NVMe RAID or something.

I think it will help if you are starved for lanes and you have PCIe 4.0 devices so you can use 1/2 the lanes on each device to get the same bandwidth.

When PCI-e 3.0 updates were available for PCI-e 2.0 boards, they would run max x8 (with a CPU that supported PCI-e 3.0 as well).
This means the same bandwidth but with 1/2 the latency.
I expect similar with the jump from 3.0 to 4.0 on the same board.

I think it will help if you are starved for lanes and you have PCIe 4.0 devices so you can use 1/2 the lanes on each device to get the same bandwidth.
On a board designed for it (5xx), at least. On 3/4xx boards you'd have to bifurcate the first slot, which would probably add too much electrical length to get stable 4.0 speeds.

Back