AMD Athlon II X2 2xxe availability

movax

2[H]4U
Looking at replacing the 4850e in my fileserver because OpenSolaris doesn't support PowerNow for AMD families older than Family 16. It's a 45W part, nice and easy on the power bill.

So, the Athlon II X2 245 Regor (2.9GHz, 65W) has a nice price on the egg, ~59USD, but looking at it on AMD's website, they make energy-efficient versions of all the Athlon II series. Searches for the Athlon II X2 245e on Froogle turn up nothing though, is this CPU still not released yet, or only available to the major OEMs like HP/Dell?

Provantage has a bunch of the e cpus in X2 all the way up to X4, but no 245. Looks like the 240e is the cheapest right now, around $72.

Looking at replacing the 4850e in my fileserver because OpenSolaris doesn't support PowerNow for AMD families older than Family 16. It's a 45W part, nice and easy on the power bill.

So, the Athlon II X2 245 Regor (2.9GHz, 65W) has a nice price on the egg, ~59USD, but looking at it on AMD's website, they make energy-efficient versions of all the Athlon II series. Searches for the Athlon II X2 245e on Froogle turn up nothing though, is this CPU still not released yet, or only available to the major OEMs like HP/Dell?

just undervolt the x2 245.. most of them undervolt pretty well.. and if the systems only used as a file server and nothing else just enable cool 'n quiet and it will sit at 800mhz .9v so the TDP wont be that big of a deal..

just undervolt the x2 245.. most of them undervolt pretty well.. and if the systems only used as a file server and nothing else just enable cool 'n quiet and it will sit at 800mhz .9v so the TDP wont be that big of a deal..

Was thinking about this, but the 245e is identical to the 245 whilst being rated a full 20W lower at full-load...for ~$25 I think it might be worth it to grab the 245e.

the thing i would look up is what the exact full load wattage is on the 245 compared the 245e.. because a lot of AMD's low end processors are rated higher then they actually are.. just because they leave them in that rating.. i know a few of them while being rated at 65w are actually around 50w full load.. so it might be something worth looking into..

Last edited:
What difference does it make if it supports power now or not?

What difference does it make if it supports power now or not?

Uh, well with PowerNow, instead of my CPU sitting at 1.8GHz fixed (undervolted and such) and never frequency scaling, the CPU can scale itself down to 800MHz or whatever and save me power.

@sirmonkey1985, good point, I found a comparison here, reading now...

E: Upon further googling, looks like I'm just paying for the cherry-picked cores that can undervolt like crazy. I'm a cheapskate, maybe I'll just try my luck with a 245 :p

Uh, well with PowerNow, instead of my CPU sitting at 1.8GHz fixed (undervolted and such) and never frequency scaling, the CPU can scale itself down to 800MHz or whatever and save me power.

@sirmonkey1985, good point, I found a comparison here, reading now...

E: Upon further googling, looks like I'm just paying for the cherry-picked cores that can undervolt like crazy. I'm a cheapskate, maybe I'll just try my luck with a 245 :p

yeah id go the cheaper route as well.. i mean hell thats what i did with my x2 BE-2350(2.1ghz).. did some research into it.. found out it was the exact same brisbane core used in the x2 5000+ black edition except with a lower voltage and multiplier.. first boot i changed the voltage to 1.38v and overclocked it to 3ghz and it sat that way for over a year..

Yep, 245 ordered. Going to spend a hour or two undervolting/prime95/memTesting, and then leave it. Should be some nice power savings, hopefully.

Back