AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz S939 for $139 at The Egg

Toireht said:
Is that Artic Freezer Pro quiet? If not, whats something thats cheap and quiet?

Buy thermaltake all in one water cooling for $54. Check the HOT DEAL, it will good for every one here either they wanna overclock or not.

Just ordered both, hopefully the HSF fits because I use all 4 RAM slots.

GlimmerMan said:
Its $23 at newegg, with free 3-day shipping. So it should ship with the FX-55, and most likely ship the same day. Monarch is $3 ground shipping. And lately,
monarch shipping has been a bit slow.

wow....it was $29.99 + shipping yesterday at the egg....i think i may pick another one up.

The Fx-55 OEM and 64 Cooler Pro came out to $162 w/ 3 day Fed-Ex shipping....not bad at all.

ewb302 said:
Anybody think that it would be worth experimenting with over my opteron 144? Right now, I can boot at 3.0 Ghz, but the multiplier is 9 and the HTT is through the roof (MAJOR ram divider). Perhaps the unlocked multi on the FX would help me. Or should I forget it and think about dual core?

For $139 you cant go wrong. Tons of these things hit 3.0Ghz with ease. The extra cache is also nice. Unless you multi-task (alot) there is no need for an X2 yet.

GlimmerMan said:
Its $23 at newegg, with free 3-day shipping. So it should ship with the FX-55, and most likely ship the same day. Monarch is $3 ground shipping. And lately, monarch shipping has been a bit slow.
DAMN, I bought mines from monarch for $26 shipped, but they shipped it out yesterday so I should get it by monday via fedex 2 day air :)

2Fresh said:
For $139 you cant go wrong. Tons of these things hit 3.0Ghz with ease. The extra cache is also nice. Unless you multi-task (alot) there is no need for an X2 yet.

Thanks for the response. I know that my current CPU runs at like 31 degrees idle and 40 load. I am worried the FX might run hotter. Mu current CPU is a 67W processor, while the FX is 104W. I suppose I am surpassed 67W with my overclock though. Also, I already have a 1MB L2, so there would be no difference. The only difference would be the unlocked multiplier and ability to run ram at 1:1

So I've got a 3700+ Sandy, 2gb of Corsair XMS and an X1900XTX. Would this chip be a noticeable upgrade for games like:

BF2
DoD:S
CS:S
CoD2

It's in my cart right now, I'm seeing if should pull the trigger on this beast.

BrownThunder said:
So I've got a 3700+ Sandy, 2gb of Corsair XMS and an X1900XTX. Would this chip be a noticeable upgrade for games like:

BF2
DoD:S
CS:S
CoD2

It's in my cart right now, I'm seeing if should pull the trigger on this beast.
The proc you have is based on the same core as the FX-55..all you will gain is a higher stock speed and an unlocked multi for whatever that is worth. This would be a decent upgrade for someone still running a 3200+ but for you I would say spend your money elsewhere..

I cant get this code to work I entered in the code wheni made a account do i need to enter my shipping info too inorder for the savings to show?

And im just curious why anyone would need the x2 for gaming theres no benefits for dual cores in gaming yet.

Btw im with a sempron 2600+ will i see a huge performance increase and where will i see it?

(lags with programs double tasking alot)

I play css and guild wars occasionally and will be playing WoW soon/

sempron is low end, and clocks a lot lower with a lot less cache. difference in everything.

mercedes-benz said:
Btw im with a sempron 2600+ will i see a huge performance increase and where will i see it?

For you, the difference will be like night and day. You do have a 939 mobo, right?

Well guys, mines been shipped! I am awaiting for it on monday! YAY!

Now who wants to start a thread to see who got the best overclocking chip? haha

whats a good mobo for the fx-55? Bang for buck, no overclocking just stability (for a client).

thanks.

GlimmerMan said:
For you, the difference will be like night and day. You do have a 939 mobo, right?

joemama said:
The proc you have is based on the same core as the FX-55..all you will gain is a higher stock speed and an unlocked multi for whatever that is worth.

"you will gain a higher stock speed" "unlocked multiplier". No doubt a higher stock speed will help him out a bit. And an unlocked multiplier can amount to quite a lot when overclocking...3Ghz almost assured (go read the reviews from users, I have). I do agree he wont see a huge performance increase.. unless he oc's it, but why buy it if you are not planning on it? That is why most are buying... for the unlocked multiplier, and the hope of a great oc!

:)

creedAMD said:
whats a good mobo for the fx-55? Bang for buck, no overclocking just stability (for a client).

thanks.
Asus A8N5X...cheap as dirt for a Nforce 4 but solid as a rock.

Ahhh...can't...resist....ok,fine bought it :D

The 3200+ (worthy old cpu - almost two years, oc'd all the way) will eventually go in my son or wife's box (still on socket A's). I do not need dual core (mostly games and video encoding done while I do other things) and I can wait for the next gen (@2.8-3 Ghz, I can probably wait until 2008)

Thanks [H]otDEALs!!!

still running on a Socket A here ... this is quite tempting to upgrade ... but it would be a CPU/Mobo/GPU upgrade on my end.

mikeohara you don't need a GPU upgrade you can find a nForce 3 motherboard that supports AGP video cards. I mean yeah you will be video card limited but if you're running like a Geforce 6800 or something like that you'll get a nice performance boost from the FX cpu. If I didn't just upgrade to a Opteron 170 I'd be all over this myself.

Man, I am still on the fence about trying this. On one hand, I don't think it will do any better than my opteron 144 (I can hit 3.0Ghz at 1.4v). On the other hand, unlocked multipliers would be great. What would you guys do, lol?

mikeohara said:
still running on a Socket A here ... this is quite tempting to upgrade ... but it would be a CPU/Mobo/GPU upgrade on my end.
Me too,, wondering if I could get a decent agp mobo and the fx-55 for about 200

MedicaL said:
Me too,, wondering if I could get a decent agp mobo and the fx-55 for about 200

I'm in the same boat, is there any good agp motherboards that will work with this chip?

If I decide to go with a x2 3800 processor is it possible to use my same pc3200 ddr ram and find an agp board?

Thanks.

Can't get the promo code to work. Same deal, signed up for a new account, entered the code (with and without quotes :p) and it doesn't make a difference. OH well. :(

Triple B said:
Can't get the promo code to work. Same deal, signed up for a new account, entered the code (with and without quotes :p) and it doesn't make a difference. OH well. :(

I just went through the procedure and the AMDROCKS code worked for me (make sure you're logged in when you hit the "Apply" button). I didn't complete the purchase since I already pulled the trigger last week.

Triple B said:
Same here.

Promo code worked for me. I had a pre-existing account though, don't know if that helped.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with my old Athlon 3500+. I don't have nearly enough old parts sitting around to build yet another computer that I will never use.

i just bought one...upgrading fro my 939 3000+ venice @ 2.6ghz...289 fsb

i hope with the better memory controller, more cache and unlocked multiplier i can hit easily 3ghz and my DDR500 ram can finally run @ 250mhz or higher..i have it @ like 238 right now LOL

good deal! was 140 with tax in ca, sucks :p

free shipping though :D

yup getting mines tomorrow in the mail fosho!

I hope I can hit 3GHZ with 1.6v at least. I am not going higher than 1.6 on air :)

I wonder if it will come with a sticker.......

Back