AMD at CES 2021 @ 10am CST

I have grown tired of his constant whining, but I have to say, I think his whining was 100% on point this time. AMD's worst showing by far. AMD marketing screwed the pooch on this one, then washed the dog's ass off with a dirty bucket of sewer water and went back for sloppy seconds. It was a painful 50 minutes. Steve certainly has some delusions of grandeur going on over there though.
Yeah, he does seem to be getting more and more arrogant as time goes on. I do enjoy the depth of their content, though (generally).

Also, it's not like this type of thing (executives fellating each other over products) is some sort of new and shocking occurrence - sure, it was pretty embarrassing for AMD, but it's not like this has never happened before. Steve was a little more than over the top about it.

In Steve’s defense his analysis is pretty solid for a Tech Tuber.

I mean we are a long ways away from the days of well research written articles on that explain technical concepts. Those days are long gone.

I have to agree with steve here, this was by far the most boring and useless presentation. Full of self congratulation, corporate marketingspeak, and buzzwords of the month. This felt a lot more like the intel presentations of old, not AMD.

I have to agree with steve here, this was by far the most boring and useless presentation. Full of self congratulation, corporate marketingspeak, and buzzwords of the month. This felt a lot more like the intel presentations of old, not AMD.
I guess AMD is still drunk on all that console money and it's making them act stupid.

I expect AMD to turn into Intel in the coming years if Intel doesn't finally get their shit togather.

Last edited:
Intel just bought a significant portion of TSMC’s 5nm and 3nm fab time so things are going to get interesting.

Intel just bought a significant portion of TSMC’s 5nm and 3nm fab time so things are going to get interesting.
Been hearing about this the last few days. I don't pay a lot of attention to this but has there been much talk about Intel on 5 and 3nm? It seems kind of out of the blue for them to jump there when they're still stuck on 14 and struggling with the next 2 nodes.

Been hearing about this the last few days. I don't pay a lot of attention to this but has there been much talk about Intel on 5 and 3nm? It seems kind of out of the blue for them to jump there when they're still stuck on 14 and struggling with the next 2 nodes.
I started a different thread for it, but Intel is doing 5nm i3's for later this year, and high-end desktop CPU's on 3nm in later 2022, they are also offloading 15-20% of their non CPU chips, that way they can work on doing the higher-margin higher volume parts to meet demand while upgrading more of their fabs to 10nm.

I want that 14 minutes and 3 seconds of my life back.

a 14 minute video saying nothing about how a 50 minute video said nothing.
I thought it was at least marginally amusing, unlike AMD's conference.

I mean we are a long ways away from the days of well research written articles on that explain technical concepts. Those days are long gone.

Wasn't that Anandtech's old forte -- their contextual explanations? Yeah, not seeing a lot of that (nowadays) from almost all the tech review sites/Tubers.

Wasn't that Anandtech's old forte -- their contextual explanations? Yeah, not seeing a lot of that (nowadays) from almost all the tech review sites/Tubers.
I miss them, but the work that goes into them for the revenue they generate isn't great, do up a 12-page article that 95% skip to the conclusion for and 5% read through but entirely while using an add blocker doesn't bring in much. I think they still do but the things they can do it for are much fewer now.

I really wish they would have talked about Threadripper. I know its "early", but I've always disliked a schedule where (especially high end desktop) are significantly delayed behind the mainstream of the same architecture. I didn't like it when Intel would do it (I remember those few times when the high end, including the Nahalem era came out before or in parity with the mainstream!) Especially with leaks of a potential TR 16c/32t part again, there are likely those who are considering what the next iteration will show and weighing it against a Zen3 Ryzen build

. Asking people to wait until 6 months or so past mainstream to launch a high end item using the same chip/process is asinine, especially with the expense involved. By the time Threadripper becomes available - with likely $1000+ CPUs, $800+ high end mobos (ROG Zenith tier), the requirements for quad channel RAM etc... I wonder if they will use more or less an iteration of existing TRX40 boards or something new? If they don't create something new, then its going to be even harder not to convince people to just wait another 4-6 months for the new Zen 4 stuff to be announced, especially if it is going to be a new socket, USB 4 native etc. Asking your big spenders to come late to the tech isn't wise.

I really wish they would have talked about Threadripper. I know its "early", but I've always disliked a schedule where (especially high end desktop) are significantly delayed behind the mainstream of the same architecture. I didn't like it when Intel would do it (I remember those few times when the high end, including the Nahalem era came out before or in parity with the mainstream!) Especially with leaks of a potential TR 16c/32t part again, there are likely those who are considering what the next iteration will show and weighing it against a Zen3 Ryzen build

. Asking people to wait until 6 months or so past mainstream to launch a high end item using the same chip/process is asinine, especially with the expense involved. By the time Threadripper becomes available - with likely $1000+ CPUs, $800+ high end mobos (ROG Zenith tier), the requirements for quad channel RAM etc... I wonder if they will use more or less an iteration of existing TRX40 boards or something new? If they don't create something new, then its going to be even harder not to convince people to just wait another 4-6 months for the new Zen 4 stuff to be announced, especially if it is going to be a new socket, USB 4 native etc. Asking your big spenders to come late to the tech isn't wise.
Consumer launches line up with Christmas, Business and Enterprise launches line up with the beginning of Q4, so they can get large expenditures done to finish out the year's budget and tap into the start of their Q1. Most Business and Enterprise clients run their fiscal Year-End for July, so you see the big-ticket items being purchased a month or 2 on either side of it.

