AMD & ATI - Marketing VP Talks

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD & ATI - Marketing VP Talks - This article gives our readers a chance to see exactly what AMD is saying about the ATI merger. This 10 minute video should answer some more of your questions.

Please watch the video and discuss if it interests you.

8 mins into it.

He is right about one thing....the power available in the AVIVO video converter makes a damn fast video encoding CPU....the integrated GPU/CPU has some interesting possibilities here.

My biggest question remains unanswered though...the future of ATi chipsets for Intel CPUs.

i can't wait to purchase an AMD board with an AMD chipset!! i got sick of nvidia chipsets, which made me switch to Intel. Stupid nforce firewall (a "feature" that corrupts files) and their IDE drivers, again, some file corruption.

jebo_4jc said:
8 mins into it.

He is right about one thing....the power available in the AVIVO video converter makes a damn fast video encoding CPU....the integrated GPU/CPU has some interesting possibilities here.

Indeed, I'm keeping close tabs on this one. The one thing I hope that gets improved is ATI's integration into the windows platform. I hate that stupid Catalyst Control Center because it takes forever to load and do anything with, and I don't want a tray icon running in the background either however convenient. If I can get in and out quicker so much the better.

But that's a relatively tiny issue amongst many brought on by this merger.

(cf)Eclipse said:
can anyone post a transcript for those of us who are hearing impaired? :D

PM me and I will try and do one tonight.

Eärendil said:
I hate that stupid Catalyst Control Center because it takes forever to load and do anything with, and I don't want a tray icon running in the background either however convenient.
The Catalyst Control Center is a programming disaster. Not even Win XP with a million and one patches is as bloated and sluggish as CCC. Maybe ATI can learn a thing or two from AMD about keeping things simple.

ATI - video quality excellent. Software support - a work in progress.

I dont like the idea of a CPU/GPU on one chip. If they go that route then you will be stuck paying at least 1000 (guesstimate) if you want to change just your CPU or GPU. AMD seems to want to go the route of pretty much no components and system on a chip type of thing so that you dont upgrade your computer you replace the whole thing.

I don't think an integrated CPU / GPU is such a bad idea. Such a chip could definitely compete against Intel's systems with integrated graphics. Mark Rein will be happy, I'm sure. :p It'd be perfect for the laptop market, too. If AMD/ATI were really clever, this graphics capable CPU wouldn't clash with the optional addition of a true graphics card in desktop systems, which means another potential sale. Maybe the GPU on the combined chip could somehow complement the regular GPU, so nothing goes to waste.

Is it just me or does the "VP of Advanced Marketing" have really poor public speaking skills..? I've heard him say "uhhh" and "uhhmm" about 100 times so far, and I'm only 4 minutes in. Holy crap that's annoying.

Catalan said:
I don't think an integrated CPU / GPU is such a bad idea. Such a chip could definitely compete against Intel's systems with integrated graphics. Mark Rein will be happy, I'm sure. :p It'd be perfect for the laptop market, too. If AMD/ATI were really clever, this graphics capable CPU wouldn't clash with the optional addition of a true graphics card in desktop systems, which means another potential sale. Maybe the GPU on the combined chip could somehow complement the regular GPU, so nothing goes to waste.

Maybe one to do physics and the other 3D

I see a lot of potential with a CPU/GPU chip

I'm very intrigued to see what the future brings

I think it all smells like a crack hoes ass. Right now I have an Opteron 165 running at 2600mhz(thats an fx_60 folks). I payed 350 dollars or so for it.. I also have a 7900gt. that I payed around 350 dollars for..

Now with the proposed cpu/gpu "thingy" I wont have the option to buy a cheap cpu and and an expensive video card. I will have to get tommorow's "celeron" bundled with the cheapest slowest POS of a gpu they can stick in it. all full well knowing that my CPU is fast enough for probably 2 more GPU evolutions. No more getting the best cpu deal and the best gpu deal. now you get Slow, Half Assed, or Fast, for what 200$ 500$ 950$(just a guess). There is no room left for savings in either arena. Its bullshit.

The guy only said 3 real things in 10 min. CPU/GPU, We still love nVidia even though we just became thier number one competitor and AMD needs a chipset so instead of spending way less money and just making our own we bought a Video card company? The rest was marketing filler and stuttering and im not buying it.

I hope I'm wrong and nothing but goodness comes from this. but, I only see the consumer loseing on this one.

BallerX said:
I think it all smells like a crack hoes ass. Right now I have an Opteron 165 running at 2600mhz(thats an fx_60 folks). I payed 350 dollars or so for it.. I also have a 7900gt. that I payed around 350 dollars for..

