AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (BlackEdition) + 2GB Kingston Ram = $108

Or, if you don't mind MIRs, you can pair it with 2gb of Corsair XMS2 for $105 + shipping after a $30 rebate on the memory.

Any suggestions on a solid motherboard in the same general price range to go with this?

MSI K9A2 Platinum 580X (crossfire), both are great I just built a system with them and with about 20 minutes of fiddling the BE is at like 3.06 completely stable

my only complaint on the board is not enough voltage options

Good deal, I snagged the BE and the Kingston....that plus an ATI 3850 <?> will do a nice job for my son's 1440x900 setup....

Good deal, I ordered the Athlon 5000+ and Crucial Ballistix combo earlier. I ordered the GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+ motherboard as well. Total came to $261.30 shipped. This processor does not come with a heatsink and fan. What affordable HSFs are you guys looking at to overclock this bad boy?

quick question, what's warranty on 5000be if any before i try amd again?

Damn!

I just bought a used BE 5000 a few weeks ago for just under that. That and then $50 for some g.skill DDR800.

Where was this deal then! :D

Guys you can buy GEMINI II from different sites for alot cheaper. ClubIt has it for $13, go through HOT DEALS pages you will find some good deals.

Im lookin for a CPU for a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H AMD 690G mATX Motherboard
This CPU worth it?
I was thinking about goin with the AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ CPU

How does this CPU compare to the AMD Althon 64 FX60 (939) I currently have? Just trying to see if this would be a good upgrade or not.

In for one and a motherboard. Picked up an open box M2N-SLI, hoping it's a good upgrade from my current setup in sig.

I'm hoping I can sell my ram for a bit, since DDR1 is so much these days. Granted, I'm not going to get the $180 I payed for it, but I'm guessing around $100.

I am picking this up for my friend who wants a new cheap system. I will probably go with the Gigabyte GA-M57SLi-S4. Very nice deal!

To the previous poster with the question about the FX-60. The clock speeds are the same, The cache on the 5000+ is lower.
The FX- 60 uses more power and produces more heat. They both have unlocked multipliers. The 5000+ seems to be a better overclocker.
Socket 939 is fading away, and not being made anymore. DDR memory is way more expensive than DDR 2.
Will you see much of an improvement? Probably, depending on you overclocking skills. Good upgrade? Probably not, you are going to have to
buy a new MotherBoard, and processor and memory at the bare minimum, however you will have more of an updated technology so that may be a benefit to you.
What ever you decide, good luck!!

I am picking this up for my friend who wants a new cheap system. I will probably go with the Gigabyte GA-M57SLi-S4. Very nice deal!

To the previous poster with the question about the FX-60. The clock speeds are the same, The cache on the 5000+ is lower.
The FX- 60 uses more power and produces more heat. They both have unlocked multipliers. The 5000+ seems to be a better overclocker.
Socket 939 is fading away, and not being made anymore. DDR memory is way more expensive than DDR 2.
Will you see much of an improvement? Probably, depending on you overclocking skills. Good upgrade? Probably not, you are going to have to
buy a new MotherBoard, and processor and memory at the bare minimum, however you will have more of an updated technology so that may be a benefit to you.
What ever you decide, good luck!!

clock for clock, you won't be gaining much vs. an FX-60. this deal only makes sense for someone with a low end X-2, or someone that is still running single core.

Hmm. I am curious how much of an improvement this would be over my current. I know my current is 90nm but has the higher L2 Cache vs this one. Mine doesnt OC all that well compaired to this one.

And I would like to get a dual core into my HTPC... Good deal

the L2 cache isn't much of a factor on AMD chips, which is why most of them don't have much cache. This is offset by the onboard memory controller (hyper transport). The black edition is great, but the main point of it is overclocking. If you don't plan on overclocking, get something else, unless this is the cheapest fast CPU you can get.

HT is the same between my current and this, only difference is that mine is 90 and this is 65w. So I think I'll jump on it to get OC power and cooler temps. Thanks OP, (and djkest)

I was also going to bite, but then they killed the good combos (there were a couple nice HD/mobo/RAM combos, take your pick on what you prefer). Without the combo I really can't see justifying the cost over an e2140/2160 unless you don't want to overclock.

I was also going to bite, but then they killed the good combos (there were a couple nice HD/mobo/RAM combos, take your pick on what you prefer). Without the combo I really can't see justifying the cost over an e2140/2160 unless you don't want to overclock.

the 5000+ BE oc's just fine

I don't know if I said this yet, but I've OC'd mine to 3.0GHz, at stock voltage. I'm not able to run at 3.2, my motherboard cannot handle it. I have run stably at 3.17 at 1.40V, but honestly it's not that much faster than 3.0 ... AMD likes the 200MHz cpu clock, IMHO at least.

I haven't seen anyone get 3.4GHz on these, but it's not uncommon for people to hit 3.2 right out of the box... if you have alot invested into an AMD motherboard, this is a good way to go. With C2Ds and the new wolfdale's coming out, it would be hard to recommend this over Intel to a hardcore user (unless you really need to save money). Just my 2c.

I've been able to hit 3.4 on a DFI Lanparty UT NF590 motherboard, but it's not stable. At 1.45v I can maintain 3.33 for about 3 hours before I get a Prime95 error, and 3.3 at stock voltage seems to be the sweet spot. I haven't done a long Prime95 yet though.

Thank you for the deal, mine should be here any day. Too bad it died so quickly for some of you :(

I've been able to hit 3.4 on a DFI Lanparty UT NF590 motherboard, but it's not stable. At 1.45v I can maintain 3.33 for about 3 hours before I get a Prime95 error, and 3.3 at stock voltage seems to be the sweet spot. I haven't done a long Prime95 yet though.

What cooler are you running? I have that same board...

Would this be a good upgrade from my current 3800x2 939, 1 gig pc3200?

I'd get 2x1gb to go with this and would try to OC this to at least 3.0, (using an XP-90) but would keep the 7800GT, knowing that would be the next item to upgrade.

I've got about $250 and want to make sure thats the best way to go right now.

Got mine today, but I forgot to check if my cooler fits AM2 boards. Ordered a Cooler Master Gemini II and some fans.

Back