Realistically they need to stretch out their releases, if they announced them all at once they don't have the means of producing them all at once so it would just be paper launches across the board, and I think AMD has said they are moving to an 18-month cycle instead of a 12, so they can better (insert marketing speak here). Either way I get the impression they are ending the TRX40 lineup for the Threadrippers and going with the TRX80 instead and the 5000 launch will only be the Threadripper Pro's, which simplifies a few things as then they can use a combination of EPYC and Ryzen parts instead of having to create a 3'rd controller for the Threadrippers specifically.

Last edited:
Consumer launches line up with Christmas, Business and Enterprise launches line up with the beginning of Q4, so they can get large expenditures done to finish out the year's budget and tap into the start of their Q1. Most Business and Enterprise clients run their fiscal Year-End for July, so you see the big-ticket items being purchased a month or 2 on either side of it.

Realistically they need to stretch out their releases, if they announced them all at once they don't have the means of producing them all at once so it would just be paper launches across the board, and I think AMD has said they are moving to an 18-month cycle instead of a 12, so they can better (insert marketing speak here). Either way I get the impression they are ending the TRX40 lineup for the Threadrippers and going with the TRX80 instead and the 5000 launch will only be the Threadripper Pro's, which simplifies a few things as then they can use a combination of EPYC and Ryzen parts instead of having to create a 3'rd controller for the Threadrippers specifically.

If they're seriously going to treat Threadripper exclusively as a "Four figure workstation/server build, not five figure workstation/server" platform as TR PRO vs EPYC that's fine, if they intend to make it a "business thing" not a "high end desktop/mixed use thing". Same with the times/dates you mention, that makes sense. However, the leak about a 16-core Zen3 Threadripper sounded like they may have been going back to the Zen, Zen+, era of HEDT options. If they're not planning to do this (which, would make sense if they continue exclusively on the path from the last Zen2 kit, where TRX40 was alongside a $1400 24 core or $2000 32 core setup that wasn't really suitable for single or few thread performance. ) that's okay, but it does seem a bit odd to not deal with the naming setup properly.

If this is the case, I hope their announcement in the next few months basically confirms it that they're moving exclusive to Threadripper PRO and that it isn't "really" a high end desktop / mixed use system platform anymore.

I think the resizable bar coverage was particularly a good example of that, which youtuber explaining what it was, it's implication and what possible expectation to have from it ? I wonder how many of them even made hardware (driver or physical part) or just coded a 3d engine in the past and kept up with innovation since or for most just coded shaders in their life.

It seem to be a lot of being enthusiast about using it and not about having made it that funnel people into that work line, I remember reading an analysis of an announced raytracing specialized card written a long time ago written by John Carmack in the comment section and thinking how different if someone like him would review new hardware, I feel is opinion about if 10 gig of VRAM is enough, 6 core/12 thread or at least go for the 8 core, what resizable bar can do or not, DDR5, etc.... would come with so much more hindsight than the blind speculation we get from virtually all youtuber.

Anybody notice when she was highlighting the 5900HX w/ Horizon Zero Dawn at 22:00 mark that the frames were stuttering? She was literally saying that the frame rates were smooth at 100 frames meanwhile it looked like it was struggling like hell LOL
Just saying.

If they're seriously going to treat Threadripper exclusively as a "Four figure workstation/server build, not five figure workstation/server" platform as TR PRO vs EPYC that's fine, if they intend to make it a "business thing" not a "high end desktop/mixed use thing". Same with the times/dates you mention, that makes sense. However, the leak about a 16-core Zen3 Threadripper sounded like they may have been going back to the Zen, Zen+, era of HEDT options. If they're not planning to do this (which, would make sense if they continue exclusively on the path from the last Zen2 kit, where TRX40 was alongside a $1400 24 core or $2000 32 core setup that wasn't really suitable for single or few thread performance. ) that's okay, but it does seem a bit odd to not deal with the naming setup properly.

If this is the case, I hope their announcement in the next few months basically confirms it that they're moving exclusive to Threadripper PRO and that it isn't "really" a high end desktop / mixed use system platform anymore.
A 16/32 core Threadripper vs a 16/32 core Ryzen 5000 series would probably run everything about the same, but the Threadripper system would be priced prohibitively higher because of the more expensive memory and motherboard. So in the situation where you are more in need of the PCIE lanes, I could see it working out but that is a hefty penalty to pay unless they have some sort of smaller more basic motherboard in the works that the AIB's haven't leaked yet. But at least a TR Pro in that space would be able to offer something unique aside from just more PCIE lanes. AMD is in a strange spot, they really can't afford to launch parts that are too niche, they just don't have the fab time to spare so they really need to focus on their core and delivering products for the markets they want to be in heavily. But their tight-lipped stance towards the Threadrippers at this stage makes me think they are sitting on some bigger changes towards the lineup. But I really don't think that AMD can afford the fab time to dedicate to yet another platform, Console, GPU, Ryzen, Threadripper, Threadripper Pro, EPYC Embedded, EPYC. That's too many and something has to give, or they need to consolidate.

I started a different thread for it, but Intel is doing 5nm i3's for later this year, and high-end desktop CPU's on 3nm in later 2022, they are also offloading 15-20% of their non CPU chips, that way they can work on doing the higher-margin higher volume parts to meet demand while upgrading more of their fabs to 10nm.
I'll go look, but is there more of a confirmation than what looks like a press release site?

Back