Now with the proposed cpu/gpu "thingy" I wont have the option to buy a cheap cpu and and an expensive video card. I will have to get tommorow's "celeron" bundled with the cheapest slowest POS of a gpu they can stick in it. all full well knowing that my CPU is fast enough for probably 2 more GPU evolutions. No more getting the best cpu deal and the best gpu deal. now you get Slow, Half Assed, or Fast, for what 200$ 500$ 950$(just a guess). There is no room left for savings in either arena. Its bullshit.

The guy only said 3 real things in 10 min. CPU/GPU, We still love nVidia even though we just became thier number one competitor and AMD needs a chipset so instead of spending way less money and just making our own we bought a Video card company? The rest was marketing filler and stuttering and im not buying it.

I hope I'm wrong and nothing but goodness comes from this. but, I only see the consumer loseing on this one.

You’re not very bright. The cpu/gpu is targeted more for business/dell systems.. Also, AMD mentioned many times that you will still have a choice, so you can still get a stand alone cpu and graphics card.

...“Yes, if the Nvidia graphics offer a best solution for a customer’s needs, they will be integrated into our solutions”...

This raises the question; will Nvidia be able to create a "best solution" with future AMD processors?
Will future AMD processor architecture exclude Nvidia?

Will future AMD cooperation with Nvidia be at the same level?

BoogerBomb said:
I dont like the idea of a CPU/GPU on one chip. If they go that route then you will be stuck paying at least 1000 (guesstimate) if you want to change just your CPU or GPU. AMD seems to want to go the route of pretty much no components and system on a chip type of thing so that you dont upgrade your computer you replace the whole thing.

Well idealy you are going to get a CPU that matches the GPU, so when you upgrade one it'll probably be time to upgrade the other as well. For example you don't want to own an Athlon XP and a X1900XT.

I think there is allot of potential for this type of solution, both at the low and high end.

I think this will help ATI in the long run. AMD could push them along when it comes to making better drivers and control panels.

Catalan said:

Yeah, that is a good point... I'm wondering if they couldnt do a spin on Crossfire to make performance of add in cards additive with the integrated GPU?

mjz_5 said:
You’re not very bright. The cpu/gpu is targeted more for business/dell systems.. Also, AMD mentioned many times that you will still have a choice, so you can still get a stand alone cpu and graphics card.

I agree, integrated graphics on cpu will be for low cost, the same way the majority of shipments now have intel integrated video on the Mobo. On the high end what im hoping they do is provide a gpu socket, with an HT link to the proc and dimm slots if normal DDR2 is fast enough. That way if its similar to MXM modules we can swap like we would a processor. Something like that with some memory on the chip, say 64mb as a fast L3 to mask latencies sounds like it could be nice.

An integrated video/gpu solution would be fine at work - like the hpDC5000 that I'm typing this on.

At home, not interested.

The money is in the HP and Dell's of the world, not us.

Matt126 said:
Is it just me or does the "VP of Advanced Marketing" have really poor public speaking skills..? I've heard him say "uhhh" and "uhhmm" about 100 times so far, and I'm only 4 minutes in. Holy crap that's annoying.

You're exactly right, geez. It became a bit funny just listening to how many times he said uhh and ummm.

Matt126 said:
that is the reason i stopped watching about 2 mins into it.

Look fellas you may not agree, But don't personally attack me for it. :confused:

BAAAAAH go the sheep!!!

I'm currently holding off for K8L and haven't really been a big fan of ATI because of past ATI cards that I have owned. Maybe this will give me a turn of feelings and return to ATI.

Well he certainly talked about the culture at amd, but nothing on ati. Made it clear to me that ati is gone and will be fully integrated quickly. Likely next move will be to sell off parts that don't fit their plan, will also help disguise the layoffs that are sure to come.

mjz_5 said:
i can't wait to purchase an AMD board with an AMD chipset!! i got sick of nvidia chipsets, which made me switch to Intel. Stupid nforce firewall (a "feature" that corrupts files) and their IDE drivers, again, some file corruption.

Right, because ATI chipsets don't have (for example) shit USB performance, and the drivers *always* work as expected. (Not.)

CPU/GPU solutions will target OEM manufacturers and I think that if they pull it off it'll spell very good things for AMD/ATI.

People seem concerned -rightly- that AMD might pull out the cash off ATi's R&D on the high end GPU sector to concentrate more on the integrated and CE stuff, I think that it'd be a very stupid move on AMD's part leaving Nvidia as the only high end GPU player out there and I wish it wouldn't happen as it'd be bad news for us consumers.

Back