AMD ATI Radeon HD 5770 and HD 5750 Review @ [H]

Brent_Justice

AMD ATI Radeon HD 5770 and HD 5750 Review - Performance on a budget! That is what AMD is bringing you today with the launch of the ATI Radeon HD 5700 series. The new HD 5750 and HD 5770 are priced to sell, but don’t skimp on gaming performance, all while staying cool and power efficient. We have also added Resident Evil 5 and Batman: AA to our gameplay testing.

Nice review (as always).. It may be just me but im not all that impressed with the 5750 in comparison to the 5770.. for the price I would choose the 5770, but even then I would rather the 5850.. that's me... but each card definitely has it's place and ALL are priced reasonably IMO. Kudos to ATI for getting a well rounded set of DX11 cards to the market prior to W7's release.

Great review as always.
Think the 5770 should have been a tad bit quicker for the price (between the 4870 and 4890)
Definitely more power efficient tho....

Good review, but I wish you had included a 5850 for comparison. I'm curious about the gap between the 5850 and 5770, how much better is the 5850 for half again as much money?

I was honestly really hyped for the HD5770, hoping it would perform in a median between the 4870 and the 4890, but alas, I am disappointed. I probably will end up with the 5770 because I want an upgrade for COD6/Assassins Creed 2 and I need something with low idle power, and the power of the HD4870 (the 4870 was my first choice), but I can say, I am not impressed by its performance. I may just go with it for the sake of having DX11 in the future (I don't upgrade often).

Either way, excellent review as always.

disappointing performance but ill probably just get an hd5750. anyone know one in stock with no tax in CA? lol

Awesome review.

I was looking into the 5770 to upgrade my 9800GTX (Clocked alot higher than a GTS 250) but think ill wait a bit more before pulling the trigger after reading this review. Still when i make the jump to a new card one of these are gonna be my choices.

Good review, but I wish you had included a 5850 for comparison. I'm curious about the gap between the 5850 and 5770, how much better is the 5850 for half again as much money?

It certainly looks like there is room between the 5770 and 5850 for another card, in performance and price, 5850 is $259, so a $100 spread there. I haven't heard of anything coming between there yet though. The capability is certainly there to create a card in there.

Thorough review, but I'm surprised you gave it the "gold" award, when you listed so many potential problems with the 5770 card gaining a foothold in the marketplace (higher price, some performance slippage). Since the GTS250 trades blows with the 5750 for the exact same price, that's also a toss-up.

Tell me, if it brings nothing amazing to the table (other than low power), why the gold award?

Also, I'm surprised you didn't include a 4870 512MB card. These can be had on newegg for $125, and should match the performance of the $160 5770. Or would that have made it even more difficult for you to award your gold?

Good review, but I'm surprised you gave it the "gold" award, when you listed so many potential problems with the 5770 card gaining a foothold in the marketplace. Since the GTS250 trades blows with the 5750 for the exact same price, that's also a toss-up.

Tell me, if it brings nothing amazing to the table, why the gold award?

If you truly believe it doesn't bring anything amazing to the table, I suggest reading the evaluation again.

never been a better time for pc gamers with about $200 bucks in their pockets to spend on a new video card. real 25x16 performance for anyone who recently blew most of their wad on a 30.

Well, the 5770 appears to be kind of a let down. Was really looking to get it for my next video card, but doesn't seem to be worth the extra $ over a 4870 1GB. $140 would have been a better price point since you can find 4870 1GB for around $130.

How much "better" could the 5770 have been with 256 bit or even 192 bit memory?

Well, the 5770 appears to be kind of a let down. Was really looking to get it for my next video card, but doesn't seem to be worth the extra $ over a 4870 1GB. $140 would have been a better price point.

How much "better" could the 5770 have been with 256 bit or even 192 bit memory?

4890 speeds (or better with AA enabled, since it has more ROPs).

not too bad when you consider the whole package. really if the card was priced about 20 bucks cheaper and there was a 5830 to fill the gap between the 5770 and 5850 then it would be about perfect.

as it is now though the 5770 will certainly drop in price once the 4870 and 4890 card are cleared out.

