AMD Appoints Dr. Lisa Su as President and CEO, Read Steps Down

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that its board of directors has appointed Dr. Lisa Su as president and chief executive officer and member of the board of directors, effective immediately. Dr. Su, 44, succeeds Rory Read, 52, who has stepped down as president and chief executive officer, and member of the board of directors, as part of a transition plan. Read will support the transition in an advisory role, remaining with the company through the end of 2014.

Commenting on her appointment, Dr. Su said, “I am deeply honored to have this opportunity to lead AMD during this important time of transformation. Our world-class technology assets combined with the incredible talent and passion of the AMD team provide us with a unique opportunity to shape the future of computing. I look forward to expanding on the strong foundation we have built under Rory’s leadership as we develop industry-leading technologies and products for a diverse set of markets to drive sustainable and profitable growth.”

Lisa Su has been acting like the CEO for quite awhile now. Glad to see her take over!

I hope AMD doesn't give up totally on x86 if major changes are coming. I really like the idea of them kinda pushing the integrated graphics stuff along and making a product like the E-series chips to sit in that gap between mainstream processors and Atom stuff.

lol, I guess AMD's strategy du jour under Read was no longer appreciated. The bad ARM strategy could get dumped sooner than later now.

I hope AMD doesn't give up totally on x86 if major changes are coming. I really like the idea of them kinda pushing the integrated graphics stuff along and making a product like the E-series chips to sit in that gap between mainstream processors and Atom stuff.

APU's are the future as AMD now measures performance in of Total Compute performance. They are cutting out all legacy products from the new Linux driver set to debut with the 300 series launch early 2015. They swapped IP with and entered an agreement with Synopsys; sending 150 engineers to Synopsys and gaining the 16/14-nanometer (nm) and 10-nm FinFET process technologies.

They also announced that they are no longer worried about Nvidia as competition. Only Intel keeps them up at night. That's an interesting statement to make. I wonder what that means in the long term graphics race. AMD has been changing a lot for the past year. With Dr. Lisa Su at the helm, I can only see them prospering more. When was the last time that they had 1 billion in cash reserves?

Nice interview to watch from Dr. Lisa Su on her appointment to CEO.

"...as we develop industry-leading technologies and products for a diverse set of markets to drive sustainable and profitable growth.”"

Damn she sure does have the CEO speak down!

Cq7mbLQ.png

APU's are the future as AMD now measures performance in of Total Compute performance. They are cutting out all legacy products from the new Linux driver set to debut with the 300 series launch early 2015. They swapped IP with and entered an agreement with Synopsys; sending 150 engineers to Synopsys and gaining the 16/14-nanometer (nm) and 10-nm FinFET process technologies.

They also announced that they are no longer worried about Nvidia as competition. Only Intel keeps them up at night. That's an interesting statement to make. I wonder what that means in the long term graphics race. AMD has been changing a lot for the past year. With Dr. Lisa Su at the helm, I can only see them prospering more. When was the last time that they had 1 billion in cash reserves?

Thanks for that! It's really insightful and puts a lot of my worries away. :)

I bet they file bankruptcy long before they pay it off.

Man, you suck the Nvidia teet so hard, you must be green in the face. Why don't you go say these things to the workers on AMD to their face and see how far you get. Yeah, I thought so. :rolleyes:

For me though, this CEO change seemed to come out of nowhere. Well, she does seem to have the credentials, hopefully she will not sink the ship.

AMD is screwed either way. Their GPU's are (at best) equal to Nvidia's, but they got hit hard with the frame-timing stuff; their CPU's are just plain shit; and their APU/Mobile stuff has to go up against four(?) other companies that have very good chips of their own.

AMD is screwed either way. Their GPU's are (at best) equal to Nvidia's, but they got hit hard with the frame-timing stuff; their CPU's are just plain shit; and their APU/Mobile stuff has to go up against four(?) other companies that have very good chips of their own.
But...their name is AMD so they got that going for them. :p

Even if you don't like AMD, if AMD goes down, we all lose.
Speaking of this, someone here informed me that MS (or Bill Gates) once injected 150 million into Apple in the 90's to keep them afloat so that the government wouldn't break them up for being a too big monopoly. Is it possible for Intel to inject money into AMD to prevent the same thing, now? Would Intel be targeted by the US government if AMD went under? Competition is great for all of us, even Intel, I think.

(Naive question, I know:))

He wasn't doing such a great job then. AMD is pretty far behind in many key areas of the market place.

It seemed to me that they were already pretty far behind before he took the helm. He definitely helped right the ship. Now I guess it will be up to the new person to keep the ship on course.

What, are they dropping out of the GPU race as well? :confused:

I believe this was from when they mentioned not trying to compete with Nvidia's top tier cards. I hope it doesn't mean GPUs all together.

AMD has been changing a lot for the past year. With Dr. Lisa Su at the helm, I can only see them prospering more. When was the last time that they had 1 billion in cash reserves?

AMD had to change cause the market and lenders were getting tired of them being a loosing bet. AMD is becoming the next Sony. Losing cash hand over fist until the creditors yell stop. Unfortunately AMD is unlike Sony in that AMD can't sell off large divisions in an effort to gain capital to save the rest. Who or what could AMD possibly spin/sell off? They already got rid of their Austin HQ to get a quick influx. What else do they have?

