AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz S939 for $139 at The Egg

Check it out...you have to enter promo code "AMDROCKS" to get the $50 off. It's regulary $189.

Check it

Update: I've been told that this is a limited time offer while supplies last. :mad:

Worked for me. That is AWESOME! I don't know if I should buy it or not though :(

Good upgrade over AMD64 3000+ s754 venice at stock speeds?

Smashed Ixnay said:
Worked for me. That is AWESOME! I don't know if I should buy it or not though :(

Good upgrade over AMD64 3000+ s754 venice at stock speeds?

what he said. would it be a worthwhile upgrade for this rig?

Single core..ugh. Still a good price considering the stock speed and unlocked multi though.

d94 said:

enter promo code

and from a stock 3000+ socket old, yes, it would be rather noticable (if you game).

just sucks its not dual core :(

still hot tho.

tt, i would have been all over this before the amd price drop on dual cores

lodingi said:
so dual core would be better?
If your primary use is gaming then the FX-55 would be fine....dual core is snappier for multitasking and future games will make use of both cores.

I just snagged one of these for my 14 year old son's system to upgrade his Athlon 64 3200+ with. I have an extra stock heatpipe heatsink/fan combo off of a X2 4600+ to slap on it. Damn, how the once mighty FX-55 has fallen in price. :eek: :cool:

Just enter the AMDROCKS promo code in the prome code box during checkout. It just worked for me a couple of minutes ago. :cool: It sure will be sweet when the socket 939 FX-60 drops in price like this.

grabbed one, just received my 3700+ Sandy today too, but this is such a nice deal! I am hoping to hit at least 3ghz though :)

So very tempting...I'm sitting here staring at my cart.

techie81 said:
So very tempting...I'm sitting here staring at my cart.

Me too...stared at it last night...starring at it this morning. But I just picked up a 3800+ A64 that will do 2.6GHz no sweat...is it worth it for the extra 512k of cache? I'm debating it very hard...

Such an excellent price... MUST RESIST.

Well guys think about it before buy. It is a single core processor, for the price of dual core X2 3800.

I don;t see why any body want to spend that much for single core when you can get dual core, even it has multiplier unlock option.

X23800 will overclock as high as this one and blow it away.

annaconda said:
X23800 will overclock as high as this one and blow it away.

Thats not true all the time. What you see here and other sites are a few enthusiasts that can get nice overclocks. Take my 4200+. Tried 3 different boards and 2 different types of memory and it will not budge past 2.5Ghz for 24/7 operations. I would say all FX-55 will hit 2.8Ghz, if not close to 3Ghz. X3800's won't do that on a regular basis. And for my nephews new build, why does he or most ppl that just play games need dual core? Not like there is an advantage to it.

Thanks for the link OP. Gonna get 2 for my new builds. :)

Remember, this is an 104W cpu

I'd grab one except I think my sff would burn up! the 110w 4800+ I stuck in it kept overheating. The 3000+ 67W I have in there idles at 37C.

Rob

I know this has been asked before but how big of an improvement would I see in my games? I just dont know if I should wait till January when I will probaly upgrade my videocard too.

Games that I play are:
Total War
Everquest2
FEAR
CSS
Titan Quest
FSX (when it comes out)

I know the total war games use a lot of CPU power and was hoping this would allow me to set my army sizes to huge...

SnowBeast said:
Thats not true all the time. What you see here and other sites are a few enthusiasts that can get nice overclocks. Take my 4200+. Tried 3 different boards and 2 different types of memory and it will not budge past 2.5Ghz for 24/7 operations. I would say all FX-55 will hit 2.8Ghz, if not close to 3Ghz. X3800's won't do that on a regular basis. And for my nephews new build, why does he or most ppl that just play games need dual core? Not like there is an advantage to it.

Thanks for the link OP. Gonna get 2 for my new builds. :)

Dude overclock is an art. You should learn how to overclock, but any way, in a couple of months there will quad cores out, and in couple of months you will see games that will take advantage of dual cores also.

Buy an obsolete thing which will be history "socket 939" is a waste of money in my point of view.

Toireht said:
I know this has been asked before but how big of an improvement would I see in my games? I just dont know if I should wait till January when I will probaly upgrade my videocard too.

Games that I play are:
Total War
Everquest2
FEAR
CSS
Titan Quest
FSX (when it comes out)

I know the total war games use a lot of CPU power and was hoping this would allow me to set my army sizes to huge...

Going from 1.8 GHz to 2.6 GHz and 512 KB to 1 MB cache, you will see a signifigant difference in CPU-bound games.

annaconda said:
Dude overclock is an art. You should learn how to overclock, but any way, in a couple of months there will quad cores out, and in couple of months you will see games that will take advantage of dual cores also.

Buy an obsolete thing which will be history "socket 939" is a waste of money in my point of view.

But some people rather spend the time playing games than overclocking, so they want fast stock speeds. And some people don't overclock because they use their computer for other purposes and dont want to risk corrupting their data.

This an awesome deal for people looking to upgrade a budget system. Nothing is a waste of money as long as it can be put to good use. I see people here upgrade every time a new GPU/CPU comes out. Now that is a waste of money because they are paying premium price every time.

Just got one. Cant wait to see what it will do on the Promie Mach II :D sshhhhwwweeeeeetttt!

Since its OEM it doesn't come with a heatsink, correct? If so, do I need to pick one up or can I just use the heatsink from my amd venice 3000+?

My general opinion is that if someone is going to ugprade their single-core S939 CPU, they'd probably be better off doing so with a dual-core chip, such as the 3800+ X2.

There are exceptions, such as those who only run a single application and need absolute performance for it w/o having to worry about water cooling, etc.

Toireht said:
Since its OEM it doesnt come with a heatsink, correct? If so, do I need to pick one up or can I just use the heatsink from my amd venice 3000+?

Correct, no HSF with the OEM. If you use the stock HSF that came with your 3000+, the FX-55 will be running pretty hot. I would pick up something like the arctic freezer pro.

beowulf7 said:
My general opinion is that if someone is going to ugprade their single-core S939 CPU, they'd probably be better off doing so with a dual-core chip, such as the 3800+ X2.

There are exceptions, such as those who only run a single application and need absolute performance for it w/o having to worry about water cooling, etc.

Yeah, but I would hope that is general knowledge. My rig is for games and listening to tunes. I have no need for an X2 at this time. I also do not consider this an upgrade.... just something to dick around with and see how high it can clock. :) I have always wante to see what an unlocked FX chip can do on a Promie. And having an FX chip is just plain cool as hell. D)

2Fresh said:
Yeah, but I would hope that is general knowledge. My rig is for games and listening to tunes. I have no need for an X2 at this time. I also do not consider this an upgrade.... just something to dick around with and see how high it can clock. :) I have always wante to see what an unlocked FX chip can do on a Promie. And having an FX chip is just plain cool as hell. D)
That makes sense. I figured gamers would be interested in this deal.

In about a year, I'll be ready to upgrade to a fast X2, like perhaps the 4600+ or 4800+. I'm currently riding a 3200+ (Venice) and it's pretty good. :cool:

GlimmerMan said:
Correct, no HSF with the OEM. If you use the stock HSF that came with your 3000+, the FX-55 will be running pretty hot. I would pick up something like the arctic freezer pro.

Is that Artic Freezer Pro quiet? If not, whats something thats cheap and quiet?

Anybody think that it would be worth experimenting with over my opteron 144? Right now, I can boot at 3.0 Ghz, but the multiplier is 9 and the HTT is through the roof (MAJOR ram divider). Perhaps the unlocked multi on the FX would help me. Or should I forget it and think about dual core?

Back