Looking at the numbers and considering the immature state of drivers I'd conclude:
The 5770 >= 4870. But also add in DX11, Eyefinity, and low power consumption.
The 5750=GTS 250 more or less. Add in DX11, Eyefinity, and low power consumption.
The 5750>4770. Add in DX11, Eyefinity, and low power consumption.

5770 and 5750 offer DX11 for the masses, and you can add in triple monitors too if you so please. :) Save money on your electric bill also makes up any price difference versus older generation cards. I like em. The 5750 in particular looks ideally suited to put in an HTPC or something like that.

The other thing to consider is that the 5770 is HIGHLY overclockable. 960/1400 is AMAZING for a reference design. This is not the case with the 4870. Once you OC the 5770 you should easily surpass the 4870 and STILL consume less power. :)

not too bad when you consider the whole package. really if the card was priced about 20 bucks cheaper and there was a 5830 to fill the gap between the 5770 and 5850 then it would be about perfect.

as it is now though the 5770 will certainly drop in price once the 4870 and 4890 card are cleared out.

I could see myself getting one at like a 120ish price point. Though that will take awhile at the rate nvidia is coming out with new cards. UNless they drop they price on the GTS 250.

performance was lower than I expected, as a previous poster as mentioned I think they're priced a bit higher so that they can move old stock of 4850 and 4870. This quelled my excitement for potential performance improvements in the midrange segment... oh well looks like I'll be saving for fermi variant(if/when they show) or a 5850

I'm pretty sure the review said temps at those overclocked specs were at danger levels.

89c, but of course this is reference cooler with NO fan modification. If I had enabled manual fan and turned up RPMs that would have helped, so that is an option with overclocking I suggest with a reference cooler on this card.

BTW, 960MHz was just the max because that was the limits of Overdrive, given a third party app I'm sure it can go higher with the proper cooling.

never been a better time for pc gamers with about $200 bucks in their pockets to spend on a new video card. real 25x16 performance for anyone who recently blew most of their wad on a 30.

These cards give respectable performance at 25x16 but going by the results, I would not recommend them to anyone with such a configuration. Better to go with the 5850 at least.

brent, was crysis 25x16 possible on the 5770 with all settings at gamer?

Considering my GTX275 can barely handle Crysis at that res with all Gamer settings I doubt it. I mean, it's 'playable,' but not what I'd call a smooth experience.

I am also surprised that the card is so long. I read 8 3/4 inches on another review site, would make the fit into my antec HTPC case just by a hair.

Dang, ATI would of had a real winner with the 5770 if they had just gave it at least 192 bit memory.
Was really interested in one, but after the review, don't think it's worth $160.

I cant believe how hot they run. I guess considering how quiet they are a simple increase in fan speed should hopefully take care of that.

It's amazing that a 5770 is being directly compared with a 4870. That it trade blows with what was the top model card from just a year ago is impressive. Yet people are still "disappointed" that it does not outperform an 8 month old refresh 4890. Just over a year ago you would be paying in excess of $300 for such performance yet today you can get one for around $160. I guess some people just cannot be impressed :rolleyes:.

It has the same ROP count as 4870 and 4890, 16.

My mistake. Was thinking of a faked slide I saw last week with 24 ROPS :)

But I have to say, more bandwidth or a lower price would make the 4770 much more attractive. If it costs so much less to make, why aren't we the customers seeing that price reduction?

I am also surprised that the card is so long. I read 8 3/4 inches on another review site, would make the fit into my antec HTPC case just by a hair.

The 5750 is only 7" long. So it should fit your HTPC no problemo.

5750 ran cool, only the 5770 was hotter than expected, but not horrible, given third party coolers I think that will improve, can also adjust fan speed manually which will help
yeah I was just editing my post to reflect that since they were quiet at stock speeds that a simple fan speed increase would probably alleviate that.

It's amazing that a 5770 is being directly compared with a 4870. That it trade blows with what was the top model card from just a year ago is impressive. Yet people are still "disappointed" that it does not outperform an 8 month old refresh 4890. Just over a year ago you would be paying in excess of $300 for such performance yet today you can get one for around $160.

Plus with a whole let less power too, that impressed me.

Back