Hopefully Su can make a turn around story come true and stop the bleed. Read started by cutting expenditures but there is a long way to go. AMD sticking around is good for us since competition breeds innovation.

With regard to the $1B in cash reserves, be careful when thinking that means a company is healthy. AMD is having a heck of a time paying down debt and is still faced with $170-180M in annual interest payments. They sold their HQ for the same amount as 1 year of interest. Think about that.

Add in that AMD has yet to show a real increase in long term reliable profits and it might cause banks/investors to get tired/scared of underwriting big loans for a cash burning company. AMD could easily blow through that $1B reserve in no time.

Either AMD fixes their shit or they go away. No real buyer for AMD anymore either. Intel would be more apt to buying NV at this point and Apple doesn't need AMD anymore.

Hopefully it changes and I would buy stock if you can. Might be worth the gamble. :)

Why don't you go say these things to the workers on AMD to their face and see how far you get. Yeah, I thought so. :rolleyes:

Man this made me lol for some reason. Like is he going to be afraid of their reaction? They will use their nerd-fu skills to beat him down, throw him with a silicon wafer or what? LOLLLL WTF dude

I believe this was from when they mentioned not trying to compete with Nvidia's top tier cards. I hope it doesn't mean GPUs all together.
I remember they did this on one gpu cycle around 2007-2008 and they got shit stomped across the oems, client, and enterprise. After an abysmal product cycle they promptly gave up on that and came out with the 3xxx and then 4xxx series cards and became relevant again.

Looks like the captain is not going to go down with the ship.

Some people say ..
Rumours have been ...

This forum is littered with people crying that AMD is about to go down. The boy who cried wolf does not do it any justice....

AMD has been doing a lot of interesting stuff for awhile now, but not much of it has been very profitable for them. They're probably headed in the right direction, but until that proves to be the case the short-sellers are going to keep killing them.

I don't think we'll see AMD crash and burn anytime soon. They should be able to ride the wave from the consoles for a few years. The mining craze seemed to have helped them sale a shit load of GPUs, but I would imagine it's hurt their sales pretty bad now, seeing as so many people are buying second hand cards from miners way below msrp.

Maybe AMD isn't going to compete with the "Titan" cards of Nvidia. They really haven't tried to as of yet. Which sucks, because as long as Nvidia controls the top of the pyramid, they can set whatever prices they like. I feel like Nvidia is sandbagging somewhat right now because they know AMD doesn't have a competitor for the GTX 980 ready. And when AMD does come out with something new and shiny, Nvidia will be close behind with a couple new cards and maybe even some price drops to rain on AMDs parade (they cut the GTX780 from $650 to $500 when the 780Ti launched, would like to see similar when/if 980Ti launches).

I don't think we'll see AMD crash and burn anytime soon. They should be able to ride the wave from the consoles for a few years. The mining craze seemed to have helped them sale a shit load of GPUs, but I would imagine it's hurt their sales pretty bad now, seeing as so many people are buying second hand cards from miners way below msrp.

Maybe AMD isn't going to compete with the "Titan" cards of Nvidia. They really haven't tried to as of yet. Which sucks, because as long as Nvidia controls the top of the pyramid, they can set whatever prices they like. I feel like Nvidia is sandbagging somewhat right now because they know AMD doesn't have a competitor for the GTX 980 ready. And when AMD does come out with something new and shiny, Nvidia will be close behind with a couple new cards and maybe even some price drops to rain on AMDs parade (they cut the GTX780 from $650 to $500 when the 780Ti launched, would like to see similar when/if 980Ti launches).

They competed with and beat the Titans for far less money. The Titans as of now are only being bought by people with far more money than sense. What they haven't beaten yet is the 9xx series from Nvidia, but those have just released so it's to be expected.

I like their APUs (especially for HTPCs) and budget video cards, but it seems like they haven't been competing at the high-end for years now. If I have any real money to spend, I go Intel/nVidia. I owned an R9 290X for a few days and returned it and bought a 780Ti because it made my PC sound like a jet turbine that was getting ready for takeoff.

I think the AMD board needs a rework.
I liked Dirk Meyer but they pushed him out for more of a marketing guy (Rory).
Su is engineering oriented much like Meyer was it seems.
Seems like the board is backtracking?

Best of luck to AMD.

I don't think we'll see AMD crash and burn anytime soon. They should be able to ride the wave from the consoles for a few years.

What "console wave"? You do realize they sold their chips to Sony/MS at zero profit for the PR/marketing value, yes? There is no "console bump" reflected in their financials.

They competed with and beat the Titans for far less money. The Titans as of now are only being bought by people with far more money than sense. What they haven't beaten yet is the 9xx series from Nvidia, but those have just released so it's to be expected.

No offense but that's a little naive. Titans were intended for the professional applications/compute market, not angry gamerkids getting bent out of shape that they're "so expensive" because "Nvidia is just greedy".

Their stock just sunk below $3 and is still falling. If they don't pull a rabbit out of their hat next week, this could be it.

Back