AMD Athlon II X2 240 bottlenecks Sapphire 7750 1GB GDDR5 ?

moking

n00b
im buying this card tomorrow...but heard that the AMD Athlon II X2 240 may bottleneck the Sapphire 7750 1GB GDDR5.
is that right ? and if it is , will it decrease the GPU's performance greatly ?

Going to depend on the game...

Games like Warhammer 40k: Space Marine and Grand Theft Auto IV will be pretty much unplayable with that processor (I know, I've tried, ended up replacing an Athlon II X2 240e with a Core i3-3245 because of performance issues).

Can't speak for the other two, but BF3 wont be very happy on a 240... especially not if you're planning on playing online.

You should be able to upgrade the x2 to a Phenom II x4 965 for cheap.

You should be able to upgrade the x2 to a Phenom II x4 965 for cheap.
Make sure his motherboard can handle it before you recommend that...

His current CPU, depending on which variant it is, is very low wattage.
Athlon II X2 240 = 65w
Athlon II X2 240e = 45w

Some AMD motherboards are max-rated for 90w processors, and dropping a 125w part like the Phenom II X4 965 into them will cause the MOSFETs to (quite literally) explode.

And then you have to consider a Core i3-3254 costs about the same as a Phenom II X4 965... except the Core i3 is a 55w part, has much better single-threaded performance, and pretty much equivalent multi-threaded performance.

That motherboard actually supports 140w processors, so you're covered on that front.

Could toss a Phenom II X6 1045t in there, overclock it a bit, and get a truly worthwhile performance boost.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Pretty sure I have a Phenom II x4 955 laying around that I would sell you for cheap if you want it.

Back